Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2014, 05:20 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Imaging Resource's interview with Ricoh

Key points:

+ AA filter simulator requires new hardware. Not possible to retrofit with firmware upgrade.
+ Currently it's not good enough for movie mode. It's not like they just forgot about it.
+ K50 selling better than the K-500, but we knew that. GR is doing well, we knew that too.
+ K-3's SR is 3.5 stops because now they're using the CIPA measurement method; it's better than the K-5's.
+ Theta... nice reaction about it, especially from business users.
+ Someone at Ricoh Imaging USA will get yelled at for not putting all the current 645 lenses on the website.
+ The ILC camera market is not actually dying.
+ Full frame? *laughs*

Ricoh/Pentax Q&A: Ricoh tech into Pentax cameras, whither full-frame, and lots more

03-14-2014, 05:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Those laughs surely are refreshing!

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
03-14-2014, 06:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Well, it looks like they plan to improve video as one of the reasons people will have to upgrade to new cameras..
Of course that also means zero motivation to improve current models via firmware upgrades..
03-14-2014, 07:02 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The ghost of Hoya destruction rears its ugly head once again.
Outsourced Pentax Webstore 645 lenses

#can'tdoeverythingatonetime

03-14-2014, 07:05 PM   #5
Pentaxian

He laughs at the thought of full frame, and then later says development is more concentrated on the 645D... which is due out in the spring. Can we infer that they won't even be looking at releasing a 35 mm sensor until he spring then. Those Russian guys got it all wrong.

But really with and APS-c 23.6 x 15.7
35 mm FF= 36x24
Pentax MF 44x33
Kodak MF = 50.7 x 39

If you look at it, Pentax MF is four times the size of Pentax APS-c roughly.
It makes way more sense to go to a system 4x than 2x to produce a meaningful companion for an APS-c body. In photographic terms halving or doubling anything is one stop, and one stop can often be emulated. Going to 4x or 2 stops, is much more noticeable ,in terms of the effects of the larger format.
03-14-2014, 07:32 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That was about as strong a 'NO' as we will ever hear from a Japanese Pentax executive.

It's coming in fall, not spring.
03-14-2014, 07:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That was about as strong a 'NO' as we will ever hear from a Japanese Pentax executive.

As expected.

The most interesting part was he said they're still making FA lenses for the 645D. Not only is that important in itself, but it means they're not averse to producing older designs.

On the FF (35mm) side, that means they might produce some other FA lenses again.

The ~24-70 and 70-200 * zooms definitely should be revamped (plus new ones could be a cash cow at expected prices), but many others could be useful as is. So they really could have a full line up shortly after launch if they want to.

03-14-2014, 08:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Yes, I was interested to read that 645 FA lenses were still being produced. I had heard that they were available in Japan, but thought it was old stock. As far as I know, no one in North America carries them though, so what's the point of Ricoh USA posting them on the website? Somebody enlighten me, not trying to be difficult.

Very nice in depth interview.
03-14-2014, 09:07 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
Yes, I was interested to read that 645 FA lenses were still being produced. I had heard that they were available in Japan, but thought it was old stock. As far as I know, no one in North America carries them though, so what's the point of Ricoh USA posting them on the website? Somebody enlighten me, not trying to be difficult.

Very nice in depth interview.
Which came first, chicken or egg?
03-15-2014, 02:45 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
But really with and APS-c 23.6 x 15.7
35 mm FF= 36x24
Pentax MF 44x33
Kodak MF = 50.7 x 39
Kodak MF? Where does that come from?
There's also Leica 30x45
03-15-2014, 05:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Those laughs surely are refreshing!
You think

Looking at the right time and telling us now is the right time to invest into the 645D line, I hear a clear "Photokina 2016 earliest" ...
03-15-2014, 05:48 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
You think

Looking at the right time and telling us now is the right time to invest into the 645D line, I hear a clear "Photokina 2016 earliest" ...
I have to agree, having to change my position from "the FF is going to come out this spring." If their development team isn't going to look at an FF until the spring...2016 would indeed be the earliest, and that if they come up with a plan marketing will approve.
03-15-2014, 05:48 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The alternative being "Hey, stop buying anything! We'll have an amazing full frame line ready for Photokina!"?
Of course they won't tell us anything until the last moment.
03-15-2014, 05:59 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
You think

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I have to agree, having to change my position from "the FF is going to come out this spring." If their development team isn't going to look at an FF until the spring...2016 would indeed be the earliest, and that if they come up with a plan marketing will approve.
Yeah, that was a shocking exchange considering how strongly I've felt it would come at Photokina this year.

I should add '2016' to my earlier (Quoted) post.

As an aside, I'm impressed at the depth of the discussion in this interview versus what we got from the PF interview, though I often think that when reading an IR article.

Imaging Resource or the interviewer (or both) must be very highly regarded.
03-15-2014, 06:08 AM   #15
Banned

This interview sounds better because the IR representative was genuinely interested in particulars and knew *a lot* about modern Pentax and Ricoh cameras.
IR already reviewed the K-3 almost thoroughly, and to my knowledge, theirs is the best effort of all I have read.
IR also gave the K-3 and the K-50 distinguished awards.
IR editor also uses the GR camera himself.
And he is able to extend on questions into interesting neighbouring areas, relax the conversation not just follow the rigid list in front of him.
And above all, he knows the FF question is absurd and makes that clear by using it to further relax the conversation, not to stiffen it and make impossible to get more interesting answers. That is also why I have suggested to PF before the CP+ commenced to completely avoid the FF question, and focus on areas where we can learn much more. Because if you hit the FF button constantly, the RI shuts off.

Last edited by Uluru; 03-15-2014 at 06:15 AM.