Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2014, 04:26 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, if they won't tell anything, and don't allow to touch anything, and have covered half the camera in black tape, why did they show it at all? They could just show nothing. Or better, some lens that is actually made for the K-mount.

But I presume, the show of the new 645D is important for them to impress some big buyers, interested in large projects. Word had it, Pentax had signed a big deal with the Japanese army and the 645D was among the tickets to get such deals.

But in terms of end users, like this forum members and everyday visitors of the CP+ show, the showcase of an unspecified and an uncompleted camera, without any displayed price, expectations or precise time of delivery ... is an undignified and disrespectful act. All the same, they could have shown the blueprints, and a pile of plastic, rubber, metal and lens elements scattered behind the security glass.

They did the same thing last year, with the "display" of the flashgun.

Last edited by Uluru; 02-14-2014 at 04:37 AM.
02-14-2014, 04:38 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Oh please Uluru, can't you stop a minute ?
They come with a new rev of their digital MF, with a CMOS sensor/Live View and you're unhappy as usual.

Ricoh'd better pull the plug on Pentax, maybe you'll be happy for a sec or two.
02-14-2014, 04:39 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Well it makes sense that this cameras has live view - it was often raised as a critique of the previous 645D. And CMOS sensor should allow it. But a video feed for the LCD screen is something else from actually recording high def video, no? The red button, though.. makes you think.. very exciting times for Pentax MF!
02-14-2014, 04:52 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
oh gord who in this thread is actually going to buy one anyway?
I am, I just have to buy the right lottery ticket first

---------- Post added 14th Feb 2014 at 13:01 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
But in terms of end users, like this forum members and everyday visitors of the CP+ show, the showcase of an unspecified and an uncompleted camera, without any displayed price, expectations or precise time of delivery ... is an undignified and disrespectful act. All the same, they could have shown the blueprints, and a pile of plastic, rubber, metal and lens elements scattered behind the security glass.
Good grief - what a negative comment! They've officially announced that the 645D "2014" has a "Market launch scheduled for Spring 2014". Spring is just a couple of months away! If the camera really comes with a useful video mode, maybe they want to announce that at the NAB 2014 in the first week of April? Putting my pessimist hat on for a change, it may of course also be the case that the video future is hidden because they are making last minute changes removing it from the camera because they found out that the Sony MF sensor isn't ripe for video yet...

But IMHO that a CMOS 645D is coming in a couple of months is exiting enough in itself!

02-14-2014, 05:09 AM   #50

Word had it, Pentax had signed a big deal with the Japanese army and the 645D was among the tickets to get such deals.
I haven't heard of it, though I know that Ricoh released the 645D IR in 2012, which is the 645D without an IR filter. The 645D IR can be used for the laboratory in the police, so Japanese police may have some.

Pentax has a long history of making special products for the police since the former Asahi Optical.
02-17-2014, 10:25 AM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
it may of course also be the case that the video future is hidden because they are making last minute changes removing it from the camera because they found out that the Sony MF sensor isn't ripe for video yet...
If they originally intended it to have video and later decided to remove the video function they most certainly would have covered the red dot on the live view/video button.

---------- Post added 02-17-14 at 12:30 PM ----------

Well, if they won't tell anything, and don't allow to touch anything, and have covered half the camera in black tape, why did they show it at all? They could just show nothing. Or better, some lens that is actually made for the K-mount.
I am one of those people who will never own a 645D, but I am very excited about it none the less. By releasing it in stages they are creating buzz and drawing out the excitement. I would not be surprised if this is a calculated move and has nothing to do with delays in development. Maybe Ricoh finally hired a marketing department!
02-18-2014, 12:45 AM   #52
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Good grief - what a negative comment! They've officially announced that the 645D "2014" has a "Market launch scheduled for Spring 2014". Spring is just a couple of months away! If the camera really comes with a useful video mode, maybe they want to announce that at the NAB 2014 in the first week of April? Putting my pessimist hat on for a change, it may of course also be the case that the video future is hidden because they are making last minute changes removing it from the camera because they found out that the Sony MF sensor isn't ripe for video yet...

But IMHO that a CMOS 645D is coming in a couple of months is exiting enough in itself!
+ Nikon is doing exactly the same with D4s/x...
02-18-2014, 02:39 AM   #53
Pentaxian

What is even more exciting is that there were no DA lenses announced.
I thought users deserved some, but on the second thought, no, thank you God, this is waaays better.

02-18-2014, 06:12 AM   #54
Site Supporter

I thought users deserved some, but on the second thought, no, thank you God, this is waaays better.
+1
What annoying would it have been, had they put DA instead of D-FA on that crappy 645 zoom.
02-20-2014, 12:45 AM   #55
Veteran Member

But I presume, the show of the new 645D is important for them to impress some big buyers, interested in large projects. Word had it, Pentax had signed a big deal with the Japanese army and the 645D was among the tickets to get such deals.

They did the same thing last year, with the "display" of the flashgun.
It's called viral marketing, I think the photo world is in a buzz, and it's gotten most of PF on the edge of our seats speculating what features it will have. Ricoh is just teasing the crap out of everyone and making us create the buzz. Just my .02. It looks to be a killer camera, and Ricoh is making a big push imho.
02-20-2014, 02:41 AM   #56
Pentaxian

I get it. Pre-production samples under glass are bad, roadmaps are bad, interviews are bad, giving any hint about what you're doing is bad and disrespectful. Keeping you completely in the dark is the way
02-20-2014, 04:49 AM   #57
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
red dot = video. Otherwise it would have said LV. The control to the right of the VF is a AF point selector. So Pentax is hiding the AF capabilities. They also don't want us to know about all connectivity options obviously.
I dont think pentax is hiding the af capabilities you can see the af dial on the left, AFC and AFS are on there... probably mf switch there too. (actually looks like the lenses have that)

I would expect the AF unit out of the K-3 to be in here, much like the K-7's was in the other 645d.
02-20-2014, 04:59 AM   #58
Veteran Member

I see what you did there... I read your post again, the "flash gun" under glass part and the other post about DA lenses :-P
02-20-2014, 05:01 AM   #59
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
I dont think pentax is hiding the af capabilities you can see the af dial on the left, AFC and AFS are on there... probably mf switch there too. (actually looks like the lenses have that)

I would expect the AF unit out of the K-3 to be in here, much like the K-7's was in the other 645d.
I was talking about af-points obviously it has af-s and af-c. We now already know it as SAFOX XI so about the same capabilities as the K-3. Also there will be a switch to video mode on the af-point selector.