Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2014, 10:40 AM   #181
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
I own current 645D : I doubt you can take neat shots with this 50 Mpix sensor handheld using live view
That's speculation on your part. You don't know me , my photographic experience or my physical capabilities. Every one is different in capabilities.

I have also used the first generation Pentax 645D and it seems no more difficult to use...hand held... than my old Mamiya. I've also used the Pentax 6 X 7 handheld a fair amount in the past....both handheld and mounted on my Leitz tripod.

I've used live view with my Canon and Pentax equipment...considerably.

Adapting to different systems and different methods is part of life .

02-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #182
Pentaxian

Yes, but it is something different to have a third contact point with breast-finder or eyeshooting (tripod is different), and to handle the system with both hands only.
With no stabilisation (unless with DFA90mm).
But we will see what the reviewers think about this.
Btw, it could only function in one direction...
02-07-2014, 11:11 AM   #183
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, but it is something different to have a third contact point with breast-finder or eyeshooting (tripod is different), and to handle the system with both hands only.
With no stabilisation (unless with DFA90mm).
But we will see what the reviewers think about this.
Btw, it could only function in one direction...
With or without a tilting screen, one can form a stable platform by drawing in arms, locking elbows onto hip points, left palm cradling camera bottom in classic SLR style, right hand lightly on grip and controls. Camera LCD naturally rises to about chin height, 4-6" in front of the face.

Users of K-01 (or any Live-View camera - I also do this with K3) have learned to look just slightly down onto the LCD to compose and focus without holding the camera at arms' length, as one would a compact.

Then there is the tight neck-strap method at arms' length, which is a three-point support. There are 2nd-hand Chest-Pods. Video support rigs.

Of course K-01 is a comparatively small camera. Such support might not work for 645D. But it should not be assumed a user cannot possibly figure out a technique to create a stable paltform.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-07-2014 at 11:18 AM.
02-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #184
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Some people hate them, but for my shooting I would love it. Not every shot is from eye-level.
I agree. One of the big events in the spring in my area, is the tulip festival in Skagit County. Huge tulip fields and photographers, amateur and pros alike, gather to take the killer shots. In the past i have squatted down and held my Pentax dslrs down to bulb level, tried to peer at an extreme angle into the live view, and shot by guess work and rough aim. No fancy framing here. And 1 out of 4 shots might be useful.

Today, I leave my pentax dlsr in the car, take my Sony Nex cameras (yes, now i have 2, bought when models are about to be dropped from mfr) into the tulip field, flip down the tilting LCD and am able to focus as well as frame the bulb level shots. Now someone is going to say one should down lie down on their stomach in the sometimes muddy fields and take the shot like any true photographer. Then drag that dirt back and spread it all over their car.

I don't care whether "pros" use tilting screens or not, i care about interesting shots. The only people who complain about tilting screens seem to be those that have never tried them. These Sony tilting screens are built with a metal hinge and appear to me to be as tough as nails. Not sure about the articulating screens (because i haven't tried them)

Thank the camera gods for getting some new thinking into the Pentax cameras.

02-07-2014, 02:31 PM   #185
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Don't forget the "load" factor btw tilt-screen and the rest of the camera...
You don't use MF like P&S, do you ? ...
I will avoid 645DII for several reasons, amongst them the fear to break the screen.
Don't pull the screen. Hard huh ?
02-07-2014, 04:38 PM   #186

Often those who'd like an articulating screen are those aren't all that flexible. I'd imagine having to that having to crouch down with a relatively massive camera would impose some further challenges to someone who's not very limber.

Is anyone planning on running and gunning with the 645D II like they would with their K-5? Is anyone likely to buy the 645D II planning abusing their $10,000 plus investment in a way that would break that screen.

On another related topic, I think 645D 2014 is not the best name for the camera. It automatically dates and can only make one think how old it is everytime you say the name.
02-07-2014, 04:40 PM   #187

QuoteOriginally posted by PeterAM Quote
For those of us that shot/shoot film and have X number of slides/negs around, this might be the way to go. For a scan of a special picture that I want to print and hang, I'll get a drum scan done.
I hope that's exactly the use case they have in mind for it

02-07-2014, 04:50 PM   #188
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Often those who'd like an articulating screen are those aren't all that flexible.
02-07-2014, 04:58 PM   #189
Veteran Member

Imagine you have an open wooden door and a wall made out of the same material. You attack both with a sledgehammer. Which do you think is going to happen first, the surface of the wall and/or the door (the screen) suffers significant damage, or you rip the door off its hinges? The hinges (the articulating joint) are not the weak point, the surface (the glass screen) is. The fact that the door can move when hit, instead of just taking the impact makes it harder to break down at all, unless you hit it in a very specific configuration.

There is no circumstance I can imagine where an articulated screen would break off before the screen itself would have been destroyed, whether fixed or not, unless you hit the joint directly, or the screen has been fully extended and bent beyond its limits. Presumably all these paranoid people would never flip it out, so the joint is never directly exposed nor extended to its limits, and thus it is only subject to the same kind of impact a fixed screen would. Now which would have a better chance of survival of a direct impact, a fixed screen that just takes the kinetic energy, or a screen that has at least some potential to move out harm's way when pushed?

Last edited by Cannikin; 02-07-2014 at 05:08 PM.
02-07-2014, 06:23 PM   #190
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
Imagine you have an open wooden door and a wall made out of the same material. You attack both with a sledgehammer. Which do you think is going to happen first, the surface of the wall and/or the door (the screen) suffers significant damage, or you rip the door off its hinges? The hinges (the articulating joint) are not the weak point, the surface (the glass screen) is. The fact that the door can move when hit, instead of just taking the impact makes it harder to break down at all, unless you hit it in a very specific configuration.
Terrible analogy.
02-07-2014, 06:39 PM   #191
Veteran Member

Wonder if it is able to tether using the forthcoming Pentax FLU card...?
02-07-2014, 06:40 PM   #192
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Terrible analogy.
Fine, you want a better analogy, how about a car door? The only way to snap off a car door from its hinges is if it were all the way open and hit in a certain direction. Now if you left it slightly ajar so that it is nearly flush against the body, but not closed completely (like an articulated screen flush against the body), in what way could you hit the door that would cause the door to snap off its hinges, before the window and the door surface itself were crushed?
02-07-2014, 07:41 PM   #193
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All we'd need to know is what the experience has been with the MX-1 (understanding the difference in mass). In fact, do you think the (discontinued) MX-1 might have been an experiment, sort of like the K-01?
02-07-2014, 08:05 PM   #194

There's also the X-5, which also has a hinged LCD and preceded the MX-1, although it is at the other end of the price spectrum -- budget superzoom. To answer your question, yes, surely it was an experiment. Pentax always seems to use parts/experience gained from one camera to others.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
All we'd need to know is what the experience has been with the MX-1 (understanding the difference in mass). In fact, do you think the (discontinued) MX-1 might have been an experiment, sort of like the K-01?
02-07-2014, 11:26 PM   #195
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Phase One and Hasselblad are very strong too. I would say that Pentax has no any advantage in digital MF. Only PRICE.
Price can be a big advantage although maybe not as substantial when you are talking about people who can afford a 5 figure camera.