Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
02-10-2014, 09:13 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Comparison of old version of Sigma 30 f/1.4 with the new ART version here:
LensRentals.com - Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM vs. Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC

Now my issue is: I want both the Sigma 18-35 zoom and this Sigma 30 prime lens. Should I save up my pennies (need LOTS) to get both? Or will the prime be redundant? f/1.4 is nice as well as the smaller size of the prime... but if I had to prioritize the order of buying the two lenses, I'd probably go for the zoom first, assuming both are in stock soon....
Thanks for the review. I think I will keep my eyes on the FA 31 ltd still.

02-10-2014, 09:22 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Here are a few reviews, albeit for other mounts.
A few more reviews here:
Sigma Lens: Primes - Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM "A" (Tested) - SLRgear.com!
Sigma A 30 mm f/1.4 DC HSM review - Introduction - Lenstip.com
http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/09/23/review-sigma-30mm-f1-4-ii-canon-ef/
http://fotogenerellinternational.wordpress.com/2013/08/29/review-sigma-30mm-f1-4-art/

Last edited by seventysixersfan; 02-10-2014 at 09:46 AM.
02-10-2014, 09:37 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Dammit, I just bought a FA*24 F2.
24mm and 30mm isn't exactly the same thing!
02-10-2014, 09:44 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
24mm and 30mm isn't exactly the same thing!
Both sorta fulfill my wide angle fast range though. They are both wider than the standard 35mm, and both are quite fast. The only reason I chose the FA*24 over the Sigma 30 F1.4 was because I heard the previous 30 F1.4 was terrible on the edges, and didn't have HSM to tip the scales. The new one seems to have solved both lol.

02-10-2014, 09:49 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
It's the new model announced on March 8th, 2013 with a completely different optical formula:

Announcement of the APS-C Lens SIGMA 30mm F1.4 DC HSM

JPT, you pasted a wrong link and the availability of the 30mm f/1.4 in Pentax and Sony mounts is Wednesday the 26th:

APS-C Lens SIGMA 30mm F1.4 DC HSM for Sony and Pentax Release Date Decision
I was trying to make a joke. The original post said Feb 21 i.e Feb 2021 - a little dig at the slowness of Sigma to launch new lenses in K Mount! I yave the original 30 F1.4 btw, an interesting lens.
02-10-2014, 09:56 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Both sorta fulfill my wide angle fast range though. They are both wider than the standard 35mm, and both are quite fast. The only reason I chose the FA*24 over the Sigma 30 F1.4 was because I heard the previous 30 F1.4 was terrible on the edges, and didn't have HSM to tip the scales. The new one seems to have solved both lol.
Good for you, but 46mm is hardly a wide angle!
02-10-2014, 12:00 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Both sorta fulfill my wide angle fast range though. (...)
Same as gazonk above: 30mm on APS-C is a standard focal length, not a wide angle.

02-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Same as gazonk above: 30mm on APS-C is a standard focal length, not a wide angle.
Ok let me rephrase - my "wider angle than 35mm on APS-C".

And to provide a bit more backstory, I have a DA 21 F3.2 and a DA 35 F2.4, and the 35 is too narrow while the 21 is too wide. So I was looking for a lens in between that was fast to let me walk around with. Having decided that the Sigma 30 F1.4 had a relatively bad reputation on the corners/edges and was not HSM like my Sigma 50 F1.4 was, I decided to go with the FA*24. Now that I have learned that Sigma is coming out a new 30 F1.4 with better corners/edges and HSM as well, I have some mild regrets.

I understand that reading what I wrote can be misleading; I was trying to qualify it with "my wide fast angle range". Apologies.
02-10-2014, 01:19 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Yes! I will be getting this.
02-10-2014, 01:35 PM   #25
Pentaxian

I have a DA 21 F3.2 and a DA 35 F2.4, and the 35 is too narrow while the 21 is too wide. So I was looking for a lens in between that was fast to let me walk around with. Having decided that the Sigma 30 F1.4 had a relatively bad reputation on the corners/edges and was not HSM like my Sigma 50 F1.4 was, I decided to go with the FA*24. Now that I have learned that Sigma is coming out a new 30 F1.4 with better corners/edges and HSM as well, I have some mild regrets.
I think you'll really like the FA*24-- and I think it may be a better walkaround fast prime than the Sigma 30 because it offers that much wider FOV. And there's nothing stopping you from getting the Sigma 30 down the line and get rid of your DA 35 f/2.4...
02-10-2014, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
I think you'll really like the FA*24-- and I think it may be a better walkaround fast prime than the Sigma 30 because it offers that much wider FOV. And there's nothing stopping you from getting the Sigma 30 down the line and get rid of your DA 35 f/2.4...
My terrible sense of guilt for spending more money will stop me
02-10-2014, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

I'm not sure if I want this or not. The original is my favorite lens, ever. Everything just "pops" in a way that none of my other lenses do. I think some of the "flaws" of the old one play a big part in making it so perfect for portrait-type photography. Since they mitigated some of those flaws, I'm worried that I wouldn't like the new version as much.

Still, this is good news for all. Sigma's not giving up on Pentax.
02-10-2014, 02:16 PM   #28

Photos: Albums
The older 30/1.4 is not a bad lens, in fact I think it's likely to go back up in value as the newer version replaces it in the market. The old lens is maligned for the very thing that makes it great IMO. It has very unusual rendering, that when used right makes stunning images, and when used wrong is visibly not good. I don't know that Sigma has ever made any statements about their intention with that design, but it's almost like the old soft lenses. The center sharpness is exceptional, and peaks pretty early probably around f2, but the field curvature is so strong that it gives the illusion of even narrower dof. The corners aren't great at any aperture, but approach acceptability around f8. If you shoot landscapes with this lens you'll hate it, but for closer more portrait type shots it has rendering in line with the FA limiteds, namely an emphasis on perceived depth, micro contrast,, and tonal clarity. It's not a test chart type of lens and seems way out of character for Sigma, but it has a well loved place in my kit. I like to carry around the Sigma and the the FA35/2 at the same time, they each have a completely different role despite similar focal length and aperture. The 35 is a classic landscape lens with low distortion and consistent across the frame performance, the Sigma is a special effect lens that makes stunning environmental portraits in situations where the FA might render a little flat. Its no 31 Limited, not by a long shot, but it has it's own look and I find that far more interesting than the bland rendering of most modern lenses. I'm not saying technology hasn't improved lenses greatly, just that in my experience there's more to the perceived sharpness of a print than resolving power. And most lenses are designed with the goal of conquering the test chart without much consideration for creative rendering. Here's an example of an image shot with the sigma that isn't really that sharp, and probably should've been stopped down a little more, but it prints far better than what pixel peeping would suggest.
02-10-2014, 02:20 PM   #29
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Sigma didn’t only announce their eccentric-looking compacts today. They also set the release date for the K-mount version of their 30mm F1.4 DC HSM lens.

As a reminder of the specs:
- APS-C image circle
- 30mm focal length
- F1.4 maximum aperture
- 9 rounded aperture blades
- 62mm filter thread
- 62.8mm long
- 425g
- 57,750 yen (but street price will be lower)
- Available February 26

APS-C????????????????????????SIGMA 30mm F1.4 DC HSM??????????????????????????????

As far as I can see, this had not been announced before, but apologies if this is old news.
This is definitely news. The 30mm art lens was previously only available for Canon, Nikon, and Sigma. The US price for the Pentax version will probably be the same ($499)

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-10-2014, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

does this give Pentax shooters hope for an eventual release of the Sigma 24-105 f/4 in K-mount??