Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
02-13-2014, 01:50 AM   #271
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Recent images have revealed that the 645D might have video/ live view - if this is the case than be prepared for a frenzy of cinematographers. Especially when one takes into account that there is no similarly priced alternative for MF video from either RED or black magic.
Time to hoard 645 lenses?

02-13-2014, 02:01 AM   #272
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Recent images have revealed that the 645D might have video/ live view - if this is the case than be prepared for a frenzy of cinematographers. Especially when one takes into account that there is no similarly priced alternative for MF video from either RED or black magic.
Well it needs 4k for real excitement, so I do wonder if they make the step.
02-13-2014, 02:25 AM   #273
Pentaxian

These news has turned to be quite a exiting...if they were not at first place.
02-13-2014, 03:07 AM   #274
Pentaxian

Yep, exciting, but that will not reduce the invoiced bottom figure ...

02-13-2014, 03:24 AM   #275

A mirrorless mf 645 pentax would still need to accept legacy glass and would still have the same flange distance. It would also require constant live view and take a friggin' car battery. It wouldn't be any smaller at all. And that would suck compared to a lovely viewfinder
02-13-2014, 04:26 AM   #276
Pentaxian

What it says on invoice will not concern me, because I cannot afford this baby anyway but it is still exciting.
02-13-2014, 05:31 AM   #277
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well it needs 4k for real excitement, so I do wonder if they make the step.
I don't think SD cards are quite up to those kind of transfer rates, XQD and SSD cards can do it. Also the image processor used in Pentax DSLR cameras will be taxed considerably with live 4K video - unless they incorporate more than one of them in the image processing pipeline, if that is the case expect battery life and sensor heating to also be issues. In most MF backs the sensor is passively cooled with heat sinks and in some cases actively cooled with a fan. The weather sealed construction of the 645D makes this rather problematic. Pentax possibly could use a small heatpipe or perhaps a peltier effect cooler to shunt heat away from the sensor and dump it into the chassis - but thermoeletric cooling will also chew up energy and in the end it is only moving the problem, not eradicating it.

02-13-2014, 07:00 AM   #278
Banned

I don't think SD cards are quite up to those kind of transfer rates, XQD and SSD cards can do it. Also the image processor used in Pentax DSLR cameras will be taxed considerably with live 4K video - unless they incorporate more than one of them in the image processing pipeline, if that is the case expect battery life and sensor heating to also be issues. In most MF backs the sensor is passively cooled with heat sinks and in some cases actively cooled with a fan. The weather sealed construction of the 645D makes this rather problematic. Pentax possibly could use a small heatpipe or perhaps a peltier effect cooler to shunt heat away from the sensor and dump it into the chassis - but thermoeletric cooling will also chew up energy and in the end it is only moving the problem, not eradicating it.
Well if it can only deliver the quality that is also in the K-01 then it's just a gimick.

So delivering ProRes would be great. Even if the resolution would only be FullHD. I guess that not a single company would buy this camera for video if it doesn't do its work at hi level. So 2.5k or 4k at the max rate of like 100Mb/s or even 200Mb/s is the only way this will be a professional video tool.

Yes you need some extra battery's, but I don't think that will be a problem. Put at least a spare in the box.
02-13-2014, 07:19 AM   #279
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As, I understand - there is a basic architectural difference between Canon, Nikon and Pentax in terms of the image processing hardware. Canon's image processing chip allows for multiple parallel processing paths, while Nikon/Pentax's do not. Both Canon and Pentax use variations of the Fujitsu Milbeaut, while Canon uses a version of Texas Instruments OMAP. Unlike Fujitsu Milbeaut, Digic (Texas Instruments OMAP.) supports multi-processor configurations and can also execute external programs. The ability to support and execute external programs enables the Canon's ability to have third party capabilities like CHDK.

Last edited by interested_observer; 02-13-2014 at 07:25 AM.
02-13-2014, 07:34 AM   #280
Banned

The new UHS-II SDXC cards for 4K video do up to 312MB/s.
http://www./2014/02/12/sandisks-new-extreme-pro-sd-uhs-ii-cards-are-worlds-fastest-sd-cards/

02-13-2014, 07:39 AM   #281
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
wow that is fast....

SanDisk Extreme PRO SDHC/SDXC UHS-II Memory Card

But not yet in the specs off the Pentax camera's I guess. I don't think that PRIME III nor the electronic lay-out in the K-3 is up for this work yet.

02-13-2014, 08:37 AM   #282
Pentaxian

But the 645D is not supporting UHS-II, only UHS-I (so it appears from the images).
02-13-2014, 08:58 AM   #283
Inactive Account

Even with 64 GB, how quickly will that card fill up?

Better have dual or quad card and make them hot swappable.
02-13-2014, 09:08 AM   #284
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
But not yet in the specs off the Pentax camera's I guess. I don't think that PRIME III nor the electronic lay-out in the K-3 is up for this work yet.
Not even close...it only can do 45MB/sec internally :-P
02-13-2014, 09:09 AM   #285
Banned

Well with the K-3 you can record 25 minutes off FullHD 60i and that is about 22 Mb/s.

So when the BlackMagic is to compare with (in output, different sensor) Blackmagic Production Camera 4K available now for $3000: Digital Photography Review then you have lots off cards needing in your pocket. So maybe for ProRes 2.5k is already the max. At a max that already (200Mb/s) that would mean 42 minutes on a card off 64GB.

---------- Post added 13-02-14 at 17:10 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Not even close...it only can do 45MB/sec internally :-P
I know Imeasured that myself, but no idea where thew bottleneck is. It could be processor or something in the pipeline. But for video that is already plenty to make excellent footage.