Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2014, 11:55 AM   #91
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
D600 + 24-85 F/3.5-4.5 is cheaper, lighter, faster, sharper, etc., etc. than K-3+16-50 F/2.8.

Depends on lens of course...
But . . . . . it's a D600 and f/3.5~4.5. Do you really claim that is the equal of K3 and 16~50?

03-17-2014, 12:09 PM   #92
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
But . . . . . it's a D600 and f/3.5~4.5. Do you really claim that is the equal of K3 and 16~50?
Having had both (K-5+16-50 + D600 + 24-85), It's certainly better than the K-5 + 16-50.

I think it's better than the K3 + 16-50 but of course I only base this on 'projections' about the 16-50's sharpness based on data with the K-5. If there's anybody in the sf bay area with that combo, we can meet for a shoot-off. Perhaps the 16-50 is better than I give it credit for.
03-17-2014, 12:09 PM   #93
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
@Kunzite: Try bringing the SR system to FF. The sensor is bigger, it has a higher mass. Good luck moving it fast enough, precise enough, far enough. Are there any FF cameras with optical stabilization? If Pentax can't offer USABLE SR in camera, they will have to have it in the lenses. Which again means new lenses, investments, ... otherwise why would I go for a camera system that does not offer any form of stabilization? And what else could Pentax bring to the market? I like Pentax for having SR, and for being reasonably small and light yet weather proof, and for having a good UI. How small and light can they make a FF camera? Weather sealing exists on FF cameras. FF cameras are generally reasonably well thought out too, because of their target audience.
Mmmm? What do you think a850/a900 are but a stabilized Full Frame in body ?
03-17-2014, 12:28 PM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Mmmm? What do you think a850/a900 are but a stabilized Full Frame in body ?
Oh, I didn't know about that camera. So it can be done. Did it work well? Also, the "successor", the a99 does not have stabilization...? Why?

03-17-2014, 01:59 PM   #95
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
..I really doubt IBIS is a show-stopper for a 35FF Pentax DSLR, but designing an economical, efficient and effective system may require some extra effort. On the other hand, the benefits of such a design would likely flow down to the APS-C bodies as well, maybe even the GR.
?!?
Why not then start from the 645D, implement IBIS and scale it all down to GR?
Nah, but it must be FF, right, or otherwise it's not worthwhile?

At this stage, any our idea about IBIS implemented in larger than crop sensor bodies is a shot in the dark.

I am not at all certain Ricoh Imaging wants to bother with the FF in the first place. All we can see are splendid improvements in the Crop sensor IBIS, so it seems their efforts are focused there.

They have completely ruled it out for the 645D, so it seems that what they want to do with IBIS, is not worthwhile doing in 645D. I would not be surprised if it's not worth doing even in a theoretical FF. Pentax surely does not want another A850 on the market.

So far we see that Pentax focuses on IBIS in their mainstream range of cameras, the Q system and the Crop sized K-mount cameras. IBIS is one of their core technologies and trademarks, and may be the one of reasons Pentax does not want to bother with FF at all; not because it is hard to do, but because efforts exceed the benefits.

It is simple: if Nikon can achieve 3-4 stops of IS using in lens IS, and Pentax can achieve 3.5 stops of IS using IBIS, it makes sense to invest in it. But if IBIS in FF can only yield in some 1.5-2.5 stops gain, what's the point? It starts lower than Nikon's system in the first place. On the other hand, if Sony implemented it and they were able to squeeze something out if it, it doesn't mean much and proves nothing as Sony's strategy and RI's strategy in the FF will most likely be totally opposite.

Last edited by Uluru; 03-17-2014 at 03:16 PM.
03-17-2014, 02:23 PM   #96
Pentaxian

(...)
Try bringing the SR system to FF. The sensor is bigger, it has a higher mass. Good luck moving it fast enough, precise enough, far enough. Are there any FF cameras with optical stabilization?
(...)
Any and all Sony A-mount cameras: Alpha 850, Alpha 900 and Alpha 99.

---------- Post added 03-17-2014 at 10:26 PM ----------

Oh, I didn't know about that camera. So it can be done. Did it work well? Also, the "successor", the a99 does not have stabilization...? Why?
Alpha 99 enjoys sensor stabilization too and yes, it works well.
03-17-2014, 09:50 PM   #97
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Why not then start from the 645D, implement IBIS and scale it all down to GR?
I think you know the answer to that question, but for those who haven't been following the previous discussions, a 24x36 sensor will fit within the envelope of the present APS-C IBIS platform, including the actuators. The 33x44 sensor from the 645D would require up-scaling of the platform to accommodate it. Of course, they may already have done that.

03-17-2014, 10:31 PM   #98
Veteran Member

Does SR make sense in a 645D? Do owners shoot with it handheld?

Personally I'd be much more excited if the SR system from the K-3 has enough range to cover FF. So there is a bracketing mode that takes photos from different sensor positions so when stitched together I get a FF image.
03-17-2014, 10:54 PM   #99
Veteran Member

Personally I'd be much more excited if the SR system from the K-3 has enough range to cover FF. So there is a bracketing mode that takes photos from different sensor positions so when stitched together I get a FF image.
Let's say the movement peak-peak is 2 millimeters now.
For a FF the IBIS would 'need', say, 3 mm (debatable, but let's go with it for now).
For FF emulation through sensor shift, it would need to be ~12.5mm.

Quite a bit more... and not going to happen in my view.
03-18-2014, 12:05 AM   #100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Let's say the movement peak-peak is 2 millimeters now.
For a FF the IBIS would 'need', say, 3 mm (debatable, but let's go with it for now).
For FF emulation through sensor shift, it would need to be ~12.5mm.

Quite a bit more... and not going to happen in my view.
The possible movement is quite a lot more than that though. If you use the sensor shift function you can move the sensor quite a bit. In any case, they should have that function, even if it doesn't have the reach of a full frame sensor.

Last edited by kadajawi; 03-18-2014 at 12:12 AM.
03-18-2014, 01:10 AM   #101
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So... Maybe that's why the FA ltd update is scratched? Because the new FF compatible lenses are going to have the stabilisation in the lens instead? (Sorry, just trying to revive the hope for FF. LOL!)
03-18-2014, 02:17 AM   #102
Veteran Member

i think pentax have already fullframe on prototype,
they just have a lot of problem with it, seems they work hard to invent "more" than a full frame DSLR....
waiting is not necessary ..theres a bunch of a Full frame camera out there
just keep an old FF lens... K mount its still the legend to continues , im pretty sure they still use K-mount for this full frame.
03-18-2014, 03:59 AM   #103
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ewig Quote
i think pentax have already fullframe on prototype,
they just have a lot of problem with it, seems they work hard to invent "more" than a full frame DSLR....
waiting is not necessary ..theres a bunch of a Full frame camera out there
just keep an old FF lens... K mount its still the legend to continues , im pretty sure they still use K-mount for this full frame.

The only reason that pentax hasnt released a full frame camera is because they dont want to at this point. I am certain they could have released a full frame camera pretty much any time they had wanted to in the last couple of years however they dont want to release a camera without lenses to go with it. The new 70-200 lens on the map is basically the most obvious way they can tell us full frame is coming soon without actuallly saying it. 645D II will be in May/June. FF will likely be shown at photokina with a release in late 2014 early 2015. Ricoh is definately not like Fuji or Sony in the sense that they will aggresively go for market share, ricoh's approach will much more methodical. More good things will come in time.
03-18-2014, 04:09 AM   #104
Banned

That would be too difficult.
However, the FF would need no classic IBIS from the crop Pentax bodies if it comes with something else which IBIS related technology would allow. What I mean is that instead of working hard to gain extra 2 stops of light/shutter speed by moving sensor and taking one shot (whilst already gaining one stop by its relative size compared to crop sensor), it could be better to implement IBIS technology not to shake sensor to gain f-stops or reduce Moire, but shift sensor just a pixel in each direction to boost on resolution and detail captured, and perhaps just enough to simulate 'film look' of the image and increasing colour and detail fidelity by nullifying the Bayer pattern with the sensor shift. A virtual Foveon, which gains an extra stop of light each time it moves sensor by a pixel.

With such an approach, the same IBIS technology is used to three diffrent ends:

1. sensor shift to gain extra f-stops (crop sensor)
2. AA simulator (crop sensor)
3. resolution and colour fidelity boost simulator (FF sensor)

While first two are difficult to do with a sensor of larger mass, the third is just perfect for the FF, and the features of the FF do not spoil the treats of the APS-C line. Feature no 3 also delivers the outcomes of the AA simulator, but in a different way. Such an FF would also require superb optics to deliver best possible results and there we have a good and plausible excuse not to use ancient lenses but instead invest in new.

The computational power, however, needs to be very robust but Prime 3 has enough stamina to do it.

Last edited by Uluru; 03-18-2014 at 04:39 AM.
03-18-2014, 05:48 AM   #105
Veteran Member

Boosting resolution/color fidelity via sensor shift could and should be also done with crop sensor cameras. And I don't need in camera processing. I want them to have features (like sensor shift bracketing) that aren't calculated in camera. I can stitch the files myself, thank you. I think at this point it is fine to assume that a DSLR user will process the photos on a computer anyway.