Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2014, 09:02 AM   #61
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
70-200mm tele must be a rebadge Tamron. But i hope it aint so.��
actually, if they'd rebadge the old tamron but with seals and faster focusing, it would be a home run lens

02-06-2014, 09:03 AM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
If Ricoh really wants to surprise us, they'll make it an f/2.0 - f/2.8.
Hah hah - everybody would moan about the price!!
02-06-2014, 09:10 AM   #63

Photos: Albums
I'm in for the 70-200 or even a 28-70 ish. But whatever it is, do we need to be cautious until the design "proves" itself? In other words, suppose Pentax creates a new design for the optics of the 70-200, do we need to be cautious, waiting until they work out the bugs and prove that the different design is worth it?
02-06-2014, 09:13 AM   #64
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
You will be able to comfortably carry the extra weight because your wallet will be so much lighter.

02-06-2014, 09:29 AM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
Because they hope to buy a 24-70 and a 70-200 at Tamron prices instead of Nikon or Canon-like prices.
We saw how well it went in the past, with the actual Tamron rebadges. It would be more expensive, and wouldn't have Pentax-related tech (e.g. DC motor, HD coatings, solid *-like construction etc).

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
Were not! It's just it always happen. That why we are hoping it is a new one a real Pentax Design!
Do you care to elaborate? IMO it happens less than "always", as almost every Pentax-branded lens is not a Tamron in disguise.

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Maybe because Pentax/Ricoh have only managed to design one truly new zoom lens in the last few years (HD 20 - 40)?
And? Should we forget what they're actually capable of, just because the last Hoya years and then being taken over by Ricoh (and working hard to fix things) was disruptive to their product launches?
Even with Tokina, most optical designs were Pentax', and it wasn't a rebadge - both made their own versions, with their own barrels and technology (probably even the elements were separately made).
02-06-2014, 09:37 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
And? Should we forget what they're actually capable of, just because the last Hoya years and then being taken over by Ricoh (and working hard to fix things) was disruptive to their product launches?
Even with Tokina, most optical designs were Pentax', and it wasn't a rebadge - both made their own versions, with their own barrels and technology (probably even the elements were separately made).
Do we know what they're currently capable of? I think this was my point about rebadging -- until we see what they can design and produce on their own beyond one new lens every few years, rebadging at least is an option to get more K-mount product out there for people to consider.
02-06-2014, 09:40 AM   #67
Inactive Account

Two chefs might use the same recipe and follow it faithfully but their final results might be very different in terms of taste and presentation. A patent or optical design is like a recipe and there is still lots of room for improvisation and ways to screw it up or make it a little better while still following it.

02-06-2014, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #68
Pentaxian

And then people will complain that it is not constant aperture!
02-06-2014, 09:45 AM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do we know what they're currently capable of? I think this was my point about rebadging -- until we see what they can design and produce on their own beyond one new lens every few years, rebadging at least is an option to get more K-mount product out there for people to consider.
Actually, good point. I recall Ricoh talking about rehiring optical engineers, but never heard about actual actions. I recall hearing it took longer than expected to 'merge' the two engineering staffs, but never heard about actual outcomes.

However, I surmise the investment in optical engineering has been similar to the investment in manufacturing processes. Just guessing here, but I would bet Ricoh has invested in CAD technology and in people who know how to operate it so they can design lenses suited to take advantage of the new manufacturing processes. There can be no assurance that a Pentax optical engineer who was skilled at designing optics suited to Pentax manufacturing processes could transfer (his) skills to a new Ricoh process flow.

Secondly, I haven't counted - but - how many TOTAL lenses have we seen including Q and 645?

Now that (presumably) the transition is completed perhaps we can expect a significant increase in new lens announcements. Perhaps they will cover larger image circles than we are accustomed to seeing from Pentax (and that might be a reason they're under wraps).

Disclaimer - all of the above if entirely guesses.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-06-2014 at 09:50 AM.
02-06-2014, 10:01 AM   #70
Veteran Member

We saw how well it went in the past, with the actual Tamron rebadges. It would be more expensive, and wouldn't have Pentax-related tech (e.g. DC motor, HD coatings, solid *-like construction etc).
Sure. But they hope nevertheless.
02-06-2014, 10:05 AM   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
The FA* 80-200 is 16 elements is 13 groups, so it is probably derived from that
Well, if the new version covers a different focal range (70-200) and sports 23 elements, it looks like a new design. The FA* 80-200 was designed over 20 years, using inferior coating technology. With the HD coatings, Pentax can design a lens with more glass, like the current Canon 70-200 and the newer Tamron.

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
There are also 16-70mm F4 Patents
That's probably the DA* standard zoom that was removed to make was for the rumor 18-70 f? lens.
02-06-2014, 10:06 AM   #72
Pentaxian

We know Pentax does not and should not rebadge its * lenses. And that Ricoh is fixing things, not break them further.
02-06-2014, 10:10 AM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
I'm guessing the 17-70 f4 will go... because it doesn't seem Ricoh will HD-ify it. Maybe the new lens will also be 2.8-4.5 or something
There was a rumor a few months back that the new lens would be an f2.8 constant. If so, the 17-70 may still live to see another day. If the new lens is variable aperture or constant f4, the 17-70 is doomed.
02-06-2014, 10:21 AM   #74

Photos: Albums
So, I was considering buying in the next month or so a tele-zoom in the 70-200 range (sigma or tamron) or maybe even a nice FA* 80-200 on Ebay. Should I wait and see what Pentax is up to? How soon do you think we’ll know being that Pentax’s press release about CP+ only mentioned things pertaining to the 645?
02-06-2014, 10:27 AM   #75
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
It is but opposed to the 24-70 a 70-200/2.8 will be even more useful on APS than FF so makes sense to release one "early".
That actually does make sense. Since the 70-200 would be useful on either FF or APS-C, they could release it prior to a FF camera. Since it's 2.8, it should be fine with the new TC coming. I really don't see them releasing a 24-70 until they release a FF to go with it.