Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2014, 12:51 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Given the very positive reviews for the Sigma 35mm f1.4 (which is FF), I think I would buy that lens before the 30mm f1.4.

At least then I would have a FF capable lens if/when Pentax finally do release a FF camera.

I've recently been considering my entire 'lens-buying-roadmap' in a similar vein (i.e. future compatability with a FF body). Unfortunately for Pentax, such a strategy excludes them from the roadmap to a very large degree!

02-12-2014, 01:05 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
I've recently been considering my entire 'lens-buying-roadmap' in a similar vein (i.e. future compatability with a FF body). Unfortunately for Pentax, such a strategy excludes them from the roadmap to a very large degree!
Pentax not addressing that issue is what makes me extra sceptic about their full frame intentions.
02-13-2014, 09:34 AM   #48
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
I too did that but I think just looking at the quality we are getting out of APS-C I really don't think it is a high priority compared to when I bought my first DSLR. I think the benefit of an ILC system is decoupling lenses, lighting, image capture, and processing. The marginal benefit of FF over APS-C just isn't there for me and I don't know that if it was available I would buy it unless the marginal cost and size was very small. The size issue makes Pentax FF lenses the only ones I would be interested in.
02-15-2014, 04:56 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Perhaps wishful thinking on my behalf, but from all indications I think Pentax FF will become a reality in the not-too-distant future.

As a wedding shooter, the benefits of FF over APS-c are most definitely there for me, and I will be one of the first to pre-order when it is announced. That's just me and my requirement. If I was only interested in landscape work I'd most probably be quite content with my K3 (and, subsequently, APS-C lenses).

So, back to my original comment, having decided that I will definitely be upgrading to a FF machine when it finally emerges it makes sense to structure my (limited) spend on lenses that can support both systems. I already have a fast 50, and Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, so all I really want/need initially is a fast 30 or 35 (which would double as a 50mm equiv. on APS-C, and wider angle on FF), and a 24-70 f2.8. The 24-70 can wait until FF is a reality, which leaves the 35 f1.4 as a very desirable lens for me right now. The 30mm, even if it is a bit cheaper, would just be a bad investment I think.

Anywho, just my musings on the topic.

02-15-2014, 09:17 PM   #50
Emperor and Senpai

I couldn't see getting this over the 18-35 f/1.8, that is if it quits being pushed back.
02-20-2014, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #51
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
I'm so happy that the new Sigma 30 1.4 is coming for Pentax.

In the quest for a solid "normal" prime, I've tried:

The old Sigma 30mm. Sharp center. Garbage edges and corners. Any improvement on this is welcome. I'm also more familiar now with focus adjustment, which is something that gave me a sour experience with the old Sigma 30 (purchased when I was new to the whole "photography thing").

The DA 35mm 2.4 (multiple copies actually). It's too narrow on crop.

The FA 31mm is too pricey. I've never tried one.

The F 28mm 2.8 was good, but not fast enough.

The FA* 24mm doesn't get good reviews. It's also kind of rare and pricey for what it brings to the table.

I've wanted a normal prime for a while, and I almost bit the bullet on an FA 35 f2 a few times, but I always suspected I would end up feeling more or less the same about it as I did the DA 35 2.4.

Bring it on Sigma!
This is exactly what I wanted to write. Same lenses, comments, everything. Thanks for writing it for me. Bring it on Sigma. Oh wait, you wrote that too.
02-24-2014, 09:33 AM   #52

Hmmm...I think I would pick the Sigma 18-35 over this lens, however it looks very nice.
03-10-2014, 05:28 PM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
does this give Pentax shooters hope for an eventual release of the Sigma 24-105 f/4 in K-mount??
I certainly hope so!

03-29-2014, 11:05 PM   #54
Forum Member

Any experience with this lens yet?

I'm very interested in getting one prime in this focal length and using for streetscapes/city landscapes and for occasional narrow dof for wide glamour. Have Sigma 24-60 f2.8 (main lens) 50-135 (used less and less) and wondered about this sigma or the pentax 35 f2.4. Small and handy is important as is IQ.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

FF won't be on my radar for long time. And the 24-60 should cover that if ever needed.

Last edited by Waratah; 03-31-2014 at 01:15 AM.
03-31-2014, 12:33 AM   #55
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Waratah Quote
Any experience with this lens yet?
This^
03-31-2014, 06:07 PM   #56

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex Nostalgix Quote
This^
reposted from B&H - a comparison of the new Sigma 30mm 1.4 ART lens with the classic 31mm 1.8

By str8rzr
from Jacksonville FL

Verified Reviewer- [the new Sigma 30 1.4 Art lens is...]
Not exactly small - in fact it is chunky, especially compared to the Pentax 31mm f/1.8 competitor. But f/1.4 performance is quite respectable (and infinitely better than the Pentax 31mm), f/2 is excellent and on par in peak center contrast with the 31mm f/1.8 @ f/2 (though that one's got better corners), and from f/2.8-8.0 sharpness is absolutely stellar and arguably the Pentax 31mm's equal. I've not yet heard the focusing action, which is quick. If the size and cost is not a detractor for you, you're unlikely to be disappointed.

Last edited by close-enough; 03-31-2014 at 06:37 PM. Reason: clarity
04-01-2014, 12:14 AM   #57
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by close-enough Quote
reposted from B&H - a comparison of the new Sigma 30mm 1.4 ART lens with the classic 31mm 1.8

By str8rzr
from Jacksonville FL

Verified Reviewer- [the new Sigma 30 1.4 Art lens is...]
Not exactly small - in fact it is chunky, especially compared to the Pentax 31mm f/1.8 competitor. But f/1.4 performance is quite respectable (and infinitely better than the Pentax 31mm), f/2 is excellent and on par in peak center contrast with the 31mm f/1.8 @ f/2 (though that one's got better corners), and from f/2.8-8.0 sharpness is absolutely stellar and arguably the Pentax 31mm's equal. I've not yet heard the focusing action, which is quick. If the size and cost is not a detractor for you, you're unlikely to be disappointed.

This came out not too long ago. Thanks for the info!
04-01-2014, 04:53 AM   #58

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex Nostalgix Quote
This came out not too long ago. Thanks for the info!
A very well made review. I also consider this lens for the next kit extension. But as in the video I found other reviews noticing the CA. This is something that really naggs me, as I wanted to use it in Low-Light too. Stopping down is not always possible then.
04-01-2014, 07:27 AM   #59
Pentaxian

Nice review. Makes me seriously consider getting this lens in addition to the Sigma 18-35, whenever that comes out!
04-02-2014, 02:40 PM   #60
Site Supporter

I am happy owner of FA31mm limited...
This Sigma could be really good alternative on APS-C cameras...
I really like number of blades - 9 rounded aperture blades