04-21-2008, 07:38 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Whoever does Apple's marketing...

would be my choice.

Rob

04-22-2008, 03:38 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Hope you guys are keeping track of your suggestions. When they come out with with an ad that looks and feels like your idea, you can litigate for stealing your idea.
08-17-2008, 08:55 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The importance of ambassadors

Good news regarding marketing, and streamlining a strategy.

I think having frontline figures to showcase a product is of great importance. And when you finally had someone like Benji in the fold, it seemed weird to brake this relationship. He showed the value of Pentax to go for prime IQ and have a strong focus.
I can easily understand why Pop Photography might have a problem with Ben bringing out state of the art imagery; this could make people understand that one did not need a 1Ds series model, to produce extraordinary work.
I fail to see how any actions from Ben could have been perceived as being contrary to NDA. If anything, it was a appetizer and some general thoughts on application possibility. He was very conscious of staying on the right side of the line; to the point that one would have to wait for real announcement to make substantial conclusions.
I think the trouble was that Pop Photo could not dismiss him, he could step up and give proof to the facts that the IQ was all the way up there. If you can’t handle the argument, it is better to try and shut the person down.

When I back in the day was looking into SLR, being persuaded by self-important photogs people to consider Nikon/Canon or possibly Minolta (with a bunch of fact that didn’t prove right), I saw some of the work by the Swedish Pro Mattias Klum with Pentax. The work from National Geographic was exceptional, and if it was good enough for that; for sure it would be good enough for me.
Just as when you saw some of the work by Ben, using the same lenses that oneself was considering, it was no trouble realizing that Pentax could easily do the job.

When Pentax finally got someone in the league of Ben to work with their gear, his output would be far more valuable than any review of thoughts that Pop Photo would try to put out. People have always been able to find and discover Pentax, and even if Pop Photo would try to be negative, it is hard to go against facts that leading fashion magazines did not care what the name on the camera was, but went with the quality instead.

Had it not been for forefront figures to provide the evidence that Pentax was extremely capable brand, I don’t know if I would have been fortunate enough to go with the brand. When all the talk in forums and magazines are put aside, all that matters in the end is the final product and what level that is up to. The work speaks for itself. Andy Rouse, Jason Edwards, etc. showed how the Auto Focus and metering from Pentax was easily applicable with action and wildlife. And Salgado underlined with his Genesis showcase, how the IQ from 645 and Pentax has always been a prime parameter. You wanna hang onto the top players, as they show the actual work that is possible. And can easily put the bashers and spammers aside.

Of cause we know that Ben is one of the easiest to get along with, the born diplomat and easy going character
But having some spark, is just the fun part about reading from his work, and what has taken him to the next level in having curiosity in testing the boundaries.

When coming out with the next line of DSLRs, renewing sponsorship or re-entering into some cooperation, would seem a sound step; as seen from many of us users side. A professional relationship should be possible to uphold.

Anyway, I think it brings due credit, how Ben has not just jumped brand out of spite; and bought a Eos 5D instead. But continue giving his personal praise of the system.
08-17-2008, 10:04 PM   #19
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They should hire my buddy... he was ad director of the firm that came up with "make every shot a power shot", and he presided over the creation of not only that very memorable saying, but all the tv campains w/the balls that made smiley faces of different forms... Very interesting story behind why they did all those 'portrainture' shots in the campaign and not "action shots" ... in short, because those power shot cameras can't handle fast action!

08-18-2008, 02:20 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Strange that they decided to hire ad agency now that Hoya is about to close Pentax

Perhaps they should do a commercial with a falling sky
08-18-2008, 03:38 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
Good news regarding marketing, and streamlining a strategy.

I think having frontline figures to showcase a product is of great importance. And when you finally had someone like Benji in the fold, it seemed weird to brake this relationship. He showed the value of Pentax to go for prime IQ and have a strong focus.
I can easily understand why Pop Photography might have a problem with Ben bringing out state of the art imagery; this could make people understand that one did not need a 1Ds series model, to produce extraordinary work.
I fail to see how any actions from Ben could have been perceived as being contrary to NDA. If anything, it was a appetizer and some general thoughts on application possibility. He was very conscious of staying on the right side of the line; to the point that one would have to wait for real announcement to make substantial conclusions.
I think the trouble was that Pop Photo could not dismiss him, he could step up and give proof to the facts that the IQ was all the way up there. If you can’t handle the argument, it is better to try and shut the person down.

When I back in the day was looking into SLR, being persuaded by self-important photogs people to consider Nikon/Canon or possibly Minolta (with a bunch of fact that didn’t prove right), I saw some of the work by the Swedish Pro Mattias Klum with Pentax. The work from National Geographic was exceptional, and if it was good enough for that; for sure it would be good enough for me.
Just as when you saw some of the work by Ben, using the same lenses that oneself was considering, it was no trouble realizing that Pentax could easily do the job.

When Pentax finally got someone in the league of Ben to work with their gear, his output would be far more valuable than any review of thoughts that Pop Photo would try to put out. People have always been able to find and discover Pentax, and even if Pop Photo would try to be negative, it is hard to go against facts that leading fashion magazines did not care what the name on the camera was, but went with the quality instead.

Had it not been for forefront figures to provide the evidence that Pentax was extremely capable brand, I don’t know if I would have been fortunate enough to go with the brand. When all the talk in forums and magazines are put aside, all that matters in the end is the final product and what level that is up to. The work speaks for itself. Andy Rouse, Jason Edwards, etc. showed how the Auto Focus and metering from Pentax was easily applicable with action and wildlife. And Salgado underlined with his Genesis showcase, how the IQ from 645 and Pentax has always been a prime parameter. You wanna hang onto the top players, as they show the actual work that is possible. And can easily put the bashers and spammers aside.

Of cause we know that Ben is one of the easiest to get along with, the born diplomat and easy going character
But having some spark, is just the fun part about reading from his work, and what has taken him to the next level in having curiosity in testing the boundaries.

When coming out with the next line of DSLRs, renewing sponsorship or re-entering into some cooperation, would seem a sound step; as seen from many of us users side. A professional relationship should be possible to uphold.

Anyway, I think it brings due credit, how Ben has not just jumped brand out of spite; and bought a Eos 5D instead. But continue giving his personal praise of the system.

I just forwarded this to Ned Bunnell, President of Pentax Imaging USA...Hope you don't mind.

Ben
08-21-2008, 08:11 AM   #22

I hope they continue with ads like these, i love them

08-21-2008, 08:35 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Ditto on that one--I have the following ad as my wallpaper on my computer at work...

Heather

08-21-2008, 02:29 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erasmo Quote
Pentax_award_geek.jpg
That is hands down the best camera ad I have ever seen.
08-22-2008, 12:45 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I just forwarded this to Ned Bunnell, President of Pentax Imaging USA...Hope you don't mind.
Ben
Not at all, no worries.

Pentax could not hold onto Mattias Klum, as Nikon went in with the big wallet. Most people in forums, would state that it would not be possible to use Pentax DSLR for high class fashion. One would need medium format, 1Ds Mark II, or possibly get away with Eos 5D. Except that it was already proven that with great glass and a K10 / K20; it was already being done.
Regarding information and NDA; I actually saw it the other way around. Many found the information given, just teasers, as there were no actual specs and facts revealed. It was an overall view of cutting edge use. It was not singling out product info.

Pentax do not have many top level Pro’s working with their equipment. And most amateurs read the magazines, and though we turn out junk, many dream of being a Pro, or acting like one. Having Top Photogs giving the nod and working with the system, is the ultimate approval any product can have. Particular within photography. It is way more valuable than some editor giving a number from shooting test charts, or using a lens in a lab.

Olympus is a big company, but I have quite a bit of respect and understanding regarding how they handled DPr. They had taken the time to give DPr an early sample of the E-510. But no review was done in a longer period that followed, which saw review of other cameras. When they finally brought out the much anticipated and hyped E-3, they didn’t give DPr any sample prior to embargo.
I think Pentax should have the same attitude, if Pop Photo is acting up, well too bad. Hebert Keppler had set a high standard, which wasn’t met any more. Other places have taken over, and what business is it of Pop; if Ben chooses to shoot Pentax. They didn’t have any gripe when he was using Canon. I give very little credit to the notion of NDA trouble. I read a lot of info on the net, and the general notion was more that there really were little actual specs to grab a hold on. It was an artist that gave some testament to his new work tools. All the measurements of this and that, is left to others. There was no actual info revealed, till after K20 was announced. Actually some might feel that they were let astray, as people started guessing and rumours went in all directions.

Chris might have gone too far in his fascination of some new Pentax stuff, but hopefully that was cleared out as well. All the time that Ben and Chris spends helping the rest of us out, goes way beyond what could be attributed to having any backing from a company. They invest a personal amount of time and space, and this brings insight to the rest of us.
Was I in Ben’s shoes, I wouldn’t be taking the time in helping the rest of us, and keeping us up to date on what is happening. He has been very active in the communities after started using Pentax, and has been easy to reach regarding questions and aspiration from us normal shooters.

When I was looking to buy a high quality backpack for hiking; I ended up with a model from the same series as the Pro Gregory one that was used to travel the IMAX camera to the top of Everest. I will never go beyond 6.000 meter ascents, but it is the same analogy with photography.
When people know that Ed Viesturs uses Outdoor Research mittens, they know that if you wanna keep your fingers intact at high altitude you can be safe to get the same. Actually from his website it is possible to directly buy gear !
The Swede Göran Krop had in the back of one of his books, a list over what he had brought on his mountain ascents. It was simpler gear from lesser know producers, but still one read it with some amazement, and realized that alternative solutions existed.

I do respect Osprey for their dedication, how they wanna spend money on building top gear, and not sponsoring famous people. They felt that if people did the work, at finding out what was great quality, they would find the brand anyhow. Still it seems that lately they have gone with sponsoring athletes and use them as design consultants.

It is really a joke to see a C@non sponsored Pro talk favourably of the brand and how he uses it, and then see a Rebel camera at the bottom; but I do think that it works.
Some may feel that Pentax can’t afford not to have the backing of Pop Photo. But really what they need, is to continue to have Mark Dimo, Kerrick James, Ben, etc. shooting Pentax and using it in their Pro work.

I like these commercials that Erasmo and Heather have shown above. I also like what Piz Buin write on their products; Sahara tested. It just makes you feel safe that you’re in good hands. And it was also good, how Pentax used DPr Highly Recommended in their ad for the K100.
I have great respect for Ned at Pentax, so I’m sure they’ll figure out, what to come up with next.
08-22-2008, 01:32 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote

I give very little credit to the notion of NDA trouble. I read a lot of info on the net, and the general notion was more that there really were little actual specs to grab a hold on. It was an artist that gave some testament to his new work tools. All the measurements of this and that, is left to others. There was no actual info revealed, till after K20 was announced. Actually some might feel that they were let astray, as people started guessing and rumours went in all directions.

The problem here is that Nikon and Canon are leaking like sieves. Theres hardly a Nikon camera we have not heard about a year in advance and usually get the official documentations weeks in advance.....
...and Pentax more than any, with a two model line-up and a perceived uncertain future, need all the good rumors they can get...
08-22-2008, 02:44 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Not to mention Sony! They are throwing NDA's at people like crazy, but they don't seem to mind if people leak info.... even I have signed one! Too bad Pentax always have to be so mysterious.