Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 89 Likes Search this Thread
02-17-2014, 05:03 PM   #196
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's never complete without "Pentax Is DOOOMED!!!" and arguments going back and forth about FF vs no FF.

02-17-2014, 05:17 PM   #197
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I thought I'd put my vote in for a 36mp APS-c for birding.... For other than those than NEED to crop or want really wwiiddee angles or are worried about DOF, the 24mp K3 APS-c is as good optically as a 50mp FF. Simple math. and the "size" of the pixels is not a valid sell (to me).... Maybe I'm slow. Too much time in the optics lab at RPI years ago. So I continue to be baffled at WHY FF (from an engineering POV... ) Like I said before... I'll buy the ~36mp KFF, use it for 6 mos, and likely pitch it...
02-17-2014, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #198
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Seriously?? Surely anyone who could be deflated by unfulfilled rumors has left long ago...............
Nah - I'm still here.
02-17-2014, 06:09 PM   #199
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
What will happen if Ricoh doesn't release a FF K-mount camera within the next 7 months? All this hype and rumor surrounding it could be very deflating to some people.. there is always a kilometer of rumor developed through a millimeter of information at the Pentax Forums.

This place is a rollercoaster of emotion surrounding a camera body with a Full Frame sensor..

FF is coming yay
oh wait it is not.. boo
but it still is on the radar yay
but not this year.. boo
looks like this year yay
nope just kidding.. boo
etc etc
According to asahi man this time it really is different (last 2 lines) and the occcasional single post by various users who were spot-on about the K5 and K5II.

For a really interesting take on Pentax' future, Search Posts by User (Show as Posts) and read them all.

But who really knows until later?

---------- Post added 02-17-14 at 08:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
Nah - I'm still here.
I still have my lenses after 10 years, but I'm finally buying DA's (so we know this time it really is coming).

02-17-2014, 08:00 PM - 1 Like   #200
Site Supporter

If we got a 50mp FF that did ISO 50-102,400, had dual slots, the selectable AA filter, selectable IR filter, dynamic range around 15 evs or so, and then autofocus down to -4ev with a size around K5 size and for 2,000 then I'll buy one. Otherwise, for now I am happy with my K5. Now lets get them to rebrand that new Tamron 150-600, add WR, and not mark it through the roof and that's a lens I'd like to see on the roadmap.
02-17-2014, 08:42 PM   #201
Veteran Member

What will happen if Ricoh doesn't release a FF K-mount camera within the next 7 months? All this hype and rumor surrounding it could be very deflating to some people.. there is always a kilometer of rumor developed through a millimeter of information at the Pentax Forums.

This place is a rollercoaster of emotion surrounding a camera body with a Full Frame sensor..

FF is coming yay
oh wait it is not.. boo
but not this year.. boo
looks like this year yay
nope just kidding.. boo
etc etc
Well, if Ricoh doesn't release a FF within the next 7 months, the hope for FF Pentax will keep on going.. There's a better probability for a FF camera and better Pentax products when Ricoh took over..
If a FF Pentax will be out for a longer time, there's the Sony A7 to fill the gap temporarily for people wanted to use their FF Pentax lenses in its full capability..
02-17-2014, 08:45 PM   #202
Site Supporter

I think the next 645D is nothing to sneeze at.

02-17-2014, 09:00 PM   #203
Veteran Member

Pentax digital full frame is inevitable in the K mount space, like the inevitability of inclusive language in the English language space.

FF is the natural home of the K-mount. All the rationalising about the strengths of APS-C and all the denial of the strengths of 35 mm full frame will not keep Ricoh from HAVING to compete with a FF K-mount system to keep the K-mount relevant. Otherwise the K-mount makes no sense and is dead long term in the digital age. It would be better to move now to the Sony FE mount or some other smaller mirrorless APS-C or FF custom-designed digital system. The K-mount has no future if there is no K digital full frame. It's so obvious.

Last edited by Gray; 02-17-2014 at 09:13 PM.
02-17-2014, 09:01 PM   #204
Site Supporter

Ohh, I imagine they will have one at some point.
02-17-2014, 10:31 PM - 1 Like   #205
Banned

Of course they will have one. The only point where people are misunderstanding the situation is how should Ricoh Imaging live in the meantime and make money, while the FF in an overall market is still below 10% of all DSLRs sold, and even less so in the mirrorless market. Which means, cameras other than 135 format sensored cameras comprise 90-95% of the total market. FF is a niche, yet already richly furnished. In 6+ last years it hasn't moved above the single digit % of all camera sales. So on what basis some people expect all cameras to become FF in the near future?

Whoever has done some basics of economy knows that resources for any company are limited, and must be used wisely. To invest greatly into extraordinary demanding needs of an FF system, but enjoy only perhaps 5-10% of overall sales (and at the same start a fierce competition in such a limited market to immediately diminish proposed value of the product) makes very little sense.

At least it makes no sense at this stage, when the % of FF sales are not in double digits, and majority of customers do not care too much about the FF at all.

If that changes, of course there will be an FF camera from Pentax. But it is important to understand that what camera geeks and gear snobs desire and fantasise about, is totally separated from any common sense or viable economy. And is simply not justifiable.

On the other hand, the MF market is interesting; sales to the end customers in that market are very limited. However, sales in the industry/government/services sector, by using the MF as a ticket to it, can be enormous. And the ROI on MF investment is then far greater, which allows for other important projects to roll on, not only exhausting engagements in the severe and unpredictable end user’s market.

Last edited by Uluru; 02-17-2014 at 10:37 PM.
02-17-2014, 10:36 PM   #206
Site Supporter

I still say whoever makes a selectable ir filter in an ILC camera will tap a market that no one else has, not only for forensic use, but for art photography. Imagine that with a selectable IR white balance.
02-18-2014, 03:55 AM   #207
Forum Member

I'll make my contribution here, based on absolutely no available facts, just speculation on my part...

Imagine Pentax/Ricoh released FF and a lens line-up, this would be the first fruit of Ricoh's involvement, with fewer skeleton's of previous ownership..

Camera will have a new name
Lenses for this new FF will not be DA/DA*/D-Fa - I am sure there will be a new designation..

You heard it here first.
02-18-2014, 04:37 AM   #208
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FF is coming yay
oh wait it is not.. boo
but not this year.. boo
looks like this year yay
nope just kidding.. boo
etc etc
I think full frame is coming. I also think that a number of the folks who talk a lot about it will probably not buy one because it will be expensive (closer to D800 level than 6D) and the reality is that the K3 is an awful lot of camera already and would satisfy most people's needs.

I am not too worried either way, but it feels like the time is right. Ricoh is clearly working on glass behind the scenes and not telling us much about it, my guess is because it is full frame glass. Unfortunately, often the people who talk the loudest have little real information.
02-18-2014, 05:03 AM   #209
Pentaxian

Roadmap still not FF friendly, hence, apsc all the way. FF wishers can switch anytime.

Last edited by wed7; 02-18-2014 at 05:09 AM.
02-18-2014, 05:04 AM   #210
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
... Ricoh is clearly working on glass behind the scenes and not telling us much about it, my guess is because it is full frame glass. Unfortunately, often the people who talk the loudest have little real information.
The FF project is covered with such a thick cloak of secrecy that even Ricoh's CEO knows nothing about it.