Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2014, 06:38 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Uluru, it will remain the best effort even after DPReview will publish their review (which, contrary to all expectations, I think it will happen sometimes this year )
I think Pentaxforums tried too hard to make us happy (using our questions) but unfortunately the result was an interview leading to "yes/no/can't say" answers. IR also answered some of our concerns, but instead of the rigid list approach they discussed fewer points in more detail, and Ricoh had much more leeway to steer the direction to points they wanted to communicate.
Maybe we should learn from this and put less pressure on Adam/Pentaxforums so they won't have a checklist to comply with (or else!), next time.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yeah, that was a shocking exchange considering how strongly I've felt it would come at Photokina this year.

I should add '2016' to my earlier (Quoted) post.
I might have to revise my own expectations as well, but... not yet. For now it's wait and see; there must be some hints one way or the other.
But not in the interviews.

03-15-2014, 01:44 PM - 2 Likes   #17

Photos: Gallery
Dear Ricoh, small hint : the best time is *not* after everybody ditched your brand because you waited for Godot.
03-15-2014, 03:24 PM   #18
Banned

I think we know most off it already and some answers are very short compared to the question.
03-15-2014, 03:59 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This guy knows a thing or two about interviewing people, for sure.

Nice interview!

03-15-2014, 05:40 PM   #20
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The alternative being "Hey, stop buying anything! We'll have an amazing full frame line ready for Photokina!"?
Of course they won't tell us anything until the last moment.
I'm inclined to agree with this thought.

That's two recent interviews now that the FF question has been steered towards the 645D (and/or the K3). It makes perfect sense that Ricoh/Pentax should not want talk of FF to spoil potential sales of the 645D.

Same goes for the K3. FF k-mount would be the new k-mount flagship, so a release near to or simultaneously with the k-3 would have spoiled that product's sales. I also think the K-3 has been sufficiently 'milked' now, from a sales perspective, so a good time to start thinking about the next 'flagship' release...

I personally believe that development of FF is relatively mature (they already know what it's going to be, from interviews over the past six months), but has been carefully timed so as not to impact on sales of other product lines. Sitting, as it does, between TWO other lines, it makes sense to release it last. The low first (K3), then the high (645), then the middle (FF).

I still think a 'fall' announcement (which is actually spring where I reside) is not out of the question. The 645D should be over the initial wave of sales by then, so a great time to begin another new wave of sales. That would be over 12 months of very strong sales for the company, which is excellent strategic selling, and far more intelligent than releasing all three products (K-3, FF, and 645D) at the same time.

But...we've been down this road so many times before, and I'm just as likely to be wrong
03-15-2014, 05:45 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I think Pentaxforums tried too hard to make us happy
Interviewing is an art that must be developed over time as well as based upon a lot of reasearch and knowledgge.
03-15-2014, 06:09 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Those laughs surely are refreshing!
Glad I bought mine when I did.

03-15-2014, 06:10 PM   #23
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mysterick Quote
Interviewing is an art that must be developed over time as well as based upon a lot of reasearch and knowledgge.
...and not beating the interviewed over the head demanding when the FF Pentax body will be released and providing a laundry list of improvements to the current lineup.

This interview, on the other hand, did the opposite by discussing the current product line and using that as their springboard to discussing the technologies inside and beyond..

---------- Post added 03-15-14 at 08:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
I'm inclined to agree with this thought.

That's two recent interviews now that the FF question has been steered towards the 645D (and/or the K3). It makes perfect sense that Ricoh/Pentax should not want talk of FF to spoil potential sales of the 645D.

Same goes for the K3. FF k-mount would be the new k-mount flagship, so a release near to or simultaneously with the k-3 would have spoiled that product's sales. I also think the K-3 has been sufficiently 'milked' now, from a sales perspective, so a good time to start thinking about the next 'flagship' release...

I personally believe that development of FF is relatively mature (they already know what it's going to be, from interviews over the past six months), but has been carefully timed so as not to impact on sales of other product lines. Sitting, as it does, between TWO other lines, it makes sense to release it last. The low first (K3), then the high (645), then the middle (FF).

I still think a 'fall' announcement (which is actually spring where I reside) is not out of the question. The 645D should be over the initial wave of sales by then, so a great time to begin another new wave of sales. That would be over 12 months of very strong sales for the company, which is excellent strategic selling, and far more intelligent than releasing all three products (K-3, FF, and 645D) at the same time.

But...we've been down this road so many times before, and I'm just as likely to be wrong

Sounds better than most of the other armchair strategies posted on this site.
03-15-2014, 08:25 PM   #24
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Sounds better than most of the other armchair strategies posted on this site.
I have comfy armchair
03-15-2014, 09:30 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Great interview. Nothing new, but interesting how the common ground was covered and we got a slightly deeper understanding of what they are up to.

I wonder if the US distributor got a call. The US is a large consumer market and they seem to be underperforming. Maybe some tuning up from head office is in the works.

They are looking to make money, so are focusing their resources, limited resources on things that will sell. The 645D is probably going to face some competition in the next while; Sony is not going to be content selling their medium format sensors only to Pentax. There is a certain urgency to establish themselves in that market firmly.

I suspect that they will release 6 or 8 things this year that I really really would like to buy, and I may buy some, but it won't include a full frame. That could mean that I don't want one, or they won't release one. I have no clue.
03-15-2014, 10:40 PM   #26
Banned

Before they launch anything worth mentioning, they'd better fix those damn websites. Only website that is good is Japanese, everything else isn't. Can't they just replicate Japanese information in their particular languages, use same CMS with different subdomains and finally get their heads about what they're communicating?!?
03-16-2014, 01:46 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Maybe what this really says is that following the 2014 645D there will be no other cameras released until we see a FF. Possibly an APS-C camera announced concurrently with it.

But the *70-200 lens isn't on the roadmap for no reason. I won't be shocked if a second FF model comes 6-12 months afterward. But one FF at a time would probably help increase the ROI.
03-16-2014, 02:14 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
(...)
Sony is not going to be content selling their medium format sensors only to Pentax.
(...)
Sony aren't selling their medium format sensor to Pentax only, but also to Hasselblad (H5D-50c) and Phase One (IQ250).

In short, to all manufacturers of medium format cameras / digital backs but Leica.
03-16-2014, 02:35 AM   #29
Banned

This is exactly what is wrong with today's camera industry and gearheads
5 months after and there is demand for a new camera, new flagship, new everything.
Luckily, new flagship will not come before Fotokina 2016, which leaves us all enough time to learn a thing or two about photography.
03-16-2014, 04:21 AM   #30
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
This is exactly what is wrong with today's camera industry and gearheads
5 months after and there is demand for a new camera, new flagship, new everything.
Luckily, new flagship will not come before Fotokina 2016, which leaves us all enough time to learn a thing or two about photography.
I also think that K-3 will be around until the end off 2016. There is no reason to upgrade unless there is some new technological advantage for sensors that make the image quality take a firm step upwards (on aps-c). Maybe we would get a K-3s when they handled the moiré issue for video with a new processor, but for Pentax it is far more economical to use the PRIME III (and the electronic layout for the whole image pipeline in the camera) for the coming 4 years, as they did with the PRIME II (K-7/K-5/K-5 II).