Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2014, 08:12 AM   #61
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'll go ahead and toss something out here to all the Pentax is Doomed crowd, and that is as long as my K mount lenses will work on it with no problem, and thye keep the feel, value, and ergonomics of the Pentax bodies I've bought then I could care less if it says Ricoh.

02-06-2014, 08:13 AM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The PENTAX name will continue to appear on all of our interchangeable lens cameras, lenses and sport optics, while the Ricoh name will be reserved for our compact cameras
Does this mean the end of GXR system?
02-06-2014, 08:13 AM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
But pricing of some new items are seriously out of their mind, e.g. the 20-40 ltd, the x1.4 converter.
It is my humble opinion - and it is entirely a guess - that the amount of hand-work in a product drives its price. It appears Ricoh has invested to improve machine manufacturing processes on volume items and retained handwork on 'Limited' items.

I guess we pay for human skill and attention to detail.
02-06-2014, 08:14 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
Does this mean the end of GXR system?
The statement should be self-evident.

02-06-2014, 08:18 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Stop thinking of Pentax as a company... is a product line now .
02-06-2014, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Things happen....

Jeep was considered "doomed" at one point... it has always been a uniquely great vehicle. The original Jeep was made by Ford... Jeep has been owned by
so many companies I cannot count them all... AMC managed them poorly so Chrysler snatched Jeep up before they died completely.
They left the name on it but it became a vehicle with "Mopar" stamped all over it and a Jeep emblem on the fender... AND!!! became and MUCH better vehicle!
If they had renamed the Wrangler the "Chrysler Dust Mudder" or something silly like that yet still provided a great line of vehicles, I'd still buy them.

You see my point.... lets enjoy the spirit of this product line and hope the word "Pentax" stays in the mix somewhere.
02-06-2014, 09:31 AM   #67
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I think Jeep was saved by the SUV craze of the nineties and early aughts.

02-06-2014, 09:35 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skid2964 Quote
Things happen....

Jeep was considered "doomed" at one point... it has always been a uniquely great vehicle. The original Jeep was made by Ford... Jeep has been owned by
so many companies I cannot count them all... AMC managed them poorly so Chrysler snatched Jeep up before they died completely.
They left the name on it but it became a vehicle with "Mopar" stamped all over it and a Jeep emblem on the fender... AND!!! became and MUCH better vehicle!
If they had renamed the Wrangler the "Chrysler Dust Mudder" or something silly like that yet still provided a great line of vehicles, I'd still buy them.

You see my point.... lets enjoy the spirit of this product line and hope the word "Pentax" stays in the mix somewhere.
hm.... own a Liberty 05 and regret it after the gas price hiked.... But sometime watching videos showing how 'rugged' it is on Youtube makes me think I bought the right vehicle.....
but then I never took it to really rugged terrains....

come to think about it, is kind of like my Pentax Gear: always impress when I see someone pour water on it on Youtube, but never put my own camera in that situation...
02-06-2014, 09:40 AM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
I think Jeep was saved by the SUV craze of the nineties and early aughts.
Adequate to superior products still have to be offered to survive even during a "craze"...Lee Iacocco made sure of this and marketed them effectively. Pentax needs this also.
There is a consumer DSLR craze going on right now... I click "thumbs down" 99% of the time in PPG now.... but I am thankful for all the Pentax camera sales....
02-06-2014, 01:40 PM   #70
Pentaxian

(...)
The original Jeep was made by Ford...
(...)
Actually the first prototype was made by American Bantam Car Company
02-06-2014, 01:41 PM   #71
Pentaxian

(...)
The original Jeep was made by Ford...
(...)
Actually the first prototype was made by Bantam (American Bantam Car Company) and the first production batches divided between Ford and Willys-Overland.
02-06-2014, 01:55 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Kinda related to the discussion, you don't buy a "Dodge Ram" or "Dodge Viper" these days. It's a Ram 1500 (whatever trim) or an SRT Viper. Still the same thing, made by the same people, so who cares what the "make" blank says?

Personally, I can't wait till the GR's price starts with a 4 instead of a 6. I'm a Pentax fanboy--MX-1 ordered at 2am this morning--but that camera will be on the block once the GR has a big price drop. I'm glad to see Ricoh's commitment to the Pentax name on certain products; in fact, those products which enhance the brand's name like the 645/K mount/Q/binoculars/etc.

Now give us a Pentax K-02
02-06-2014, 02:05 PM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Personally, I can't wait till the GR's price starts with a 4 instead of a 6.
I couldn't wait.... I love my GR so much I don't care what name is on it...
They still accept my images in the PPG!

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Now give us a Pentax K-02
I agree 100%
02-06-2014, 02:45 PM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The name doesn't concern me. I am confused why one name instead of two. Would not one name let marketing dollars go further? Can someone who understands marketing explain?

As an example, there's a "Ricoh" billboard in NYC Times Square. The money spent on that does little for the Pentax brand. Similarly, Pentax marketing won't increase visibility of Ricoh cameras. Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc. use a single brand for all cameras regardless of format.
+ 1000
Today's clarification is probably just a temporary measure.
02-06-2014, 02:51 PM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Today's clarification is probably just a temporary measure.
Why on earth would you write that? Wasn't the letter clear enough? Ricoh and Pentave has repeatedly said Q, K and 645 are Pentax, compacts (and new technology like Theta) are Ricoh.

Do you have inside information? Do you know people in Ricoh or Pentax management?

Or are you so absolutely determined to stake Pentax that you're just stirring the pot for fun?