Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2014, 05:12 PM   #271
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,892
Original Poster
To me, the paradox is... the 645D has the best sub-$10k viewfinder on the market.

Just a thought provoker... no responses necessary... but do we want to get rid of that? MF could lose a lot of size/weight with mirrorless but it would also lose one of the biggest advantages of MF.

02-11-2014, 08:04 PM   #272
Pentaxian
Uluru's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Back to my Walkabout Creek
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,400
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
The mirrorless option would take users away from Canikon FF systems and Pentax would "own" the MF arena (if the price was right and it was done well) for a few years. Being ahead of the game can be dangerous but it's more dangerous to be late.
People are always anxious. They don't crave for things they know well; most people crave for things because they have not tasted anything better.

EVF is the current fling because how many have tried really glorious OVFs? I can bet none of EVF ambassadors ever tried them.

Whoever tried to look through the OVF of the 645D will find everything else pale in comparison.
What's even funnier, there is no FF camera on the market today that compares even to an old ME Super's OVF.

We are not given the real choice today, and forcing all the same solution because of lack of real quality choice, is nothing short of crime.

It is something like this:


— And what are you staring at?; Have you never seen a woman before?
— I thought I had …


Same with viewfinders. Who’s never seen a 645D OVF, or a good film camera OVF, does not really know what an OVF really is.

Last edited by Uluru; 02-11-2014 at 10:09 PM.
02-11-2014, 09:30 PM   #273
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,112
Green dot button - maybe this button could be used for video?
02-12-2014, 01:06 AM   #274
Site Supporter
Cynog Ap Brychan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Gloucester
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,090
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
EVF is the current fling because how many have tried really glorious OVFs?
It seems to me that people who hanker after the "retro" style in cameras are missing the one great advantage the old film SLRs had over modern cameras. That huge, bright viewfinder. Sure, you can have all the twiddly dials you like, but when I look through my classic cameras, I'm constantly surprised by how big and clear the viewfinders are. That said, I've never tried one of the new EVFs in, say, the Olympus OM-D or the Fujifil XT-1, so I would have to defer to others as to how they compare with even the modern crop of DSLRs. All I know is that even my D800's viewfinder does not come close to that of the MX, for example. In fact, I don't find the D800 to be any better than the K3 in this respect. Fine for framing shots, but not great for manual focus.

02-12-2014, 01:50 AM   #275
Pentaxian
Uluru's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Back to my Walkabout Creek
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,400
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
It seems to me that people who hanker after the "retro" style in cameras are missing the one great advantage the old film SLRs had over modern cameras. That huge, bright viewfinder. Sure, you can have all the twiddly dials you like, but when I look through my classic cameras, I'm constantly surprised by how big and clear the viewfinders are. That said, I've never tried one of the new EVFs in, say, the Olympus OM-D or the Fujifil XT-1, so I would have to defer to others as to how they compare with even the modern crop of DSLRs. All I know is that even my D800's viewfinder does not come close to that of the MX, for example. In fact, I don't find the D800 to be any better than the K3 in this respect. Fine for framing shots, but not great for manual focus.
I can boast I have tried them almost all.
Tried E-M1, E-P5, all Fuji's X100s and X-pros, (not the T1 yet), all Sony NEXes, tried D800, D600, D3, Canon 1Ds, etc.

Nothing, just nothing comes close to the brightness and pure joy of use of the simple but gorgeous OVF in the ME Super.
And even that one cannot compare to the OVF in 645D which I'm shooting as well.
02-12-2014, 02:08 AM   #276
Site Supporter
Zygonyx's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ile de France
Posts: 2,951
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
It seems to me that people who hanker after the "retro" style in cameras are missing the one great advantage the old film SLRs had over modern cameras. That huge, bright viewfinder. Sure, you can have all the twiddly dials you like, but when I look through my classic cameras, I'm constantly surprised by how big and clear the viewfinders are. That said, I've never tried one of the new EVFs in, say, the Olympus OM-D or the Fujifil XT-1, so I would have to defer to others as to how they compare with even the modern crop of DSLRs. All I know is that even my D800's viewfinder does not come close to that of the MX, for example. In fact, I don't find the D800 to be any better than the K3 in this respect. Fine for framing shots, but not great for manual focus.
I looked through Olympus OM-D EM1's EVF the other day : don't move framing / try to shoot moving subject... everything you see goes blurred...

Secondly, what happens once power is over : you can't even look through your lenses... Very sad for wildlife's long shooting and observation sessions...

Two good reasons to prefer the good old comfortable OVF !

Last edited by Zygonyx; 02-12-2014 at 02:16 AM.
02-13-2014, 01:49 AM   #277
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,535
Recent images have revealed that the 645D might have video/ live view - if this is the case than be prepared for a frenzy of cinematographers. Especially when one takes into account that there is no similarly priced alternative for MF video from either RED or black magic.

02-13-2014, 01:50 AM   #278
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,509
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Recent images have revealed that the 645D might have video/ live view - if this is the case than be prepared for a frenzy of cinematographers. Especially when one takes into account that there is no similarly priced alternative for MF video from either RED or black magic.
Time to hoard 645 lenses?

02-13-2014, 02:01 AM   #279
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,556
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Recent images have revealed that the 645D might have video/ live view - if this is the case than be prepared for a frenzy of cinematographers. Especially when one takes into account that there is no similarly priced alternative for MF video from either RED or black magic.
Well it needs 4k for real excitement, so I do wonder if they make the step.
02-13-2014, 02:25 AM   #280
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,663
These news has turned to be quite a exiting...if they were not at first place.
02-13-2014, 03:07 AM   #281
Site Supporter
Zygonyx's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ile de France
Posts: 2,951
Yep, exciting, but that will not reduce the invoiced bottom figure ...
02-13-2014, 03:24 AM   #282
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Newcastle, AU!
Posts: 258
A mirrorless mf 645 pentax would still need to accept legacy glass and would still have the same flange distance. It would also require constant live view and take a friggin' car battery. It wouldn't be any smaller at all. And that would suck compared to a lovely viewfinder
02-13-2014, 04:26 AM   #283
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,663
What it says on invoice will not concern me, because I cannot afford this baby anyway but it is still exciting.
02-13-2014, 05:31 AM   #284
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,535
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well it needs 4k for real excitement, so I do wonder if they make the step.
I don't think SD cards are quite up to those kind of transfer rates, XQD and SSD cards can do it. Also the image processor used in Pentax DSLR cameras will be taxed considerably with live 4K video - unless they incorporate more than one of them in the image processing pipeline, if that is the case expect battery life and sensor heating to also be issues. In most MF backs the sensor is passively cooled with heat sinks and in some cases actively cooled with a fan. The weather sealed construction of the 645D makes this rather problematic. Pentax possibly could use a small heatpipe or perhaps a peltier effect cooler to shunt heat away from the sensor and dump it into the chassis - but thermoeletric cooling will also chew up energy and in the end it is only moving the problem, not eradicating it.
02-13-2014, 07:00 AM   #285
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,556
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I don't think SD cards are quite up to those kind of transfer rates, XQD and SSD cards can do it. Also the image processor used in Pentax DSLR cameras will be taxed considerably with live 4K video - unless they incorporate more than one of them in the image processing pipeline, if that is the case expect battery life and sensor heating to also be issues. In most MF backs the sensor is passively cooled with heat sinks and in some cases actively cooled with a fan. The weather sealed construction of the 645D makes this rather problematic. Pentax possibly could use a small heatpipe or perhaps a peltier effect cooler to shunt heat away from the sensor and dump it into the chassis - but thermoeletric cooling will also chew up energy and in the end it is only moving the problem, not eradicating it.
Well if it can only deliver the quality that is also in the K-01 then it's just a gimick.

So delivering ProRes would be great. Even if the resolution would only be FullHD. I guess that not a single company would buy this camera for video if it doesn't do its work at hi level. So 2.5k or 4k at the max rate of like 100Mb/s or even 200Mb/s is the only way this will be a professional video tool.

Yes you need some extra battery's, but I don't think that will be a problem. Put at least a spare in the box.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
50mp sony cmos, 645d, ability, advantage, bit, blackmagic, camera, canon, cards, cmos, crop factor, fujitsu, heat, image, k3, lens, macro, market, max, medium, medium-format, mf, minutes, model, mp, name, pentax, pentax 645d2014, pentax news, pentax rumors, phase, products, sensor, size, slr, sony, status, texas, video
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Phase One announces IQ250 50MP CMOS medium format back with Sony sensor jogiba Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 8 03-04-2014 12:30 PM
Hasselblad H5D-50c: 50Mpix CMOS sensor from Sony -soon in Pentax 645D II? Mistral75 Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 8 01-22-2014 05:42 AM
Sony SLT-A58 [20.1 Exmor HD CMOS] (??Maybe K3 Sensor??) joe.penn Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 11 03-07-2013 01:04 PM
Do the new Sony CMOS sensors attract dirt? GeneV Pentax DSLR Discussion 10 08-31-2012 09:26 AM
New Sony APS-C size CMOS Image Sensor with 12.47 Effective Resolution for use in DSLR Matjazz Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 08-20-2007 02:42 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:47 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top