Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2014, 03:46 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
You indeed try to defend their each mistake and stunt.
I have pointed this out before as it illustrates that company is not communicating effectively inside, so any attempt to conclude anything from the outside will be disappointing. In fact such behaviour may indicate the company is in far greater state of confusion / late delivery / unable to meet goals / thus constantly changing focus, etc. than users are allowed to know.
What it illustrates is that they need to pass every word they're saying through their legal department or whatever to make sure no one can misinterpret what they say. There are people out there trying to destroy their image - a certain blog was created for this very purpose, but it's also happening on this forum.
It would be all good if it were based on facts. As it is, though, it's called "bashing" and "FUD".

02-23-2014, 04:11 PM   #17

"As for the AF speed; at the moment the in-body torque is stronger, but we are also looking carefully into the development of faster lens-based motors."

Interesting A HD DA 300mm F4 AW with a new kind of motor would be awesome
02-23-2014, 04:14 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Is it simply the reality of the market? In the last couple of years whole market segments have essentially disappeared, not minor ones. Double digit drops in sales numbers. Ricoh doesn't want to get into an ugly price war, they want to build a sales channel from a rather disgruntled base. As a small manufacturer in a crowded market they would want to identify profitable niches, which are going to be driven from the bottom. But the pull of the mass market, over arching themes and grandiose top down directives Is appealing.

I suggested that the flucard delay was a result of a manager getting a demo, and by the information we have, the result is an excellent product that will move the market expectations. As a wildlife shooter everything that pentax has released is extremely tempting or already in my bag. My exploration of wide angle landscape has led me to wanting a 20-40mm lens, and by golly there it is. A tc to stretch my da300 is on order. The k3 continues to impress. I bought a wg-3 for an employee last week as a bonus for use on his holiday. The long zoom sounds very interesting. They have me down pat as a market segment.

Sony won't be content with the small numbers out of the medium format world, so Pentax is looking for first mover in that market, and to place themselves well for the inevitable competition. I think they will satisfy that market very well, and we might very well see affordable medium format steal away some of the full frame higher end shooters.

Those are the two markets Pentax knows well, and are approaching them with confidence. As for other markets I think they are in "throw it at the wall and see what sticks" mode, with the changing messages and confusion.

As for full frame we will see one by fall. A couple lenses that will round out their aps-c and work with full frame will limit their exposure but allow them to capitalize on any growth there. Lets face it, full frame is niche market, a very crowded one at that.
02-23-2014, 04:19 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Quite generic questions and generic answers, there is not much to learn from this interview. Why were the specific questions which were suggested in the poll not asked? (such as why software SR is used in movie mode, rather than hardware SR)

02-23-2014, 05:15 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Those are the two markets Pentax knows well, and are approaching them with confidence. As for other markets I think they are in "throw it at the wall and see what sticks" mode, with the changing messages and confusion.
As for full frame we will see one by fall. A couple lenses that will round out their aps-c and work with full frame will limit their exposure but allow them to capitalize on any growth there. Lets face it, full frame is niche market, a very crowded one at that.
Something like that summarises many thoughts about their state of affairs.
02-23-2014, 05:19 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Question 8: Many of our Pentax DSLR users have been asking for a camera with a “de-crippled” K-mount that includes the aperture coupler, similar to how you designed the 645D mount with aperture ring support. Is this something you would consider doing?

There are fewer and fewer lenses available on the used market as time goes on. Also, it’s a completely analog operation, so the metering is not as accurate as current technology. For those two reasons, we are not prioritizing to reintroduce this function.
I guess this means "forget about it" (the aperture coupler)...
02-23-2014, 05:37 PM   #22
Site Supporter

What a lovely, thoroughly exciting and very consistent company.
I'm sure they will be happy that you approve....
02-23-2014, 07:21 PM   #23

Pentax is in a mood not to want to talk about FF further, indicating that FF isn't on the horizon. It's like Nikon asked on the successor of the D300s.

02-23-2014, 07:30 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Daikokuya Quote
Pentax is in a mood not to want to talk about FF further, indicating that FF isn't on the horizon.
Every quote we've heard from every source in the past 6-12 months has pointed to a late 2014/early 2015 launch. Ricoh on several occasions has said they want to be a full-line producer of cameras, etc.

I would bet money that it's coming by the end of May 2015.
02-23-2014, 08:02 PM   #25
Pentaxian

By all sources so far, this September. There are already 5 new lenses ready, with an FF image circle, that will also be excellent addition to the current DA range. One of them is that zoom, vaguely mentioned in one answer in the interview, that goes beyond 300mm.
02-23-2014, 08:09 PM   #26
Lens Buying Addict

Only the Shadow knows.

We don't know and we won't know until a couple weeks before it's official. And if we do know we won't say we know. If we do we know we'll never know anything again.
02-23-2014, 08:14 PM   #27
Site Supporter

By all sources so far, this September. There are already 5 new lenses ready, with an FF image circle, that will also be excellent addition to the current DA range. One of them is that zoom, vaguely mentioned in one answer in the interview, that goes beyond 300mm.
Sure, that's what I've heard and what's made sense, but it might slip.
02-23-2014, 08:23 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Sure, that's what I've heard and what's made sense, but it might slip.
as it has been slipped again and again?
02-23-2014, 08:33 PM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
as it has been slipped again and again?

Hey, it's only been 12 years so far.

Still, I'd put money on it by May 2015. It's just too strong of an industry trend.
02-23-2014, 08:39 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Hey, it's only been 12 years so far.

Still, I'd put money on it by May 2015. It's just too strong of an industry trend.
I am not holding my breath for anything, how long have we waited and how many times have we been let down?