Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2014, 09:05 PM - 1 Like   #211

Photos: Gallery
Distinct means neither unique nor unprecedented.

You lot are reading far too much into this. Z is just a letter.

04-09-2014, 11:10 PM   #212

Photos: Albums
I'm sure "Distinct Format" is simply an imprecise translation from Japanese, where the original meaning doesn't have an exact one or two word counterpart in English. I simply take it to mean something that none of the other major manufacturers are doing (yet). So buying a 645Z will set you apart from the people with their Canon, Nikon, Sony or Olympus cameras.
04-10-2014, 12:08 AM   #213
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
Why are they calling it "Distinct Format"...? Unmistakable brilliance is understandable. Distinct would mean a format that they did not have in the current line up which is FF.
If it is 645Z or 645 mkii of a 645D or something then why would they call it a distinct format? MF already existed. I am struggling to make sense out of that line ...
It may make sense in the context of Video (if it really has Video).
04-10-2014, 12:44 AM   #214
Pentaxian

I did some research regarding medium format cameras and I stumbled across Matt Granger's first impression on Youtube regarding the Pentax 645D. The only downside according to Mr. Granger is the playback system of the camera. As he showed it, it would take something like 5 seconds for the camera to retrieve and display a shot that has been done. It would take something like 15 to 20 seconds to retrieve and display multiple shots done. However, after the camera is able to retrieve the images, scrolling through the images is the same as other cameras.

I hope Pentax was able to address this problem with the new model.

04-10-2014, 02:29 AM   #215
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I did some research regarding medium format cameras and I stumbled across Matt Granger's first impression on Youtube regarding the Pentax 645D. The only downside according to Mr. Granger is the playback system of the camera. As he showed it, it would take something like 5 seconds for the camera to retrieve and display a shot that has been done. It would take something like 15 to 20 seconds to retrieve and display multiple shots done. However, after the camera is able to retrieve the images, scrolling through the images is the same as other cameras.

It is the old software in an old 645D, plus the slower architecture. 645 II, or the Z, has an all new software and hardware, and in theory it should behave like the K-3, albeit with slower fps rate. But the camera should be very responsive overall.
04-10-2014, 02:30 AM   #216
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote

With them bumping the Z to 50mp from the D's 40mp, and the possibility of video, I'm sure they're including a beefed up processor.
04-10-2014, 03:33 AM   #217
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
With them bumping the Z to 50mp from the D's 40mp, and the possibility of video, I'm sure they're including a beefed up processor.
Yep but probably no more advanced video than on the K-3 (although they might have slightly crippled the K-3 Video capabilities to let room for Z).
If they still use (I except them to) the same chipset as the K-3, it will have the same limitations.
Strangely the two late to the party for video (Nikon and Pentax) both use the same chipset

04-10-2014, 04:59 AM   #218
Pentaxian

According to photorumors it can do 4k video The new Pentax 645z medium format camera will shoot 4k video, announcement on April 14th | Photo Rumors
04-10-2014, 05:45 AM   #219
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Yep but probably no more advanced video than on the K-3 (although they might have slightly crippled the K-3 Video capabilities to let room for Z).
If they still use (I except them to) the same chipset as the K-3, it will have the same limitations.
Strangely the two late to the party for video (Nikon and Pentax) both use the same chipset
I think you are too much into speculation.

The K-3's announcement was determined long ago, and could not be delayed any further. Pentax was already late in development, they had serious transition and integration issues, and postponing the entire project until the new chipset is officially ready and software up to its full potential, iron all bugs and tweak details would require delay of extra several months. At least 6 months.

The new 645 will be released when the K-3 should have been released if everything was fully implemented. But would you wait for the K-3 until April 2014? They knew users were crazily impatient and would certainly write them off. The K-3's specs were capped in order to meet the October 2013 deadline. That was the only way.

The entire internal clock of the Ricoh Imaging runs backwards by 6-9 months. Even the GR would not have been released in April 2013, but together with the K-3 in October and with the new engine if there wasn't a constant peer pressure and internal delay — belated GR would mean giving up its entire market niche to Fuji and Nikon. A hard and unacceptable sacrifice.

Nikon really nudged them hard, before they were ready, thus the GR with specs from the "plan B" was released and luckily, Nikon also did not have the new engine in it (Fujitsu provides for both). The GR had to be released in April with as best specs as possible. Similarly, the K-3 with capped specs had to be released and available before Christmas 2013 no matter what.

Last edited by Uluru; 04-10-2014 at 05:55 AM.
04-10-2014, 06:29 AM   #220
Pentaxian

The K3's electronics applied to a medium format camera, that's already amazing.
This "Z" will crush its competitors, and make them appear ridiculously overpriced. Don't expect it to beat everything in the video area, too.
04-10-2014, 06:29 AM - 1 Like   #221
Veteran Member

Would love to see they can pull this 4k off,.... and then the improvement in video tech can put in subsequent Pentax DSLRs.

at the same time, they could have made it mirrorless + adapter... to dramatically reduce the size of this camera?

waiting patiently for P67D, that is a much better looking camera. :P
04-10-2014, 06:35 AM   #222
Pentaxian

They could have made it a Sony A7s, but they didn't.
04-10-2014, 07:16 AM   #223
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Is it possible that 4K video would require an add-on unit? There were some mysterious taped-over connectors on the model shown at CP+.

I'm also curious to see the new lens. If Ricoh has developed a new type of focusing motor, it might appear on a 645 lens first.
04-10-2014, 07:46 AM   #224
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I wish this is true !
Bumming capability in perspective, versus Panasonic GH4 and Sony A7s !
04-10-2014, 12:56 PM   #225
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I think you are too much into speculation.

The K-3's announcement was determined long ago, and could not be delayed any further. Pentax was already late in development, they had serious transition and integration issues, and postponing the entire project until the new chipset is officially ready and software up to its full potential, iron all bugs and tweak details would require delay of extra several months. At least 6 months.

The new 645 will be released when the K-3 should have been released if everything was fully implemented. But would you wait for the K-3 until April 2014? They knew users were crazily impatient and would certainly write them off. The K-3's specs were capped in order to meet the October 2013 deadline. That was the only way.

The entire internal clock of the Ricoh Imaging runs backwards by 6-9 months. Even the GR would not have been released in April 2013, but together with the K-3 in October and with the new engine if there wasn't a constant peer pressure and internal delay — belated GR would mean giving up its entire market niche to Fuji and Nikon. A hard and unacceptable sacrifice.

Nikon really nudged them hard, before they were ready, thus the GR with specs from the "plan B" was released and luckily, Nikon also did not have the new engine in it (Fujitsu provides for both). The GR had to be released in April with as best specs as possible. Similarly, the K-3 with capped specs had to be released and available before Christmas 2013 no matter what.
Uluru: maybe if some capabilities of the chipset have been present but not exploited because of lack of time for development.
But I don't recall such discrepancies between chipset capabilities and implemented capabilities.