Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 37 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2014, 10:10 AM   #121
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Kinda related to the discussion, you don't buy a "Dodge Ram" or "Dodge Viper" these days. It's a Ram 1500 (whatever trim) or an SRT Viper.
This one baffles me as it goes against all branding logic. Why remove the "Dodge" name from the pickups and create a semi new brand at the same time their competitors are consolidating brands. It would be kind of like rebranding Pentax products as "Asahi" instead of keeping the Pentax name or going with Richo.

---------- Post added 02-07-14 at 12:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tlong423 Quote
What muddles that is every time Ricoh does stupid stuff like placing "Ricoh" on the back of the otherwise Pentax cameras.
I understand your point, and I was not happy to see Ricoh below the LCD screen of the K3 at first. I assumed is was step one in replacing the Pentax name. In retrospect however, I think it is an important move to tie the two brands together. I would like to see Pentax on the lens of all the higher end P&S Ricoh cameras, and Ricoh under the LCD of all Pentax DSLR's. This is a good way to tie the brands together. If Ricoh users are going to graduate to higher end cameras, Pentax needs to be identified as an extension of Ricoh. Otherwise those graduates are just as likely to buy a CaNikon.

Another option would have been to use the Pentax brand for all cameras, but for whatever reason it was not the option Ricoh chose.

Last edited by rangercarp; 02-07-2014 at 10:59 AM. Reason: gramer
02-07-2014, 11:24 AM   #122
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pntxjack Quote
Thank goodness, and thanks Adam. If I saw Ricoh instead of Pentax on my future lenses and bodies, I would be MORE tempted to switch to the "C word" brand, or maybe the "S word" brand.
Why?
To quote The Stratford Bard - "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" - (Romeo and Juliet)
I know it's an abridged quote but the concept remains

Research your requirements and how well they can be satisfied and by whom, then - pick the tool, not the name

(I am BTW an Intensive Care professional - I advise on suitability and performance for my Critical Care Units needs, not who makes the kit)
02-07-2014, 01:35 PM   #123
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
+1 again.
But actually i don't think they are asking anyone, just applying their "corporate cultural" inclination.
Branding is some king of experimental science, but "marketing" and "renommée" have their codes that shouldn't be ignored.
Or maybe some here really have completely ridiculous reactions and should think somewhat because they probably don't realize how silly they sound.
02-07-2014, 04:35 PM   #124

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
This one baffles me as it goes against all branding logic. Why remove the "Dodge" name from the pickups and create a semi new brand at the same time their competitors are consolidating brands.
I believe there's actually a real reason behind this one. I read recently about a study Ford conducted. Apparently people liked their vehicles right up to the point they found out they were Fords. I imagine Dodge came to a similar conclusion, thus give them the vehicles they like (the Ram and the Viper) and ditch what they don't like (Dodge).

02-07-2014, 04:53 PM   #125
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by meeverett Quote
I believe there's actually a real reason behind this one. I read recently about a study Ford conducted. Apparently people liked their vehicles right up to the point they found out they were Fords. I imagine Dodge came to a similar conclusion, thus give them the vehicles they like (the Ram and the Viper) and ditch what they don't like (Dodge).
You do understand that the people that buy Vipers really dont care much what its called.
02-07-2014, 04:58 PM   #126
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Corto-PA Quote
You do understand that the people that buy Vipers really dont care much what its called.
Neither do folks buying big dually diesels for farm work. All they care about is durability.
02-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #127
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
The K-3 actually says Ricoh 2 times, once on the back and once on the bottom. Pentax only once. Sorry, just joking, couldn't resist.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Put a Pentax lens on it - problem solved
And then I put a Hoya filter in front of it.
(Sorry I couldn't resist either)

02-07-2014, 05:52 PM   #128

Yeah, all 400 of them. They don't matter nearly as much as the 1,600 people that bought a Corvette Stingray instead or the people that spent their $100,000 on a Jag or new BMW, etc.

If branding really doesn't matter, why are we all sitting here discussing this particular announcement and why are there so many worked up about Ricoh being written on the back of the K3?
02-07-2014, 06:54 PM   #129
Forum Member

Cellphone v Camera

If camera manufacturers want to stay in business, they simply need to make cameras with the ability to send and receive phone calls, and send and receive text messages. Built-in Wi-Fi is going to be mandatory, and it may be advisable to install the ability to send and receive images via USB dongle or Bluetooth pairing with smartphone.
02-07-2014, 07:01 PM   #130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No, well, maybe all that.. but if they make a camera that posts images directly to Facebook, instant success... the "Facebook DSLR"...

QuoteOriginally posted by Beaugrand Quote
If camera manufacturers want to stay in business, they simply need to make cameras with the ability to send and receive phone calls, and send and receive text messages. Built-in Wi-Fi is going to be mandatory, and it may be advisable to install the ability to send and receive images via USB dongle or Bluetooth pairing with smartphone.
02-07-2014, 07:14 PM   #131
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by skid2964 Quote
but if they make a camera that posts images directly to Facebook, instant success... the "Facebook DSLR"...
an instant success like the Facebook Phone?

After Only A Month The Facebook Phone Is Down To 99 Cents - Forbes
02-07-2014, 07:26 PM   #132
Veteran Member

Somebody brought up the auto industry. Now that has lots of interesting examples that demonstrate the extremes of marketing/branding.

When GM launched the Saturn division, none of their advertising mentioned the GM name, and the GM logo was nowhere on the vehicle, under the hood, or inside the car. That was intentional, because GM had a horrid reputation for "badge engineering". (e.g., Cadillac Cimarron.) Everyone in the "auto enthusiast" circles knew that Saturns were made by GM, but I know for fact that many consumers (the people who actually matter) did not know. That was a huge success. They are not around any more but that has nothing to do with the original branding strategy.

When GM was downsizing, Pontiac and Oldsmobile lost out to Buick, mostly because Buick has a great reputation in China, for some historical reasons. Better known than Cadillac. In Hong Kong, a Mercedes is a taxi cab.

Fiat dropped the Dodge name from the trucks, as mentioned above, because they wanted to imply their trucks were a dedicated truck brand, for REAL truck people. I don't know whether that move has paid off.

Acura dropped the Legend and Integra model names, because .... those names became so popular, they were overshadowing the Acura brand itself! This is why they went with less-memorable model names like RL, TL, RSX, etc. Exactly what Lexus, BMW, Infinity, and MB, do.

Anyhow, my only point is that the auto industry is much, much bigger than the photography industry, and they spend much, much more money on branding. And their stories are all over the map, doing whatever they think suits them best. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.
02-07-2014, 07:28 PM   #133
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Neither do folks buying big dually diesels for farm work. All they care about is durability.
you do realize what the the next line is, don't you?

It has K-mount in it.
02-07-2014, 08:00 PM   #134
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
you do realize what the the next line is, don't you?

It has K-mount in it.
A Frozen K-mount ?

02-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #135
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A Frozen K-mount ?
K-mount on a stick.