Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 89 Likes Search this Thread
05-24-2014, 09:37 AM   #391
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
So, we're all doomed?
I actually think that Ricoh is going about it the right way. They seem to be going about things so that they survive. Ricoh seems to focus on value propositions rather than splashy fads. Every camera on the market takes great photos. The difference is identifying specific markets and serving them well. And being profitable.

05-24-2014, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #392
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arne.oestlund Quote
I do not understand the expression awkward focal length.
That expression is beyond stupid. A focal length is what it is. It either suits your purpose or it doesn't. There's nothing "awkward" about it.

A small prime lens with bicycle handles attached to it... that would be awkward.

A zoom lens with a bright pink phallic symbol painted on it... that would be awkward.

A telephoto lens with razor sharp blades around the focus ring... that would be awkward.

But a lens that provides a specific focal length that some photographers can make use of? Not awkward at all. If you have no use for that focal length in your photography endeavors, why are you buying that lens and then bitching about its focal length? It boggles the mind...
05-24-2014, 12:02 PM   #393
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote

A telephoto lens with razor sharp blades around the focus ring... that would be awkward.
I want this... it's like a bayonet for my bayonet mount lens! Perfect for stabbing photo bombers!

---------- Post added 05-24-2014 at 01:14 PM ----------

The 40 was my first AF capable prime, and I still have it today and I still love it today. Even more, when I got my '43 it has become my second most used lens after my 77.

Odd focal lengths? who cares. it works for me, they help me create the images I want!
05-24-2014, 12:38 PM   #394

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
It's called a Sony SLT.

---------- Post added 05-22-14 at 10:16 AM ----------

For indoor photos of the kids I use my Tamron 17-50/2.8. Excellent glass.

Outdoors in any weather, the 18-135 WR.
I would probably get the 28-75/2.8

05-24-2014, 01:11 PM   #395
Pentaxian

I have a Tokina ATX PRO 28-70/2, 8 and really want Pentax HD 24-80/2, 8
05-24-2014, 03:22 PM   #396
Veteran Member

As I see it, the current situation is like this. Some amateur photographers are dropping their DSLR in favor of smartphones. Of course, some will stay, but the market will shrink, from 20+ million cameras per year to maybe a half, and after this will stabilize. The same will be for lenses. And because the laws of optics can't be changed, and a new type of cameras/lens system with similar IQ is not on the horizon, a number of enthusiasts will stay with their DSLR. Sorely, these enthusiast photographers will want more performance, and I think that the FF cameras share of the market will increase. And of course, high quality lenses will be requested as well. But I think that every manufacturer will reduce the number of lens models. Maybe more high quality zoom lenses, and a smaller number of fixed focal lenses will be the trend.

Anyway, that's my opinion. And looking at the Pentax lens roadmap, it seems like this can be the future.

Last edited by JimmyDranox; 05-24-2014 at 03:29 PM.
05-24-2014, 05:27 PM   #397
Pentaxian

Oh hey, you misspelled "awesome."

05-25-2014, 03:09 AM   #398
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I actually think that Ricoh is going about it the right way. They seem to be going about things so that they...
How do you know which way they go? Like any of us, you don't know anything about Ricoh's strategy. But you, and all of us at PF, think we know what Ricoh means for the future by analysing endlessly irrelevant little bits and pieces shown from time to time. We have been analysing Pentax situation during the last 3 years to death. We have written terabytes of data, developed millions of ideas ourselves, analysed from all points of view.

If something out of that jumble comes out to be true, and it is 100% chance it will happen, then we'll think it's "Ricoh's brilliant idea and they are doing the right thing". No, we have expectations and our experiment is rigged. In fact, we'll give them the right to do anything, and everything will be right and "in our best interest", as long as they don't lock the shop next morning.

But if they stay around, then they have developed a "remarkable strategy".

So hold on your ball, Diego Maradona. It is only us, and we are all playing imaginary games with ourselves. Ricoh has not done anything substantial, or moved far enough that would show anyone who is impartial which way they'll go.
05-25-2014, 03:26 AM   #399
Pentaxian

Talk for yourself. People willing to listen and see have more information than you think.
05-25-2014, 11:12 AM   #400
Veteran Member

That expression is beyond stupid. A focal length is what it is. It either suits your purpose or it doesn't. There's nothing "awkward" about it.

A small prime lens with bicycle handles attached to it... that would be awkward.

A zoom lens with a bright pink phallic symbol painted on it... that would be awkward.

But a lens that provides a specific focal length that some photographers can make use of? Not awkward at all. If you have no use for that focal length in your photography endeavors, why are you buying that lens and then bitching about its focal length? It boggles the mind...
Everyone on this forum knows what I was talking about but because many jumped on my less-than-perfect choice of a word (instead of what I was inferring), it only solidifies my view that I must have been at least partially right. Would folks be more satisfied if I chose to use the term "less favored"?

I believe it was Pentax's primary lens designed who said the FA 43 Ltd. was designed as the ideal focal length for a standard or normal lens. Of course he designed it for the 35 mm format so that translates to 29 mm on APS-C. I've never heard anyone declare 60 mm (35 mm format) as ideal for portrait so what is this 60 mm equivalent length ideal for, anyway?

Much more to the point, the fact that we can only find one good pancake lens without a focus motor that's actually smaller than some other lenses that do have focus motors ought to tell us all we need to know that screw drive is not some necessary holy grail for achieving a compact design. My view remains that Pentax/Ricoh should be redesigning all screw drive lenses of any significant volume to use electric focus motors.
05-25-2014, 11:30 AM   #401
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
How do you know which way they go? Like any of us, you don't know anything about Ricoh's strategy. But you, and all of us at PF, think we know what Ricoh means for the future by analysing endlessly irrelevant little bits and pieces shown from time to time. We have been analysing Pentax situation during the last 3 years to death. We have written terabytes of data, developed millions of ideas ourselves, analysed from all points of view.

If something out of that jumble comes out to be true, and it is 100% chance it will happen, then we'll think it's "Ricoh's brilliant idea and they are doing the right thing". No, we have expectations and our experiment is rigged. In fact, we'll give them the right to do anything, and everything will be right and "in our best interest", as long as they don't lock the shop next morning.

But if they stay around, then they have developed a "remarkable strategy".

So hold on your ball, Diego Maradona. It is only us, and we are all playing imaginary games with ourselves. Ricoh has not done anything substantial, or moved far enough that would show anyone who is impartial which way they'll go.
I respectfully disagree. I have bought or plan to buy almost every one of the concrete signals that Ricoh has put out into the market place. Every one of them seems as if it was made for me, for my needs and desires. I even really really want a 645Z, but have to choose between that and a long lens. I even have appreciated the lull in new products; I bought a second body and a good tripod.

As for what comes out next, probably by late fall there will be something equally compelling. They still have to be in operation for that to happen. That may be one of their biggest accomplishments.
05-25-2014, 12:40 PM   #402
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The P&S market is being eviscerated. Survivors: high-end compacts and some rugged models.

The DSLR market is largely in decline, what the floor is we do not know yet. Still has some tech advantages (long lenses, AF speed, massive legacy).

The mirrorless market ascends.

Ricoh/Pentax is likely playing a waiting game, holding the best line on DSLR product while seeing how to salvage the K-mount and the existing customer base.
05-25-2014, 01:27 PM   #403
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Ricoh/Pentax is likely playing a waiting game, holding the best line on DSLR product while seeing how to salvage the K-mount and the existing customer base.
IMHO a large part of their tactics is to run lean while CaNikon savage each other, Sony throws mud against the wall and Oly does whatever it is doing.

Fuji is the real philosophical competition; it remains to be seen if there will be a need for a third DSLR maker. I believe there will be a need, and room - but I have a bias.
05-25-2014, 05:15 PM   #404
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
IMHO a large part of their tactics is to run lean while CaNikon savage each other, Sony throws mud against the wall and Oly does whatever it is doing.

Fuji is the real philosophical competition; it remains to be seen if there will be a need for a third DSLR maker. I believe there will be a need, and room - but I have a bias.
Canon and Nikon have no post-DSLR strategy.

Pentax appears better suited than they do, being smaller, nimbler, and with a few design quirks that lend themselves to a mirrorless mount transition.

I suspect that was why Ricoh picked Pentax up.
05-25-2014, 06:19 PM   #405
Banned

Fuji is indeed a real competitor for Pentax under Ricoh. And Fuji, with all due respect to Ricoh, does many things smarter, and most importantly, quicker. (On the other hand, they have no legacy to protect, but Ricoh does little to make their better legacy even better).

Just wait a few months, when Fuji comes out with their own MF based on same Sony's sensor. They will not allow 5 years to pass to make 3 new lenses for it. And you can expect an FF version of the X100, or something similar, for Photokina — you can bet on it.

In the long run, I think Fuji will outrun Ricoh Imaging because they appear no-nonsense, their marketing is better, their websites are edited, text is not Google translations of the Japanese, but clearly written in English, they are more world-aware (not only Japan-centric), their energy level is higher, they are openly enthusiastic and prove their optimism with deeds, and Fuji puts their money where their mouth is: you can rely their roadmap does not contain misleading or imaginary marks.

Ricoh needs a good competitor for their own good, and I hope Fuji will make them think. So yes, Fuji is my only hope that Ricoh Imaging will wake up from the catatonic stupor.

Last edited by Uluru; 05-25-2014 at 06:58 PM.