Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2014, 02:28 PM   #331
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
It would work only in live-view mode, for example in low-light conditions if you need better contrast, or when trying to adjust thin depth of field in sunny conditions with picking.
In LiveView mode is it an optical viewfinder? It can be OVF when the mirror is down and EVF when the mirror is up (oh wait, we already have that on the LCD), but how can it be both at the same time?

05-21-2014, 03:01 PM   #332

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
Well as a matter of fact, it's not a game at all, and the 645z, particularly the FA 645 lenses, will lead to delays with the production of new lenses. If you go over to B & H, only around half of the FA 645 lenses recently introduced into the American market are in stock. The rest are listed as "New Item, Available for Pre-Order." This indicates that in order to introduce the FA 645 lenses into the U.S. market, new batches of each lens had to be run off. That means the assembly line had to be retooled for each lens, which takes time. When they're done with the FA 645 lenses, maybe they can get around to running off a batch of their new telephoto zoom lens.

Some of the other lenses on the roadmap look to be replacement lenses for existing stock. The rumored 18-70/2.8-4 looks to be a replacement for the SDM cursed17-70; and the new wide angle zoom is almost certainly a replacement for the DA 12-24. There's less of a need to get these replacement lenses out right away, since they won't add anything substantially new.
Why would they do a 2.8-4 instead of doing something like 24-70/2.8? If they put out a WR lens that matched up to the Tamron spec in that range I would buy it in a second. Especially if it was reasonably priced.
05-21-2014, 03:07 PM   #333
Pentaxian

For a general purpose lens, 24-70 wouldn't be wide enough. Most people want less than 20mm at the wide end.
05-21-2014, 04:24 PM   #334
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
In LiveView mode is it an optical viewfinder? It can be OVF when the mirror is down and EVF when the mirror is up (oh wait, we already have that on the LCD), but how can it be both at the same time?
Here's how I think it'd work. The EVF panel is bigger than the OVF image, so there is an area around the OVF where shooting information can be displayed.

In EVF mode
- The image is shown just like a mirror less camera.
- Focus peaking and magnified live view are available.

In OVF mode
- The EVF does the job of displaying shooting information around the OVF. Currently a separate display is used. The difference is that you can now customize what information is shown and in what way.
- The EVF does the job of indicating active focus points by overlaying the OVF image.
- The EVF overlay can overlay previously unavailable information, such as a histogram or blown highlight warning on the OVF image.
- Blown highlights might seem impossible to assess without sensor readout, but the K-3 has a 89,000 pixel metering sensor, so I think that is probably fine enough to show highlights.

So if it is feasible to do it, I don't see many downsides to a hybrid EVF.

05-21-2014, 04:56 PM   #335
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Here's how I think it'd work. The EVF panel is bigger than the OVF image, so there is an area around the OVF where shooting information can be displayed.
- Blown highlights might seem impossible to assess without sensor readout, but the K-3 has a 89,000 pixel metering sensor, so I think that is probably fine enough to show highlights.

So if it is feasible to do it, I don't see many downsides to a hybrid EVF.
Yes, I was thinking that too. 89,000 pixels means the X x Y size of the sensor is some 366 x 246 pixels. I am not certain how the metering sensor works exactly in case of K-3, but in theory, and if it reads information constantly, that information could be overlaid visually over the OVF with mirror down. Depending on the capacity / features of the metering sensor, we can have something like a "Predator" view screen overlay. Starting from highlights to darks, under- and over-exposure, RGB filters applied, etc.

In theory, it can all work so very fast — instantaneous — without a typical lag of the EVF which draws all information form the main sensor, applies effects, etc. In short, the could be a small revolution in digital imaging. The sum of OVF and EVF is a tech greater than all its parts.

Last edited by Uluru; 05-21-2014 at 05:12 PM.
05-21-2014, 06:38 PM   #336
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
Well as a matter of fact, it's not a game at all, and the 645z, particularly the FA 645 lenses, will lead to delays with the production of new lenses. If you go over to B & H, only around half of the FA 645 lenses recently introduced into the American market are in stock. The rest are listed as "New Item, Available for Pre-Order." This indicates that in order to introduce the FA 645 lenses into the U.S. market, new batches of each lens had to be run off. That means the assembly line had to be retooled for each lens, which takes time. When they're done with the FA 645 lenses, maybe they can get around to running off a batch of their new telephoto zoom lens.
Production of lenses works differently: not only one lens is made at the time. And even if it is difficult to sustain orders for three mounts in one fab, there are numerous third party suppliers in Japan that may be hired to work on some lenses. That market is highly developed there. Lens components are then transported into the coating / assembly fab. To make FA 645 lenses (designed 20+ years ago and sold today) one needs no space-age fab.

QuoteQuote:
Some of the other lenses on the roadmap look to be replacement lenses for existing stock. The rumored 18-70/2.8-4 looks to be a replacement for the SDM cursed17-70; and the new wide angle zoom is almost certainly a replacement for the DA 12-24. There's less of a need to get these replacement lenses out right away, since they won't add anything substantially new.
Not quite. Ricoh Imaging switches slowly onto the new manufacture and finishing of the lenses, and it is far more expensive for them to have two lines of lenses — SMC and HD — than HD alone. Then SDM and whatever else. One reason they are switching to HD is because HD is cheaper, but we are paying extra for the opportunity cost of not switching. So yes, we are paying extra for Ricoh’s delay, and yes, Ricoh multiple rebranding exercises and red tape cost on vanity fair could have been used in lowering of that cost.

It is indeed in Ricoh’s and user's interest to release as many new lenses as possible, especially those which were discontinued in the last few years (quality normal zooms for example), and no replacements for them ever made. Instead, users are buying Sigma and Tamron substitutes, which are scarcely available. For many potential users it is easier then to buy into Nikon and Canon, as lenses are available and supplied steadily even from Sigma and Tamron for those mounts.

In short, the non-commitment hurts on both ends and increases the cost of owning the Pentax equipment.
05-21-2014, 07:23 PM   #337
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You'd have to project an EVF overlay through the ocular. That's a kludge; not a hybrid.

Works on the X100/X-Pros because they use a different optical light path than an SLR and they slide glass in to change the source.

05-21-2014, 07:42 PM   #338
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
You'd have to project an EVF overlay through the ocular. That's a kludge; not a hybrid.

Works on the X100/X-Pros because they use a different optical light path than an SLR and they slide glass in to change the source.
What is the problem indeed? Even without an overlay on top of OVF, OVF works when mirror is down. Just as normal DSLR.
When mirror is up, the OVF is blocked, but the EVF part in the eyepiece may be "moved up" and show the image from sensor in the eyepiece.
When the mirror is down again, EVF part in the eyepiece moves down and we see the image from the mirror.
05-21-2014, 07:51 PM   #339
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
What is the problem indeed? Even without an overlay on top of OVF, OVF works when mirror is down. Just as normal DSLR.
When mirror is up, the OVF is blocked, but the EVF part in the eyepiece may be "moved up" and show the image from sensor in the eyepiece.
When the mirror is down again, EVF part in the eyepiece moves down and we see the image from the mirror.
Live View against my forehead isn't a big deal to me. An OVF with Focus Peaking or exposure blinkies projected would be.
05-21-2014, 08:05 PM   #340
Banned

Live View against my forehead isn't a big deal to me. An OVF with Focus Peaking or exposure blinkies projected would be.
OVF:
– Focus peaking impossible without a direct sensor readout (when mirror is down).
– But exposure blinkies would be possible, if the data comes from a metering sensor and is overlaid on top of OVF image.

Still, this does not exclude some additional tech / solution to enable very precise OVF manual focusing (which is basically same thing as focus peaking with mirrorless cameras).

EVF:
– Focus peaking possible
– Exposure blinkies possible too.

And it is possible to have all of these — OVF + EVF as above — in one camera, yes.
05-21-2014, 10:00 PM   #341
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
what about in-camera focus stacking, or can the K-3 already do that?
05-21-2014, 11:18 PM   #342

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
For a general purpose lens, 24-70 wouldn't be wide enough. Most people want less than 20mm at the wide end.
That's why tamron - and sigma - do the 18-35/2.8.

If you are shooting snapshots, kids, action whatever and want a general use low light lens with fixed aperture all the way though the 24-70 range makes more sense to me. The 18-35 will satisfy wide angle users. Personally i would rather have the 2.8 all the way through then getting more reach on the wide end.
05-21-2014, 11:24 PM   #343
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TzalamChadash Quote
If you are shooting snapshots, kids, action whatever and want a general use low light lens with fixed aperture all the way though the 24-70 range makes more sense to me. The 18-35 will satisfy wide angle users. Personally i would rather have the 2.8 all the way through then getting more reach on the wide end.
I much prefer a constant aperture too, but being able to have a single lens that goes as wide as 18mm while also going to 50 or 70mm on the telephoto end is important.
05-22-2014, 01:50 AM   #344

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I much prefer a constant aperture too, but being able to have a single lens that goes as wide as 18mm while also going to 50 or 70mm on the telephoto end is important.
sure. agree. But I already have the 18-135,
so if I was going to get an indoor low light lens I'd prefer constant fast aperature over a shorter range to variable apertaure over a longer range. especially as most of my shots will be between 35-70 MM so would prefer to have the 2.8 on that range.
05-22-2014, 02:08 AM   #345
Pentaxian

As per Uluru's post: No Pentax K1 then, but a "Pentax Predator". That should give the marketing people (all two of them!) something to work with.