Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2014, 11:31 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax FluCard discontinued at B&H?

Update: the card is now back at B&H:
Pentax 16GB FluCard Pro SDHC Memory Card for Pentax Cameras

I was just notified of this by an email from B&H. What does this mean? New model on the way already?

---------- Post added 03-16-14 at 02:33 PM ----------

Here's the text of the email:

QuoteQuote:
Thank you for your interest in the following item:

(B&H # PEOFC1)

You are receiving this message because you asked to be notified when this item becomes available. We regret to inform you that this item has unfortunately been discontinued. Please check back on our website for similar or possible replacement items.

We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.

Thank you,

The B&H Web Team

03-16-2014, 11:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

New code, new price?
03-16-2014, 12:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

OMG, the Flucard has only been for sale since two weeks ago, why on earth would they discontinue it?! This just means it's being bought so fast they're out of stock already.
03-16-2014, 12:36 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, its probably just a web site error. I would post to make sure in the ask b&h forum.

Adorama also has the card fwiw:
Pentax OFC-1 16GB Flu Card for Pentax K3 DSLR Camera - WiFi SD Card 38610

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-16-2014, 12:45 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yeah, its probably just a web site error. I would post to make sure in the ask b&h forum.

Adorama also has the card fwiw:
Pentax OFC-1 16GB Flu Card for Pentax K3 DSLR Camera - WiFi SD Card 38610
It's been out of stock at Adorama for over a week now!

I guess it was pretty popular!
03-16-2014, 10:56 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've just "pre-ordered" mine from Camera Warehouse, which is where I bought my K-3, with a special price for previous customers. As it doesn't arrive until early April, I'm betting B&H got their wording wrong.

A friend of mine showed me his K-3 working with the FLUcard, off his iPad Mini today, so I know they're not vapourware. Thread titles like this one are like click-bait websites, but they attract unwanted traffic and form a good basis for trolls linking to them.
03-17-2014, 12:35 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The card is now back to B&H. It was just a glitch:

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-17-2014, 08:53 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Just inquiring, would this FluCard work on my K5II? Thanks.

Last edited by totsmuyco; 03-17-2014 at 08:54 PM. Reason: incomplete message
03-17-2014, 09:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Sorry, I don't have a link, but I'm pretty sure the answer is no. The K-3 firmware has functions to provide the Liveview tethering capability, otherwise Flu-cards are just Wi-fi file transfer SD cards. Basically, the card can utilize the data stored on itself, but unless the camera is programmed to run code on the Flu-card, none of the other functions are possible.
03-17-2014, 10:01 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Sorry, I don't have a link, but I'm pretty sure the answer is no. The K-3 firmware has functions to provide the Liveview tethering capability, otherwise Flu-cards are just Wi-fi file transfer SD cards. Basically, the card can utilize the data stored on itself, but unless the camera is programmed to run code on the Flu-card, none of the other functions are possible.
Thanks, that makes me want to save up a lot of cash to buy a K-3 and lots of lenses.
03-17-2014, 10:11 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Yes it will work, but you won't be able to remotely control the camera. You can only remotely download files or use it as a traditional card.

none of the other functions are possible.
Not quite, the FluCard will work with any device for image trasferring/browsing. Only the tethering feature is unique to the K-3 (and future models). With that said, if all you're interested in is transferring files, Eye-Fi cards will probably serve you better.

Adam

03-17-2014, 10:22 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
the FluCard will work with any device for image trasferring/browsing
If the files are stored on the FluCard, correct? With the current Pentax lineup, I believe this is a moot point because the K-3 is the only model with two memory card slots, and none of the models have built-in storage. So, the FluCard is only transferring files stored in itself. And with a maximum transfer speed of 2Mb/sec, no one should buy a FluCard just to transfer files wirelessly. Walking the memory card from your camera to your computing device is much faster and more reliable.
03-17-2014, 11:12 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Walking the memory card from your camera to your computing device is much faster and more reliable.
Sad but true!

Adam