Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2014, 12:01 PM - 3 Likes   #76

New guy here (ex-Canon), but I wanted to let the Pentax crowd know this lens is superb so far! I ordered it from B&H on 4/9 and just got it 4/11. I see B&H is back to pre-order as of 4/12 (what happened there?), but below is my initial review and thoughts. FYI, I've been shooting DSLR since 2003 and film from 1991-2004, so this is no greenhorn talking, but at the same time I am not an official reviewer by any means.

All exaggeration aside, my preliminary day and night shots are fantastic. Vignetting is acceptable at wide open, but stopping to f/7 quickly erases this. I see very minimal, if any, CA across the aperture range. Samyang's UMC and NCS are no gimmick. The bokeh is nice and soft. To be fare, I still need to put this lens through a rugged photo outing to check for consistency, but the 63 photos for now indicate this is a serious bargain and worth every dollar, hence the preliminary 5 star rating.

Best of all, this is a rectilinear lens, not a fisheye! There is no heavy pincushion distortion on the borders. Landscapers like me appreciate power poles and buildings that do not bend on the periphery of the image or need post-processing to correct.

I didn't expect this lens to have an aperture ring, but for the Pentax you simply turn this ring to "A" (auto) and have full electronic aperture control from the camera. The manual focus ring has just enough resistance, but if you're clumsy you could certainly bump this out of focus. I do wish infinity focus was a hard stop, but this is nitpicking as most lenses are the same. The protective lens cover/cap is a bit flimsy, but does stay in place. However, I wonder how well this cover would remain intact if the lens fell just 3 feet?

For those who complain this lens needs AF to be worth the price (there's always someone), they need to ask themselves why that truly matters for a prime UWA lens in the first place.

Since this lens conveniently reverted to "pre-order" soon after I purchased it, I added a photo of the item to prove I own it and to add credibility to this review. I am not a Samyang employee, but I do appreciate QUALITY third party lenses and not having to pay premium prices for the Canikons. Samyang really stepped up their game with their 14mm prime, and IMHO they've elevated the bar again with this fast 10mm.

Attached Images

04-12-2014, 01:57 PM   #77

QuoteOriginally posted by TSRAGR Quote
New guy here (ex-Canon), but I wanted to let the Pentax crowd know this lens is superb so far! I ordered it from B&H on 4/9 and just got it 4/11. I see B&H is back to pre-order as of 4/12 (what happened there?), but below is my initial review and thoughts. FYI, I've been shooting DSLR since 2003 and film from 1991-2004, so this is no greenhorn talking, but at the same time I am not an official reviewer by any means.

All exaggeration aside, my preliminary day and night shots are fantastic. Vignetting is acceptable at wide open, but stopping to f/7 quickly erases this. I see very minimal, if any, CA across the aperture range. Samyang's UMC and NCS are no gimmick. The bokeh is nice and soft. To be fare, I still need to put this lens through a rugged photo outing to check for consistency, but the 63 photos for now indicate this is a serious bargain and worth every dollar, hence the preliminary 5 star rating.

Best of all, this is a rectilinear lens, not a fisheye! There is no heavy pincushion distortion on the borders. Landscapers like me appreciate power poles and buildings that do not bend on the periphery of the image or need post-processing to correct.

I didn't expect this lens to have an aperture ring, but for the Pentax you simply turn this ring to "A" (auto) and have full electronic aperture control from the camera. The manual focus ring has just enough resistance, but if you're clumsy you could certainly bump this out of focus. I do wish infinity focus was a hard stop, but this is nitpicking as most lenses are the same. The protective lens cover/cap is a bit flimsy, but does stay in place. However, I wonder how well this cover would remain intact if the lens fell just 3 feet?

For those who complain this lens needs AF to be worth the price (there's always someone), they need to ask themselves why that truly matters for a prime UWA lens in the first place.

Since this lens conveniently reverted to "pre-order" soon after I purchased it, I added a photo of the item to prove I own it and to add credibility to this review. I am not a Samyang employee, but I do appreciate QUALITY third party lenses and not having to pay premium prices for the Canikons. Samyang really stepped up their game with their 14mm prime, and IMHO they've elevated the bar again with this fast 10mm.
no sample pics!? lol
04-12-2014, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #78
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sumx4182 Quote
no sample pics!? lol
People never happy
04-12-2014, 06:35 PM   #79

I'll leave the photo examples to others! See fookus' images just posted here.

04-12-2014, 11:36 PM - 1 Like   #80

can of beer f 2.8 http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img62/3173/eh1z.jpg
f 11 http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img59/789/t9mo.jpg
f 9 http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img543/6972/04qy.jpg
f 4,5 http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img843/4496/d064.jpg
f 2,8 http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img691/9904/8zp4.jpg
I have this lens 3 days, for me amazing
04-13-2014, 07:01 AM   #81
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seems to be a great lens! Centre seems good and the borders are good for an ultrawide! If someone makes a good lens profile for this lens, that would really be amazing. A dramatic new FoV for crop cameras
04-13-2014, 11:39 PM   #82
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks so much for making these samples available in full resolution! They look just great--amazing indeed. But you inverted the f-stops in your series: #2 is f/2.8, #3 f/4.5, #4 is f/9, #5 is f/11. f/4.5 is sharper in the center than f/11 (diffraction) and at least on the same level in much of the image area. The corners are softer (as is to be expected). In the extreme corners f/11 is a little sharper than f/9, apart from that not much difference. f/2.8 is very usable, even if not for landscape use.

04-14-2014, 06:44 AM   #83

K-3 with samyang 10 mm
f 2,8
1/40
ISO 400
http://imageshack.com/a/img691/5505/8k4q.jpg
04-14-2014, 07:02 AM   #84
Veteran Member

it reminds so much of fisheye.. but its not best of both worlds?
04-14-2014, 07:15 AM   #85

in mine opinion samyang 10 mm extends in the edges too much. F 2,8 for me is great. Samyang 8 mm is good from f 7,1
04-14-2014, 07:21 AM   #86

Photos: Gallery
Seems like a great lens! and old school photographers will like that it is manual focus and skill is used.
04-14-2014, 08:46 AM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wurcel Quote
K-3 with samyang 10 mm
f 2,8
1/40
ISO 400
http://imageshack.com/a/img691/5505/8k4q.jpg
Sharpness looks great.
Will really benefit from a lens distortion profile. Look how the door is "leaning".
But that is to be expected with a lens this wide.

The guy at PTLens is great to work with, he could work up a nice profile
04-19-2014, 07:24 AM   #88
mee
Veteran Member

I'd like to see some shots of this lens pointed at a clear night sky @ f2.8 for a good 15+ seconds

I see quite a bit of blue/green CA from around 2/3rds off of center but not terrible... super sharp though!
04-19-2014, 07:55 AM   #89
Veteran Member

I think the complains about this lens are a little unwarranted. Distortion and CA are to be expected with something this wide. We just got spoiled
04-19-2014, 09:49 AM   #90
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd like to see some star or other small light point samples if anyone has the time.....That is largely what I'd use this for, I have to say I really like the samyangs I already have (8,14,24,85)