Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2014, 03:38 AM   #226
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
It looks like the new 645D is part of "a hobby business " for Ricoh.

Camera Company Financials | byThom | Thom Hogan
That is good report I think. Well Imaging is less then 1 % of Ricoh and such small parts can allways be seen as a hobby. I think that growing and making a profit is a must to be around in 5 years from now.

QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
Has any one noticed the two areas of retouching on the photo of the rear of the 645D II ?

One is on the rubber cover on the left rear for the camera connections. On the original 645D this read "Video HDMI DC-IN USB" (reading from top left to bottom right). On the photo of the rear on the original post the top of the rubber cover has been retouched to hide what is written on the top of the cover. It now reads "Unknown Unknown DC-IN HDMI". Any guesses as to what is being hidden?

The second is on the right rear of the camera just to the left and between the Play and Menu buttons. The angling of the rear LDC display also covers this area. The four buttons for Drive Mode, White Balance, Custon Image and Flash on the original 645D have been repositioned around the direction controller and the other four buttons Play, Info, Menu and Delete have been moved off the right side of the display to below the direction controller, BUT only Play and Menu are visible. The extended rear display conceals the other two (???) buttons and what ever is their function. Any guesses as to what is being hidden? It could be a dual function button, as the other buttons have the function on the button, but at least the top hidden button has text underneath it.

Regards

Chris
Well if it does video, it better delivers 4K! I don't think that the PRIME III engine can deliver on that.

02-10-2014, 06:03 AM   #227
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I guess there are faster scanners than my flatbed scanner, but it uses at least 15 minutes for 4 slides. I use less than one minute per slide including blowing dust and refocusing when using my simple setup with my DA35 macro:

I'm sure the slide duplicator would save me even more time than my simple slide viewer setup.
Yes, but with the scanner once you put them in you can do other things with your time, so the way I figure it (and from my own experiance) one would save a lot of time with the scanner, but perhaps it depends on the person...
02-10-2014, 08:27 AM   #228
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
That is good report I think. Well Imaging is less then 1 % of Ricoh and such small parts can allways be seen as a hobby. I think that growing and making a profit is a must to be around in 5 years from now.

Well if it does video, it better delivers 4K! I don't think that the PRIME III engine can deliver on that.
The only new cinema 4K (4096x2160) camera coming is the Panasonic GH4. I am sure Ricoh will not put 4K video mode in the new 645D.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/247...er-2000-a.html
02-10-2014, 09:20 AM   #229
Banned

The only new cinema 4K (4096x2160) camera coming is the Panasonic GH4. I am sure Ricoh will not put 4K video mode in the new 645D.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/247...er-2000-a.html
So who want this FullHD camera for 10+K $? If it is just a gimick then leave it out off the specs.

02-10-2014, 09:27 AM   #230
Inactive Account

With the size of a MF sensor, they could probably do 3D 4K video but it would require some serious processing horsepower.
02-10-2014, 10:11 AM   #231
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote

I think that calling such a good auto-portrait a "selfie" would be insulting. If you use that on facebook or google+ it would definitely stand out from most other people's photos (unless you only hang out with photographers)
QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
Haha, that's awesome! Like a gangster ready for battle.
QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
I am clarity!
I am resolution!
I AM PENTAX MAN!!!!

With apologies to Zygonyx and Batman...
Thanks,
well done/interpreted, i don't mind/do assume the consequences of my own tricks
02-10-2014, 10:13 AM   #232
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Well...
No mater what selfie is/are wanted, i always preferred true mirrors to screeny illusions
Did you take that selfie with a bathroom mirror, it is hard to tell by the background but I am suspicious.

02-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #233
Pentaxian

yes, definitely
02-10-2014, 11:40 AM   #234
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So who want this FullHD camera for 10+K $? If it is just a gimick then leave it out off the specs.
Imagine the FOV and perspective of a medium format video. I think it's gonna look gorgeous even if it's "just" full HD.
02-10-2014, 12:12 PM   #235
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Imagine the FOV and perspective of a medium format video. I think it's gonna look gorgeous even if it's "just" full HD.
Yes that can look great, but for video you can use like DA*55mm on K-01 on f1.4 and that is already something to use. The MF lenses aren't all that fast.
02-10-2014, 12:48 PM   #236
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Would your opinion change if it were capable of uncompressed HD?
Yes, but if PRIME III could offer that, why isn't it in the K-3?
02-10-2014, 01:18 PM   #237
Banned

What specs ? BTW FullHD is not the future since the Panasonic GH4 has cinema 4K with 4096x2160 that is more than 4x the resolution what FullHD is (1920x1080 ) and the Samsung Note 3 smartphone has 4K (3840x2160).
02-10-2014, 01:21 PM   #238
Banned

What specs ? BTW FullHD is not the future since the Panasonic GH4 has cinema 4K with 4096x2160 that is more than 4x the resolution what FullHD is (1920x1080 ) and the Samsung Note 3 smartphone has 4K (3840x2160).
I would be happy with 2.5k since I have a 2.5k screen.

But true video is shifting upwards where VGA resolution from just a few years ago is a dino.
02-10-2014, 01:33 PM   #239
Veteran Member

"i'll trust articulated screens when you take them off the camera"

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
Imagine you have an open wooden door and a wall made out of the same material. You attack both with a sledgehammer. Which do you think is going to happen first, the surface of the wall and/or the door (the screen) suffers significant damage, or you rip the door off its hinges? The hinges (the articulating joint) are not the weak point, the surface (the glass screen) is. The fact that the door can move when hit, instead of just taking the impact makes it harder to break down at all, unless you hit it in a very specific configuration.

There is no circumstance I can imagine where an articulated screen would break off before the screen itself would have been destroyed, whether fixed or not, unless you hit the joint directly, or the screen has been fully extended and bent beyond its limits. Presumably all these paranoid people would never flip it out, so the joint is never directly exposed nor extended to its limits, and thus it is only subject to the same kind of impact a fixed screen would. Now which would have a better chance of survival of a direct impact, a fixed screen that just takes the kinetic energy, or a screen that has at least some potential to move out harm's way when pushed?
okay, Professor (and i say it without the slightest hint of sarcasm, btw), your logic is, as seems to be the norm, rock-solid. There's only one tiny problem: your starting assumption is wrong;

most people don't worry so much about destructive impact. The truth is most modern cameras (dslr and up, not "digicams") couldn't withstand an impact capable of _incidentally_ destroying the back lcd, and keep on going (without internal damage etc), most people don't actually expect a dslr to survive a 3 foot drop for instance (though i hear many will, surprisingly enough, survive), after all our beloved celulloid film has turned to glass. etc.

the problem is mostly perception, but not all perception:

- a hinged/articulated screen is mechanically more complex, hence more prone to mechanical failure (how many fixed panels have you seen fail to.. ahem.. stay fixed, as opposed to damaged/worn off hinges on a car door?); yes, it can be well built, i admit, but you can't help thinking that "all else being equal(...) the fixed design will be sturdier"

- a fixed (burried/built into the body) screen will not catch on things, cloathing, etc, this means it is unlikely to incurr any un-intentional shock, and it is also less likely to cause loosing grip on the whole camera and potentially causing the camera to take a flying start to the bottom of the valley. silly? paranoid? perhaps, but some people shoot in rather extreme conditions, and apart from equipment cost, the loss of a camera will basically spoil an entire trip (especially a photo trip)

- a hinged/articulated screen will have a mecahnically mobile connection to power it and feed it data. some can't help cringe at all the trouble they have seen with even semi-mobile electrical connections of any complexity.

- some people don't trust the ability of properly weather sealing an articulated screen. obviously, it won't be impossible, but it seems many manufacturers struggle to seal "monoblock" cameras (see the long range of "sort of kind of maybe sealed, in places" canon x0d). I'm even more disturbed by this than most people, because while i love pentax and am used to having proper sealing, i _know_ that most decent quality cameras these days are in fact effectively sealed to some extent (tight enough tollerances by design/manufacturing process), but when you put a hinged screen on them, you're inviting moisture not only to enter in new and previously in-accessible places inside the camera, but also invite water to "stay for tea" in "water trap" areas; of course this can be alleviated by very clever and careful design, but such design is even more expensive than proper weather sealing itself i reckon, and i am talking about non sealed cameras to begin with, that are designed to (officially) never be used in such conditions.

having said that, i agree the idea is good (i always loved the waist level finders on my medium format gear).

anyway, can they stop playing silly buggers already, and bring on the wireless remote screen (perhaps with an "eye mounted" finder system, using the excellent electronic finders in some mirorrless cameras today)? it is clearly possible, it's just a matter of wanting to do it. i see no reason not to do it, sounds like a killer third party accessory to me (especially as many cameras have hdmi outputs and such these days), and an even more killer "system gimmick" for any brand who comes with it first (because if done properly, with all needed overlays, etc, it might be not only worth getting it instead of the third party, but make the system on the whole more desireable); not to mention that, again if done properly and paired with proper remote control "bundled in", serious sports photographers would eat them up.

ahem, excuse me while i go and file a patent or two :P
02-10-2014, 04:51 PM   #240
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well if it does video, it better delivers 4K!
It won't. Look at the mode dial, no video.