Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2014, 05:08 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I have to agree, having to change my position from "the FF is going to come out this spring." If their development team isn't going to look at an FF until the spring...2016 would indeed be the earliest, and that if they come up with a plan marketing will approve.
Since when was the FF announced for spring or even rumoured for spring?
And the supposed FF is pushed back?

It was always rumoured for Photokina so what is this all about ?

03-16-2014, 06:10 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Since when was the FF announced for spring or even rumoured for spring?
And the supposed FF is pushed back?

It was always rumoured for Photokina so what is this all about ?
Those darn Russians had many of us convinced....
They almost had me convinced there were no Russain troops in Crimea too...
I have to stop taking Russians seriously.
03-16-2014, 06:16 AM   #33
Pentaxian

LOL but... political slippery incomming
03-16-2014, 06:27 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
LOL but... political slippery incomming
Nothing the Finnish haven't been saying for years.

03-16-2014, 07:15 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Great interview. Nothing new, but interesting how the common ground was covered and we got a slightly deeper understanding of what they are up to.

I wonder if the US distributor got a call. The US is a large consumer market and they seem to be underperforming. Maybe some tuning up from head office is in the works.
Before I begin, remember, I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE CAMERA INDUSTRY.

It appears from the outside that Ricoh Imaging Americas can only spend from its local market cash flow. It appears Ricoh doesn't seed them (much) with any market development money. What a lousy, chicken and egg situation - you can't grow without more money and you don't get more money unless you grow. Your only equity capital is work equity - and that will eventually pay off - but it takes a lot of time. I think that's why the mantra in the USA is, "BE PATIENT."

Hoya absolutely decimated the entire US distribution architecture. In addition to canceling almost every Direct Dealer Agreement (or making the terms impossible to meet except for the big three and box stores - it was even called the 'Box Store' structure) Ned Bunnel released the employees and outsourced literally every single function of the company aside from Parts (which is one person). Then he moved the paltry 50 remaining people from the historic Golden, Colorado location to an office building in downtown Denver.

The Pentax Webstore isn't really Pentax. It is actually a third-party dealer operating a website portal to buy Pentax items, but Pentax doesn't absolutely decide what is posted, stocked, or how much (see uploading 645 lenses in the interview). Customer Service at the Webstore isn't Pentax people at all - though they are on 'the account.'

I believe I've read there were only two sales people - the USA was divided in half. Probably Amazon, Adorama and B&H were National Accounts covered by Ned or JC - Ned featured on his blog a Holiday Gift sent to him by the Adorama CEO as thanks for their special relationship. Ned actually had a 'Box Opening' sequence, like it was a gift K3.

Thinking about the 645 lenses issue, if the products part of the website mentions the availability of FA 645 lenses but the webstore doesn't inventory them - you have a problem. People might read about them and want them but they can't get them. I wonder how many 645D have actually sold in the USA anyway.

I doubt USA operates with such independence that this wasn't known by some Ricoh executives. In this case a different Japan executive might actually not know some things about the sales channel that have been decided and agreed on for the time being.
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Before they launch anything worth mentioning, they'd better fix those damn websites. Only website that is good is Japanese, everything else isn't. Can't they just replicate Japanese information in their particular languages, use same CMS with different subdomains and finally get their heads about what they're communicating?!?
The website was sourced by Hoya to an outside company and it appeared to be simply ignored afterward. I wrote a long post when the K-01 was introduced contrasting the USA website (which didn't even upload the K-01 until release date) with the major websites worldwide, which were much better.

FWIW, Canada and Europe are good - much closer to Japan than USA was. Last summer Pentax USA hired a deeply experienced web presence professional to do just what you describe. Immediately a lot of the Japan content and visual imaging appeared on the USA website. USA is much more part of the family of websites now than it was before the new person came aboard.

But you can't fix everything at the same time when your market share is as tiny as Pentax is in the USA. It really almost isn't even here. They're actually building a much stronger foundation for the future in Denver, doings things we don't see, than we really know. I don't think Jim Malcolm expected the depth of anger he experienced in the Dealer community when he started calling on them to restock Pentax. The universal first response was, "Oh. Hi. There's the door. Let me show you how it operates. Click."

MAP pricing is all about giving dealers a reason to stock Pentax; profit. They aren't competing with an Amazon computer on price any more. If you think about what a store really is - it's just cubic feet of space on shelves. A store owner only cares about profit per cubic foot, and really doesn't care what product goes in the cubic foot as long as it goes in and out quickly. All the shelves are already full, so at the margin, to get back in the stores, Pentax has to convince the owners to kick something else out of a cubic foot - which the other guy isn't going to take lying down. Given the last twenty years of Pentax behavior in the USA, would you trust them after one sales call?

When sales volume increases to a certain level Pentax can move more functions back in-house, or pay more for higher-service outsourcing, and things will be snappier and better looking. THe K3 helps, but we need several more K3's in a row to make a convincing case. At the rate of product introductions it will take some time.
03-16-2014, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Everyone take a deep breath. Relax.

Repeat after me, while holding breath.

There is a FF. It is coming. There is a FF. It is coming.

Now exhale.*

*Please note. In the USA this only works legally in Washington and Colorado.
03-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
everyone take a deep breath. Relax.

Repeat after me, while holding breath.

There is a ff. It is coming. There is a ff. It is coming.

Now exhale.*
rotfl

03-16-2014, 09:47 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Sony aren't selling their medium format sensor to Pentax only, but also to Hasselblad (H5D-50c) and Phase One (IQ250).

In short, to all manufacturers of medium format cameras / digital backs but Leica.
Sure. So how many units is that? What is the limit of production of these things? The yield, low because of the large wafer. As they get the yield up as they do, they will have lots of sensors to sell.
03-16-2014, 10:05 AM   #39
ogl
Banned

Fall 2014. Price is not lower than 2500 EURO. Do you want one?

Last edited by ogl; 03-16-2014 at 10:50 AM.
03-16-2014, 10:54 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Are you selling one?

I probably don't want one... but I did offer someone $3500 for a used 645D recently, of course someone else had already bought it by the time I enquired.
03-16-2014, 12:06 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Can we have a picture of it ?
03-16-2014, 12:19 PM   #42
Banned

Photos: Gallery
O wow, it was 2000 at first. For that price I have to save a lot.
03-16-2014, 12:51 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Who said it would be 2000 euro?
The D600 was rumored to be 1500 euro, just before launch. As we all know, it wasn't.
03-16-2014, 02:02 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Who said it would be 2000 euro?
The D600 was rumored to be 1500 euro, just before launch. As we all know, it wasn't.
Who cares, as it is available new for 1100 euro now (w/o vat)?

One thing is for sure: the time Pentax would eventually release a ff dslr, street prices for ff dslrs will have dropped below 1000 euro, probably 1000 $ too ...
03-16-2014, 02:16 PM   #45
Veteran Member

The laugh from the Ricoh could also be seen as, "Oh, wow! FF? You can't even begin to imagine how good it's going to be! I just can't say anything about it right now."

Stay optimistic, right?