Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2014, 05:33 PM   #226
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
It looks like the new 645D is part of "a hobby business " for Ricoh.

Camera Company Financials | byThom | Thom Hogan
That's certainly not the impression given by Zenji Miura, Ricoh's CEO and President when making his presentation at the 2013 Investor's meeting. This 26 page report http://www.ricoh.com/IR/pdf/presentation_text_2013.pdf includes explict references to Pentax on 4 or 5 pages. And 2 pages are devoted entirely to Pentax cameras and how they fit into Ricoh's strategy.

I think a CEO's business strategy presentation to investors is kind of important, no? I doubt Mirua would spend roughly 10% of his presentation on hobby aspects of the business. Just because Pentax is in the "Other" category with respect to sales, it doesn't follow that Ricoh's camera business does not have the requisite company investment and commitment needed to succeed.

02-09-2014, 09:48 PM   #227
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hidden Features on New 645D

Has any one noticed the two areas of retouching on the photo of the rear of the 645D II ?

One is on the rubber cover on the left rear for the camera connections. On the original 645D this read "Video HDMI DC-IN USB" (reading from top left to bottom right). On the photo of the rear on the original post the top of the rubber cover has been retouched to hide what is written on the top of the cover. It now reads "Unknown Unknown DC-IN HDMI". Any guesses as to what is being hidden?

The second is on the right rear of the camera just to the left and between the Play and Menu buttons. The angling of the rear LDC display also covers this area. The four buttons for Drive Mode, White Balance, Custon Image and Flash on the original 645D have been repositioned around the direction controller and the other four buttons Play, Info, Menu and Delete have been moved off the right side of the display to below the direction controller, BUT only Play and Menu are visible. The extended rear display conceals the other two (???) buttons and what ever is their function. Any guesses as to what is being hidden? It could be a dual function button, as the other buttons have the function on the button, but at least the top hidden button has text underneath it.

Regards

Chris
02-09-2014, 10:00 PM   #228
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Sony makes this sensor, and they decided on 44x33. I hope that is not the long-term standard for digital 645 as that is quite a ways from 'full frame' 645 and not that much of an improvement over 36*24.
Agreed but this is first Sony MF CMOS, which already is quite a thing: they AFAICT never did any sensor that big.
Lets take time and Sony will offer bigger ones
02-09-2014, 11:21 PM   #229
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Well...
No mater what selfie is/are wanted, i always preferred true mirrors to screeny illusions
I am clarity!
I am resolution!
I AM PENTAX MAN!!!!

With apologies to Zygonyx and Batman...

02-09-2014, 11:37 PM   #230
Inactive Account

MF sensor development seems like a really risky business to be in because all the manufacturers seem to gravitate towards a single vendor for each generation of technology.
02-09-2014, 11:39 PM   #231
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I don't disagree with your conclusion of CMOS being better than CCD - it's probably true, but we still haven't seen the performanc.e

The difference between 44*33 and 49*36.8 (it's not 48*36) is 1.24, or a crop factor of 1.11. Does it matter? Sure, but not a ton.

One problem with making the 645D a larger market is that it can't generally be used for low light photography - there's some rare glass out there faster than F/2.8 but it's not very common. That F/2.8 on full frame would be a f/2.15 with 44*33 or a f/1.94 with 49*36.8.

All else the same (which of course it isn't - the sensors are quite different) you'd want the F/1.9 rather than the F/2.2 right?
The Phase One IQ250 CMOS Fully Realized
02-10-2014, 03:38 AM   #232
Pentaxian

It looks like the new 645D is part of "a hobby business " for Ricoh.

Camera Company Financials | byThom | Thom Hogan
That is good report I think. Well Imaging is less then 1 % of Ricoh and such small parts can allways be seen as a hobby. I think that growing and making a profit is a must to be around in 5 years from now.

QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
Has any one noticed the two areas of retouching on the photo of the rear of the 645D II ?

One is on the rubber cover on the left rear for the camera connections. On the original 645D this read "Video HDMI DC-IN USB" (reading from top left to bottom right). On the photo of the rear on the original post the top of the rubber cover has been retouched to hide what is written on the top of the cover. It now reads "Unknown Unknown DC-IN HDMI". Any guesses as to what is being hidden?

The second is on the right rear of the camera just to the left and between the Play and Menu buttons. The angling of the rear LDC display also covers this area. The four buttons for Drive Mode, White Balance, Custon Image and Flash on the original 645D have been repositioned around the direction controller and the other four buttons Play, Info, Menu and Delete have been moved off the right side of the display to below the direction controller, BUT only Play and Menu are visible. The extended rear display conceals the other two (???) buttons and what ever is their function. Any guesses as to what is being hidden? It could be a dual function button, as the other buttons have the function on the button, but at least the top hidden button has text underneath it.

Regards

Chris
Well if it does video, it better delivers 4K! I don't think that the PRIME III engine can deliver on that.
02-10-2014, 06:03 AM   #233
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I guess there are faster scanners than my flatbed scanner, but it uses at least 15 minutes for 4 slides. I use less than one minute per slide including blowing dust and refocusing when using my simple setup with my DA35 macro:

I'm sure the slide duplicator would save me even more time than my simple slide viewer setup.
Yes, but with the scanner once you put them in you can do other things with your time, so the way I figure it (and from my own experiance) one would save a lot of time with the scanner, but perhaps it depends on the person...

02-10-2014, 08:27 AM   #234
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
That is good report I think. Well Imaging is less then 1 % of Ricoh and such small parts can allways be seen as a hobby. I think that growing and making a profit is a must to be around in 5 years from now.

Well if it does video, it better delivers 4K! I don't think that the PRIME III engine can deliver on that.
The only new cinema 4K (4096x2160) camera coming is the Panasonic GH4. I am sure Ricoh will not put 4K video mode in the new 645D.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/247...er-2000-a.html
02-10-2014, 09:20 AM   #235
Pentaxian

The only new cinema 4K (4096x2160) camera coming is the Panasonic GH4. I am sure Ricoh will not put 4K video mode in the new 645D.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/247...er-2000-a.html
So who want this FullHD camera for 10+K $? If it is just a gimick then leave it out off the specs.
02-10-2014, 09:27 AM   #236
Inactive Account

With the size of a MF sensor, they could probably do 3D 4K video but it would require some serious processing horsepower.
02-10-2014, 10:11 AM   #237
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote

I think that calling such a good auto-portrait a "selfie" would be insulting. If you use that on facebook or google+ it would definitely stand out from most other people's photos (unless you only hang out with photographers)
QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
Haha, that's awesome! Like a gangster ready for battle.
QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
I am clarity!
I am resolution!
I AM PENTAX MAN!!!!

With apologies to Zygonyx and Batman...
Thanks,
well done/interpreted, i don't mind/do assume the consequences of my own tricks
02-10-2014, 10:13 AM   #238
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Well...
No mater what selfie is/are wanted, i always preferred true mirrors to screeny illusions
Did you take that selfie with a bathroom mirror, it is hard to tell by the background but I am suspicious.
02-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #239
Site Supporter

yes, definitely
02-10-2014, 11:40 AM   #240
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
So who want this FullHD camera for 10+K $? If it is just a gimick then leave it out off the specs.
Imagine the FOV and perspective of a medium format video. I think it's gonna look gorgeous even if it's "just" full HD.