Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2014, 10:37 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vjacesslav Quote
I am happy owner of FA31mm limited...
This Sigma could be really good alternative on APS-C cameras...
I really like number of blades - 9 rounded aperture blades
It covers the full frame stopped down, with a bit of severe vignetting wide open - but that can actually be used as an effect. On APS-C, of course, it's excellent.

I'm warming up to this lens, mostly due to its price vs quality ratio... but I'm still not convinced it's better than the 28mm f/1.8.

04-03-2014, 05:15 PM   #62
Pentaxian

I am torn between this 30/1.4 or the DA 35 or maybe the FA 35 in terms of a lightweight walk around lens. :P
04-03-2014, 06:10 PM   #63
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Our in-depth review of the 30mm will go up on Monday.

There unfortunately seem to be some AF issues with the Pentax version of this lens, as also reported here, but optically it is great (though not quite as good as the 35mm F1.4 "A"). The bokeh is lovely!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-03-2014, 10:43 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
It covers the full frame stopped down, with a bit of severe vignetting wide open - but that can actually be used as an effect. On APS-C, of course, it's excellent.

I'm warming up to this lens, mostly due to its price vs quality ratio... but I'm still not convinced it's better than the 28mm f/1.8.
If sharpness is what you want, it should be way better than the 28/1.8 IMO.

04-06-2014, 02:51 AM   #65
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
I am torn between this 30/1.4 or the DA 35 or maybe the FA 35 in terms of a lightweight walk around lens. :P
If Pentax had a DA28 (f 2 point something) WR - it would be a simple decision for me

(Even if it was a DA L )
04-06-2014, 07:21 AM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Waratah Quote
If Pentax had a DA28 (f 2 point something) WR - it would be a simple decision for me

(Even if it was a DA L )
Well, Ricoh released there 20-40 limited, but I strongly doubt them releasing any fast lens soon, because it isn't their current goal (speed vs size) and price
04-11-2014, 08:29 AM - 2 Likes   #67

I have been using this lens on my pentax k-01 for over 2 weeks now. I don't have any focussing issues at all. I have tried 90% of my shots in very very low light just to put this through the ringer. It does struggle when focus distance is under 2 feet. Sometimes I have to go manual to get it to focus very close. It is possible that the min focusing distance is more than what the lens spec says. It is very sharp wide open and superbly built. Beautiful lens. Not sure if this is because k01 is mirrorless and used only CDAF done by the camera software. I love it so far.
04-11-2014, 09:36 AM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vivekgodrej Quote
I have been using this lens on my pentax k-01 for over 2 weeks now. I don't have any focussing issues at all. I have tried 90% of my shots in very very low light just to put this through the ringer. It does struggle when focus distance is under 2 feet. Sometimes I have to go manual to get it to focus very close. It is possible that the min focusing distance is more than what the lens spec says. It is very sharp wide open and superbly built. Beautiful lens. Not sure if this is because k01 is mirrorless and used only CDAF done by the camera software. I love it so far.
Yep IMHO.

06-01-2014, 12:36 PM   #69

Hi guys,
sorry to bump that thread but has this lens been released in North America yet or was that release date only for Japan or something?
I think I'm interested but I just can't find any website listing it in my neck of the woods (Canada). Can only find the Nikon and Canon versions, the usual US websites that ship cross border don't list it either.
Some of you have been able to get it so would you mind telling where and for how much?
thanks!
06-02-2014, 11:57 AM   #70
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Verfallsdatum Quote
[...] I'm interested but I just can't find any website listing it in my neck of the woods (Canada).
Henry's has it listed right here. It's currently $530, but was recently $500.
06-04-2014, 04:51 AM   #71

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Henry's has it listed right here. It's currently $530, but was recently $500.
Thanks, Doundounba. It's in special order though, estimated delivery 3-4 weeks. I ended ordering from B&H: with taxes, shipping and handling and even with the currency conversion rate it ends up being cheaper. Sucks for Canadian businesses but I didn't really have a choice for this one.

Not sure why this lens seems so hard to find for Pentax, given the reviews and the price, I assumed it should be fairly popular! It's not like Pentax offers anything similar in this price range anyway.
07-13-2014, 02:04 AM   #72
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote

Not a very smart idea, and things will lok different on a digital sensor (assuming that you tested this on a film camera)

This lens is the latest large aperture wide angle for Pentax. If you want Pentax you have no choice, but to stick witht the FA31 which in my opinion is completely overrated. Nice lens - I had one - but old design, not APS-C optimized, slow AF and will most likely show its age on a digital full frame sensor. So far there is no Pentax FF nor any interesting large aperture wide angle only lame rumors - the same rumors from 2, 4, 6 years ago.