Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
02-12-2014, 02:10 PM   #16
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
Why Nikon and Canon costumers buy Nikkors and Canons when they can buy much more Tamrons and Sigmas than us Pentaxians? By this kind of reasoning, every camera maker should have stopped selling lenses many decades ago...
Everything has trade offs. And each customer has to choose what's important to them. There will always be some customers (not costumers) who choose OEM for all their accessories & lenses. Having the ability to choose from another manufacturer gives you more choice, not less. Tamron & Sigma both only choose to produce certain lenses in K mount.

02-12-2014, 02:11 PM   #17

Great, competition for Tamron and Sigma. I hope they release the 85mm 1.4 soon.
02-12-2014, 02:14 PM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
If you want an AW lens you have to buy a Pentax. Tamron & Sigma don't make any sealed lenses.
Not everyone needs AW lenses. Some people only need one or two WR lenses.
02-12-2014, 02:20 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Corto-PA Quote
And IF they end up doing AF lenses for Pentax, I hope with good quiet reliable motors instead of noisy screwdrives.
The noisy screwdrives would be less expensive and more reliable. Aren't the Nikon versions of some Samyang lenses already a little more expensive (i.e., to make the lenses work better with Nikon DSLRs)? If so, screwdrives for Pentax versions (and maybe Sony Alpha mount) might be less expensive than all other mounts. In any case, AF will increase the cost of these lenses. Will Samyang still offer MF versions for those who don't wish to pay the AF tax?

02-12-2014, 02:23 PM   #20
Site Supporter

I wouldn't mind the screw drive noise on some lenses. And for some things where you want whisper quiet, that's when you pony up & pay for it.
02-12-2014, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #21
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I wouldn't mind the screw drive noise on some lenses. And for some things where you want whisper quiet, that's when you pony up & pay for it.
Or just shoot manual focus!
02-12-2014, 03:05 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Hm, but the thing with screwdrive is, that they can't make it a universal system for all their lenses/mounts. They would have to do more than just change the mount, right? But if they add AF motors, then its easier to make essentially the same lens, but only adding power connection to the mount. And I assume that, since this is an Asian company, they might have found a good, cheap supply of motors. A modular approach makes sense, but I am just speculating.

02-12-2014, 03:06 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sounds good.

I am fine with screw driven lenses, as I think, are most folks who shoot Pentax. Screw drive is the "sound of reliability." I believe (righlty or wrongly) that my FA 77, which is about four years old -- is much more likely to be functioning in 10 years, than the best in lens motor driven lens -- at least without factory servicing.
02-12-2014, 04:18 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If i were making lenses in the manner they do (same lens, many mounts) I would go for inbuilt motors, as its just the mount/contacts & some internal electronics which need to change then
02-12-2014, 04:23 PM   #25
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Sounds good.

I am fine with screw driven lenses, as I think, are most folks who shoot Pentax. Screw drive is the "sound of reliability." I believe (righlty or wrongly) that my FA 77, which is about four years old -- is much more likely to be functioning in 10 years, than the best in lens motor driven lens -- at least without factory servicing.

Screw drive was a bit of a shock to my ears, coming from m4/3 and Fuji X - does have a reassuringly mechanical feel to it though.
02-12-2014, 05:05 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
So, will they go reverse engineering way or the license way?
Pardon my ignorance, but do any of the OEMs license their lens AF/communication protocols? I thought it was all reverse engineered...
02-12-2014, 05:44 PM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
Pardon my ignorance, but do any of the OEMs license their lens AF/communication protocols? I thought it was all reverse engineered...
I think in some instances, the third party buys a license. I think in those instances, you'll notice the lens is only a little less expensive than an equivalent OEM.
02-12-2014, 08:58 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Personally I am fine with ol' reliable screwdrive. The AF accuracy in newer Pentax cameras make the AF hunt less and less, so less noise in general too. But "creating something functioning as day 1 in 10 years" isn't the common motto of many manufacturing firms these days.

but in any case, Samyang going AF will be wonderful. +$100 or so to the final price, I guess, depending on the lens. I just hope adding those motors won't affect IQ anytime.
02-12-2014, 09:20 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote

Breaking: Samyang to start producing autofocus (AF) lenses | Photo Rumors

Sofar Samyang has always made K-mount versions AFAIK.
Ooooh... nice. Love the quality of their lenses. AF is icing on the cake!
02-12-2014, 10:28 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
Others replied aleady but yes, OEM do licences mounts.
They do not, however (at least Pentax) license flash system stuff: Metz is reverse engineeering PTTL and this leads to frequent problems.
Sigma doesn't play the game at all which isn't a problem (compatibility wise) for Pentax. Ask Sony/Canon users ..

But... until now Samyang did use older mounts because of free (expired patents) which is why Nikon lenses went AE after a time.
But Canon lenses have never communicate with Canon bodies AFAIK hence the fully manual aperture and stop down metering (if there's a meter at all).
So, license or not ?