Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 89 Likes Search this Thread
05-29-2014, 08:06 AM   #481
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Yes, that's great. But I meant in the mothership in Japan where (I am guessing) all the big decisions are taken.
Why would they have a "foreigner" in Japan directing marketing operations overseas, instead of doing that locally?

By the way, do you know any non-Japanese having a top-ranked position at Canon?

05-29-2014, 08:22 AM   #482
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Why would they have a "foreigner" in Japan directing marketing operations overseas, instead of doing that locally?

Hypothetical, but: Because they could see what Ghosn did for Nissan?

Carlos Ghosn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
05-29-2014, 08:23 AM   #483
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Sorry, not biting. It's go nothing to do with the point. It must be plain what I meant which has nothing to do with anyone's nationality - see the interviews given by Fuji, e.g., and the kind of people who give them. They do not carry on with Western journos as if being subjected to some kind of awful torture unlike the most recent interviews with Pentax folk I have seen on this site. I would suggest that is because their whole company has a more international outlook.
05-29-2014, 08:41 AM   #484
Pentaxian

Yes, I've always thought that the Japan angle was the key to what goes on with Ricoh and photography. It doesn't seem to be a multinational effort in the way that, say, Canon and Nikon are.
Well, let's look at my recent purchases of Pentax products:

K-50 assembled in the Philippines;
DA 20-40 assembled in Vietnam;
Q 03 assembled in Thailand.

Following the demise of the "Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere,"
that's not Japanese, that's multinational!

05-29-2014, 08:43 AM   #485
Pentaxian

I'm just trying to understand what kind of "bold new hires in their photography marketing and sales divisions" you're talking about, and if any other camera maker did it before.
Except Olympus, for which it didn't go well (but those were some extraordinary circumstances)

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Hypothetical, but: Because they could see what Ghosn did for Nissan?

Carlos Ghosn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The last thing they need is a Carlos Ghosn (i.e. cost cutting). Hoya did a very thorough job at that

lytrytyr, another example could be the K-01, designed by Marc Newson.
05-29-2014, 09:55 AM   #486
Veteran Member

Well, let's look at my recent purchases of Pentax products: K-50 assembled in the Philippines; DA 20-40 assembled in Vietnam; Q 03 assembled in Thailand.
I was just thinking the other day: my K-3 special edition was assembled in the Philippines; my DA* 16-50 lens was assembled in Vietnam; but my camera strap was proudly stamped, "made in Japan"!
05-29-2014, 02:33 PM   #487
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Hang on, let's not get carried away here. I have been a business copier/printer/network services client of Ricoh's for almost 8 years. Not once has anyone invited/mentioned/discussed ANYTHING about future copier direction/new models/future plans. In fact I have worked with 4 different sales people and 3 different repair techs and NONE of them have had any idea what is happening at Ricoh beyond what model they are told to sell this month.
I have worked 8 years in printing business too, and yes, we were regularly invited by Xerox and Konica-Minolta and informed about the next generation of their machines and document solution. We were active participants o their service system too. That is how they kept is within the loop, ensuring our loyalty and allowing planning strategies for own business.

05-29-2014, 05:03 PM   #488
Banned

Sorry, not biting. It's go nothing to do with the point. It must be plain what I meant which has nothing to do with anyone's nationality - see the interviews given by Fuji, e.g., and the kind of people who give them. They do not carry on with Western journos as if being subjected to some kind of awful torture unlike the most recent interviews with Pentax folk I have seen on this site. I would suggest that is because their whole company has a more international outlook.
I actually expected interviewers and interviewees pull out swords for a duel at some stage, or at least hear some nasty Klingon curse for behaving without honour during the interviews (feeling disinterested and dismissive)

---------- Post added 05-30-2014 at 10:04 AM ----------

lytrytyr, another example could be the K-01, designed by Marc Newson.
Hoya invited him and paid his bill. That, and the new Q system, was the Hoya's farewell gift to Pentax.

Last edited by Uluru; 05-29-2014 at 05:09 PM.
05-29-2014, 05:27 PM   #489

Original Poster

None. Really. Even Toyota has only one executive position for non-Japanese. All executive decisions in major Japanese corporations are strictly made by Japanese. Some non-Japanese might have director-level jobs, but it tends to be a figurehead. Carlos Ghosn or former Sony CEO Howard Stringer is a very rare example.

By the way, Japanese corporations usually don't lay off those (mostly Japanese) who are hired in Japan due to a strict labor law, but easily cut off redundancies in overseas operations. What a wonderful nation, huh?

However, you really have to persevere under huge pressure. For example, you have to work overtime for 1500 to 2000 hours yearly in Nikon or Sony. It's an OVERTIME, not regular, which means that you work for at least 3000 hours in a year. What a splendid company is it!
05-29-2014, 05:56 PM   #490
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

K-50 assembled in the Philippines;
DA 20-40 assembled in Vietnam;
Q 03 assembled in Thailand.
Multinational commerce/exploitation!

My guess is that the Filipinos, Vietnamese and Thais don't get a board vote - they understand their place in all this.

Last edited by clackers; 05-29-2014 at 06:24 PM.
05-29-2014, 08:41 PM   #491
JPT
Pentaxian

Most Japanese companies are happy to hire non-Japanese staff if they have the relevant skills, which means having the relevant business background AND being fluent in Japanese. I don't think this is in any way discriminatory - it's just common sense. If an employee can't communicate in Japanese, then you pretty much have to have a full-time assistant for him or her to translate everything. Not really worth it unless you are at the Carlos Ghosn level. Hiring a bilingual foreigner with a good background in tech marketing would be very difficult, not to mention expensive.

Actually, one of the recent interviews was done with a marketing guy that had worked at Sony previously (Murano, I think), so it seems that Ricoh IS making some aggressive hires. But why is it that it falls to Ricoh Japan to talk to Pentax Forums? I'm aware of three names in Ricoh Imaging's USA office. Shouldn't it be their job to speak to the US media?
05-29-2014, 10:33 PM   #492
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Most Japanese companies are happy to hire non-Japanese staff if they have the relevant skills, which means having the relevant business background AND being fluent in Japanese. I don't think this is in any way discriminatory - it's just common sense. If an employee can't communicate in Japanese, then you pretty much have to have a full-time assistant for him or her to translate everything. Not really worth it unless you are at the Carlos Ghosn level. Hiring a bilingual foreigner with a good background in tech marketing would be very difficult, not to mention expensive.
I'm not sure that the reasons are entirely practical, as you're suggesting, rather than partly cultural, JPT.

As I understand it, Japanese companies have often sent someone to foreign countries to be the head of divisions in situations where Western companies might go for a local.

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Actually, one of the recent interviews was done with a marketing guy that had worked at Sony previously (Murano, I think), so it seems that Ricoh IS making some aggressive hires. But why is it that it falls to Ricoh Japan to talk to Pentax Forums? I'm aware of three names in Ricoh Imaging's USA office. Shouldn't it be their job to speak to the US media?
TBH, I'd rather hear from someone as close as possible to the decision making process.

Chinese - in this case, Japanese - whispers, etc.

For instance, https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/246044-interview-ch...ing-japan.html
05-30-2014, 12:09 AM   #493
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I actually expected interviewers and interviewees pull out swords for a duel at some stage, or at least hear some nasty Klingon curse for behaving without honour during the interviews (feeling disinterested and dismissive)
Imaging Resource's interview was actually quite nice. Maybe the interviewer's experience matters?
05-30-2014, 02:22 AM   #494
Banned

Imaging Resource's interview was actually quite nice. Maybe the interviewer's experience matters?
IR interviewer had a GR to appease the Ricoh and make them smile :-)
Also, please note that from recently, all official talkers are Ricoh's people who never worked for Pentax before.
05-30-2014, 03:34 AM   #495
Pentaxian

Much better than: "You! Yes! You behind the bikesheds! Stand still (and answer my questions), laddie!"