Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2014, 03:47 AM   #496
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well I'll be happy if they do what they said in that interview eg. work on the existing to improve (i got that at least from the interpretation), the K-3 might need a little help (improvement toward the K-3II) as do some of the lenses (sort these out), those improvement will help enormously. From there the introduction of the lenses in the pipe works as predicted in lens roadmap, and you never know they might have something else up their sleeve. With these realised i'm sure the steady development toward full frame can proceed, the trick being to use the same mount to keep the backwards comparability of lenses while introducing a new batch. That full frame thing seems like a big job, so Ricoh please make the improvements on existing gear and move on from there
With that said the 645z look great, i'd have that over full frame, but sadly out of my range at present.

Last edited by beachgardener; 05-30-2014 at 04:29 AM. Reason: spelling
05-30-2014, 05:24 AM   #497
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Murano seemed more definite about FF than mirrorless.
05-31-2014, 02:11 AM   #498

As much as I would love the bigger finder, taller hand-grip and the better high-iso performance, a full-frame body would necessarily mean a new set of full-frame lenses: how long would it take for Ricotax to place them in the market?
Would they come out with a 24-70mm f2,8 and a 70-200mm f2,8, or a 24-80mm f3,5-5,6 and a 100-300mm f5,6-7,1?
How much would these lenses cost?

I'd rather have a DA 24mm f2,0 and DA 50-135 f4,0 (with a fast focusing mechanism).

R
06-01-2014, 01:37 PM   #499

i would like the 100-400(aprox) to be a yellow line : (, i still hope for a top notch zoom lense, add the new TC and you have a great wildlife lense.

06-01-2014, 02:23 PM   #500
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carlosodze Quote
i would like the 100-400(aprox) to be a yellow line : (, i still hope for a top notch zoom lense, add the new TC and you have a great wildlife lense.
I agree, that combination would be a very nice unit for wildlife and maybe sports photography but the argument has been made that the lens might just be a 135-370 to pair up with the DA 18-135 for a nice midrange set of zooms. Ricoh would likely sell a whole lot more of those. Still..... I'm hoping...
06-01-2014, 03:15 PM   #501
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
I agree, that combination would be a very nice unit for wildlife and maybe sports photography but the argument has been made that the lens might just be a 135-370 to pair up with the DA 18-135 for a nice midrange set of zooms. Ricoh would likely sell a whole lot more of those. Still..... I'm hoping...
I predict a 120-380mm DC WR, optimized for the new TC.
06-01-2014, 04:43 PM   #502
Veteran Member

DA WR 1xx-4x0 for fullframe is better???

06-02-2014, 12:16 AM   #503
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
DA WR 1xx-4x0 for fullframe is better???
The longer, the better. the much rumored 150-450mm range would be pretty neat. But it should work with the TC. I'm really looking forward to that lens.
06-02-2014, 08:12 AM   #504
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
I predict a 120-380mm DC WR, optimized for the new TC.
Does that mean it will be an f4 lens? If so, be prepared to sell a kidney to get it. The Nikon 200-400 f4 costs around $7,000.

I would predict an f4 to f5.6 lens. You will be able to use the new TC with it, just like you can use the TC with the DA 55-300. But with the f5.6 (or slower) at the long end, it will hardly be optimized for TC use.
06-02-2014, 08:31 AM - 2 Likes   #505
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
Does that mean it will be an f4 lens? If so, be prepared to sell a kidney to get it. The Nikon 200-400 f4 costs around $7,000.

I would predict an f4 to f5.6 lens. You will be able to use the new TC with it, just like you can use the TC with the DA 55-300. But with the f5.6 (or slower) at the long end, it will hardly be optimized for TC use.
The only poster here who really seems to know what is actually going on inside Pentax says it is a 150~400, FF capable zoom but doesn't know the aperture(s). He says the TC is also FF. He says the shorter zoom is FF. He says Pentax will have 'all sizes' of cameras again, like the glory days. He saysa Pentax was recently granted a patent for an OVF with a digital overlay that is better than an older one Nikon has. He says the FF will be fast, like the 645z, with double processors.

If I didn't know better I'd think Ricoh / Pentax was preparing to release a FF camera sometime soon.
06-02-2014, 09:46 AM   #506
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
He says Pentax will have 'all sizes' of cameras again, like the glory days. He saysa Pentax was recently granted a patent for an OVF with a digital overlay that is better than an older one Nikon has. He says the FF will be fast, like the 645z, with double processors.
Hopefully all this good stuff will start to turn real in 2014, not 2016 or later.
06-02-2014, 10:00 AM   #507
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Hopefully all this good stuff will start to turn real in 2014, not 2016 or later.
There was a comment to that effect (2014 will be the year) last February but personally I discount the timing. I think 645z is an unprecedented and unexpected success and has taken energy from other products.
06-02-2014, 10:21 AM   #508
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
There was a comment to that effect (2014 will be the year) last February but personally I discount the timing. I think 645z is an unprecedented and unexpected success and has taken energy from other products.
Unprecedented success??? This camera will hit the market at the end of this month. Not one production unit has been independently tested yet.

Yes, could be a prestige gain, if, I repeat, if it will confirm the expectations. But we will talk about success or failure at the end of this year, at best. Hopefully, no failure like those seen in K-3 will happens.

And how many Pentax user will buy this camera? 1%-2%, maybe. If will be bought by 3% I think will be an unexpected success.
06-02-2014, 11:23 AM   #509

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote

Originally posted by monochrome Quote There was a comment to that effect (2014 will be the year) last February but personally I discount the timing. I think 645z is an unprecedented and unexpected success and has taken energy from other products.

Unprecedented success??? This camera will hit the market at the end of this month. Not one production unit has been independently tested yet. Yes, could be a prestige gain, if, I repeat, if it will confirm the expectations. But we will talk about success or failure at the end of this year, at best. Hopefully, no failure like those seen in K-3 will happens. And how many Pentax user will buy this camera? 1%-2%, maybe. If will be bought by 3% I think will be an unexpected success.
In the German speaking subforum someone postet this information about the 645Z on May 31 (English translation below):

QuoteOriginally posted by veraikon Quote
Immerhin konnte ich mit einem Mitarbeiter sprechen der nach eigenem Bekunden für die Händler Schulung der 645Z zuständig ist.
_ Die 645Z Produktion ist bis Jahresende weltweit ausverkauft. Vor allem im Austro-Pazifischen Raum und den USA soll es regelrecht einen 645Z Boom geben, so dass Kunden die Kameras unbesehen kaufen (!!??)
_ Ricoh D bekommt heuer etwa soviele Kameras zugeteilt das für jeden Pentax Premium Händler etwa 2 Exemplare übrigbelieben.
_ Er selbst rechnet das die Demokameras für das Ricoh Team erst während der Photokina zur Verfügung stehen - Beim tingeln durch die Hausmessen wird also erst nach September eine Demokamera zur Verfügung stehen.
English translation:

The poster attended an event called Minikina in Germany and was able to speak to an employee who said that he was responsible for the training of the future 645Z dealers. The employee made the following statements:
- The whole production of 645Z cameras until the end of the year has already been sold out worldwide. There seems to be a real 645Z boom, especially in the austro-pacific region and in the USA, so that the customers buy the cameras without trying them out (!!??)
- This year, Ricoh Germany will receive only as many 645Z cameras that there will remain only approx. 2 copies per Pentax premium dealer.
- The employee himself expects that the demo cameras for the Ricoh team will only be available as from Photokina on. Therefore, for house exhibitions, there won't be any demo camera until after September.

Last edited by Corinne; 06-02-2014 at 11:33 AM.
06-02-2014, 11:35 AM   #510
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
Unprecedented success??? This camera will hit the market at the end of this month. Not one production unit has been independently tested yet.

Yes, could be a prestige gain, if, I repeat, if it will confirm the expectations. But we will talk about success or failure at the end of this year, at best. Hopefully, no failure like those seen in K-3 will happens.

And how many Pentax user will buy this camera? 1%-2%, maybe. If will be bought by 3% I think will be an unexpected success.
Based upon expressions of interest from dealers and new dealership agreements signed specifically to have the right to sell the 645z.
QuoteOriginally posted by Corinne Quote
English translation:

The poster attended an event called Minikina in Germany and was able to speak to an employee who said that he was responsible for the training of the future 645Z dealers. The employee made the following statements:
- The whole production of 645Z cameras until the end of the year has already been sold out worldwide. There seems to be a real 645Z boom, especially in the austro-pacific region and in the USA, so that the customers buy the cameras without trying them out (!!??)
- This year, Ricoh Germany will receive only as many 645Z cameras that there will remain only approx. 2 copies per Pentax premium dealer.
- The employee himself expects that the demo cameras for the Ricoh team will only be available as from Photokina on. Therefore, for house exhibitions, there won't be any demo camera until after September.
As I have heard. I have heard but cannot confirm that resources have been shifted to 645z body and FA645 lens production that had been scheduled for other 'things.'

Perhaps there's something discernible in the pre-production units we have yet to see.

Last edited by monochrome; 06-02-2014 at 11:41 AM.