Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2008, 02:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Should we expect an autofocus performance boost for the K10D?

1) The K20D's autofocus performance (especially the continous mode) is said to be noticeably better.
2) The K20D's hardware in this regard (I think the SAFOX VIII system) is said to be the same.
This means the performance increase was done using "software".

If that is so; is it realistic to expect a firmware upgrade for K10D at a later date (after enough K20Ds are sold) to make its performance in this regard better?

(Sorry for the "said to be"s, as I write these in a hurry; I assume most know about those, anyway).

Regards,

04-17-2008, 02:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I think pentax has said there will be no further updates for the k10d.

Here's to hoping though.
04-17-2008, 03:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

MY OPINION IS; The first K10d's were model revision 1.1. The last batch of K10d's were model revision 8.1. Somewhere along the way they either upgraded parts, adjusted existing parts, or added new software to the cameras being manufactured. I sent my Rev. 1.1 K10d in with a back focusing problem and it came back working great. The metadata now said it was a model rev. 8.1. I was able to retreave all this info with Photome software. Most of the focusing complaints were coming from early (nov '06- early '07) buyers of the K10d, not the recent buyers (late '07). So if the K20d is the same as the K10d in terms of focusing system, one would assume its the same as the model revision 8.1 K10d, not the original model rev. 1.1 K10d.This is of course my own theory, I have no actual concrete evidence other than my own experience with my K10d's.
04-17-2008, 07:13 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I also sent my K10D in recently for a backfocusing problem, I bought it in early 07. I thought I was crazy when the autofocus not only seemed much more accurate but also noticeably faster. Perhaps you're on to something there reknelb!

SLC

04-17-2008, 07:43 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I just checked mine (thanks for the tip on Photome)

Mine is revision 2.1

I wonder if I should be sending mine in before the warranty is up?

D.
04-18-2008, 03:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SLC Flyfishing Quote
I also sent my K10D in recently for a backfocusing problem, I bought it in early 07. I thought I was crazy when the autofocus not only seemed much more accurate but also noticeably faster. Perhaps you're on to something there reknelb!

SLC

I actually have 2 K10d's that are 8.1 now. They seem pretty fast and accurate to me. Worlds better than my original K10d when it was 1.1. With that being said, I have saved the firmware downgrade hack in case I ever need to go back in and adjust the focus myself.

If your thinking of sending your camera in for focusing issues, do it before the warranty runs out. It cost me $252.00 to have it done.
04-18-2008, 03:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reknelb Quote
I actually have 2 K10d's that are 8.1 now. They seem pretty fast and accurate to me. Worlds better than my original K10d when it was 1.1. With that being said, I have saved the firmware downgrade hack in case I ever need to go back in and adjust the focus myself.

If your thinking of sending your camera in for focusing issues, do it before the warranty runs out. It cost me $252.00 to have it done.
I have firmware 1.30 does that rectify the above problems? If not how does one adjust for these differences. Perhaps I should give Pentax a call. I kept my K10D's.

PS..I just sent Pentax an e-mail and will have them install this revision for me.

Last edited by benjikan; 04-18-2008 at 03:40 PM.
04-18-2008, 05:32 PM   #8
SouthShoreRob

Like reknelb, since returning from Pentax Canada with the revision, my AF is much better and far less prone to back focussing. Plus they replaced the bottom plate and cleaned the mirror while they were at it; all under warranty. Good service and done in less than a month.
04-18-2008, 06:05 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bc_the_path Quote
1) The K20D's autofocus performance (especially the continous mode) is said to be noticeably better.
2) The K20D's hardware in this regard (I think the SAFOX VIII system) is said to be the same.
This means the performance increase was done using "software".

If that is so; is it realistic to expect a firmware upgrade for K10D at a later date (after enough K20Ds are sold) to make its performance in this regard better?

(Sorry for the "said to be"s, as I write these in a hurry; I assume most know about those, anyway).

Regards,
I've seen a number of folks saying that the speed of AF in a K20D "seems" or "is said to be" faster than that of the K10D. While such may indeed be the case, I've yet to see serious, quantitative data that support that belief.

I read much the same thing about the K10D compared with the *ist series, but my K10D is not noticably faster than my DS2. Neither camera will keep up with my 3.5-year-old granddaughter without bright light and a fast lens.

If the AF of a K20D is significantly and demonstrably faster than that of a K10D, I'll buy one tomorrow. So far, I've not seen anything that convinces me that it is.

Jer
04-18-2008, 06:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I have firmware 1.30 does that rectify the above problems? If not how does one adjust for these differences. Perhaps I should give Pentax a call. I kept my K10D's.

PS..I just sent Pentax an e-mail and will have them install this revision for me.
We're talking about model revision. When the K10d first hit the shelves it was model revision 1.1 with firmware 1.0. I had the latest firmware in my K10d (1.3) when it was having problems. I sent it to Pentax as a model revision 1.1, with firmware 1.3. It came back as a model revision 8.1 with firmware 1.3. So I would have to say no, firmware had nothing to do with the fix. One would assume that while my camera was at Pentax for repair that they either replaced, adjusted, or reset 7 items to make it a model revision 8.1, correct? I tried to find out exactly what was done to the camera but couldn't get a straight answer. All I know is the camera came back focusing really good, and it was super clean. i did have to send it back because the RAW+ button was stuck in and kept going on and off randomly. I do have a second k10d that is model revision 8.1 with firmware 1.3 and works well. The manufacture date on this camera is about 1 year later than the first camera that is back at Pentax now.

DISCLAIMER: All of this is my own assumptions based on info gathered from sending my camera in for repairs and checking camera settings/info.
04-18-2008, 06:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I've seen a number of folks saying that the speed of AF in a K20D "seems" or "is said to be" faster than that of the K10D. While such may indeed be the case, I've yet to see serious, quantitative data that support that belief.

I read much the same thing about the K10D compared with the *ist series, but my K10D is not noticably faster than my DS2. Neither camera will keep up with my 3.5-year-old granddaughter without bright light and a fast lens.

If the AF of a K20D is significantly and demonstrably faster than that of a K10D, I'll buy one tomorrow. So far, I've not seen anything that convinces me that it is.

Jer
Jer,
Thanks for posting this. With all the raves about it that are on this forum I was starting to think there might be something to it. Like you I'll wait for some proof there is a difference.

Ken
04-18-2008, 09:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Where do we find the model revision on the camera?
04-18-2008, 10:06 PM   #13
Veteran Member

i been playing with my PZ-10, ZX-10, ZX-60 all 3 seem to have more "snap" to there AF then my K10D or K100D evin new i tryed with my Sigma 70-300 Apo and Kit 18-55

i am starting to have some focicing problems with my MF lenes with my K10D and i gess that i will have to send it in and i banged my K100D the other day and it needs looked after i am not looking for word to the LONG wate for the repairs. i probly need to look in to the pro service lol
04-19-2008, 05:40 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Newbie here.Could somebody tell me what back focussing is please.I have a K10D and have taken what I thought were great photo`s with a Bigma at good shutter speeds whilst resting on a beanbag but when I get them on the computer they seem slightly out of focus.

Graham
04-19-2008, 08:33 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Geekybiker Quote
Where do we find the model revision on the camera?
You'll have to download the photome software.