Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2008, 09:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax USA hires advertising firm RPA

If this isn't the right place for this, go ahead and fillet me.

Saw this in my google alert for 'pentax' today. It seems Pentax USA has hired a new marketing firm.

'Pentax Hires RPA'
link (.pdf)

An interesting tidbit- Pentax USA's "marketing support budget" for 08 is $10 Million. I wonder what Canon's is?

RPA has done marketing for Honda, La-Z-Boy, and Mandalay bay. Hopefully this will produce some better marketing than Pentax has done in recent years...

Last edited by clawhammer; 04-18-2008 at 10:04 PM.
04-19-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

We had marketing in recent years?
04-19-2008, 02:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

As long as Pentax goes for funky, Cool, Creative ? Fun! eg. Not just spec sheet addverting like Nikon & Canon. There are some great old Pentax TV ads on you tube! That would work great re done Today! Pentax Dslr's should be marketed as the Choice System for Today's Globe trotter / backpaker!
04-19-2008, 06:56 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by clawhammer Quote

Saw this in my google alert for 'pentax' today. It seems Pentax USA has hired a new marketing firm.
That just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy!

04-19-2008, 07:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by proudtoshootpentax Quote
That just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy!
I'd be careful, that might be fungus.
04-20-2008, 01:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

RPA seem quite good. A bit corporate for my taste. I would have gone with something more quirky like Baron & Baron in NY or Air in Paris.

None the less, good luck to Pentax.

Ben
04-20-2008, 10:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

someone smack me, i thought maria sharapova was catchy LOL !
04-21-2008, 04:47 AM   #8

I can see it now, they start with the grainy OLD TV advert and then morph into the new camera and finish off the add showing the same person but older and STILL committed to taking great images with a great camera.

PK

Cheque please!

04-21-2008, 05:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I just checked out RPA's site, and it is very impressive, very original. I hope they can do something for us along the same lines.
04-21-2008, 06:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member

i have a better idea why dusent Pentax pay us the 10mill and we could come up with ideas on this sight i think people on hear could come up with better ideas.

or do it cheaper buy giving a copy of every new camera body they put out every year for the rest of our lives
04-21-2008, 06:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

My favorite ads they have put out in the past few years have been for Honda. In particular the Ridgeline and Racing ads they put out. I love the Ridgelines corralling the regular pickup trucks. Also the racing ad they did in 2006 that had the normal honda cars driving around normally but with the high performance Indy Racing engine sounds dubed over was great. RPA seems to have taken the Honda brand which is considered fairly stodgy (if teh boys over at Top Gear are to be believed) and spun it here in the US as a sexy, innovative and highperformance brand. Looks like good news for Pentax!
04-21-2008, 09:36 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Peacekeeper Quote
I can see it now, they start with the grainy OLD TV advert and then morph into the new camera and finish off the add showing the same person but older and STILL committed to taking great images with a great camera.

PK

Cheque please!
Great concept!
04-21-2008, 09:43 AM   #13

Ok!! Forget the cheque, I will take a new model camera each time one is released instead. haha

PK
04-21-2008, 10:04 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
We had marketing in recent years?
I saw some eye catching Pentax billboards until around a year ago.
They got my attention right away, and may have helped get my business.

I can think of one idea.
A slideshow with Grampa at the projector. Showing a grainy image. )I have the perfect photo, which they can use for free, just pop my web address in there )

And have his son, or grand son whip out their new K20D, plug it into a laptop, and show what his new camera can do
04-21-2008, 06:37 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peacekeeper Quote
When you mentioned this, the core idea struck a particular chord with me. This is because one of the lenses I use with my K100D is an old screw mount lens that my grandfather gave to my father.

I think they could do a particularly cool ad mophing through generations like that. Would it sell many cameras, probably not. But it would be pretty damn cool.