Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 37 Likes Search this Thread
02-08-2014, 04:10 PM   #166
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Well that's confusing for folks with one brand being marketed by two owners.
It's'the same with Rolls-Royce for instance: the brand name belongs to Vickers for aircraft engines and to BMW for cars.

02-08-2014, 04:19 PM   #167
Pentaxian

And here there are separate domains (medical and consumer cameras) as well. Hoya and Ricoh are not the only companies using the Pentax brand, by the way I think Seiko "killed" their Pentax brand, though (can anyone confirm?)
02-08-2014, 04:25 PM   #168
Forum Member

I have a couple of Pentax cameras that carry the Honeywell name as well.
02-08-2014, 05:34 PM   #169
Forum Member

Interesting.

02-08-2014, 05:51 PM   #170
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I think Seiko "killed" their Pentax brand, though (can anyone confirm?)
SEIKO Optical Europe GmbH :: PENTAX
02-08-2014, 05:53 PM   #171

And here there are separate domains (medical and consumer cameras) as well. Hoya and Ricoh are not the only companies using the Pentax brand, by the way I think Seiko "killed" their Pentax brand, though (can anyone confirm?)
You can buy Pentax eyeglasses now, but I'm not sure if they're new products or not. Seiko Optical Instruments used to sell Pentax after it merged with Pentax glasses division.

BTW, there is one more company which sells Pentax products; TI Asahi, which makes and sells surveying instruments. Pentax's surveying instrument division was sold to Taiwan Instruments (that's why the company's name is "TI" Asahi). Its domain is "Pentaxsurveying.com".
02-08-2014, 05:56 PM   #172
Banned

So the Pentax-cake did get divided in many pieces.

02-08-2014, 06:03 PM   #173
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
4/10/12 Seiko and Hoya entered a basic strategic agreement to jointly develop and market eyewear. Epson simultaneously sold its eyewear operations to Hoya. I still see Pentax-branded lenses at my Optician but they could be old stock.
02-08-2014, 06:39 PM   #174
Site Supporter

My local Wal-Mart carries Nikon lenses...
02-08-2014, 06:54 PM   #175

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
My local Wal-Mart carries Nikon lenses...
Right. Nikon lenses are now in the hands of a joint company of Nikon and Essilor, French optics maker.
02-08-2014, 07:18 PM   #176
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Daikokuya Quote
Right. Nikon lenses are now in the hands of a joint company of Nikon and Essilor, French optics maker.
Who knows... maybe someday Pentax cameras/lenses could end up at Zeiss where I think the name was originally copyrighted way back.
02-08-2014, 07:21 PM   #177
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
Who knows... maybe someday Pentax cameras/lenses could end up at Zeiss where I think the name was originally copyrighted way back.
That trademark was vacated at the end of WW II along with all other German patents and trademarks. Pentax = Pentaprism + Contax. The Contax trademark is owned by Kyocera who stopped using it in 2005.
02-08-2014, 07:31 PM   #178
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
That trademark was vacated at the end of WW II along with all other German patents and trademarks. Pentax = Pentaprism + Contax. The Contax trademark is owned by Kyocera who stopped using it in 2005.
True.... but one never knows. It would be nice if a German optical company would make cameras that were close to being in the price point of the Japanese cameras. Heck.... why not an American company?
02-08-2014, 08:13 PM   #179
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
True.... but one never knows. It would be nice if a German optical company would make cameras that were close to being in the price point of the Japanese cameras. Heck.... why not an American company?
Because the names Polaroid and Kodak belong to the Chinese junk dealers now. Besides, Apple sells more cameras than any of the camera companies.
02-08-2014, 08:30 PM   #180
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Because the names Polaroid and Kodak belong to the Chinese junk dealers now. Besides, Apple sells more cameras than any of the camera companies.
I know.... guess that I'm just lamenting the fact that we just don't make hardly any quality consumer products here anymore. I don't mind buying quality Japanese and German products but I'd like to see the US making things like they did when I was a kid... and the Apple products are made in China..........