Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2014, 03:42 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Pentax Q7 Premium Kit

Here's an all-new Premium Kit for Pentax Q system fans:
Pentax Q7 Premium Kit Announced - Pentax News - PentaxForums.com

Will be available in the US later this month for $1199.95.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-02-2014, 04:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wow that's beautiful. I've seen photos of old-time camera packaging, and that's every bit as careful and attractive a packaging as I've ever seen.
04-02-2014, 04:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Not dissimilar to:
04-02-2014, 04:25 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Oh, much nicer now that they replaced the toy lenses with the 08 wide zoom. Also the special black finish on the lenses is distinctive. I think this is a really good move by Ricoh. If you price it all out, it's a good deal for the whole kit. Overall it's outside what I'm willing to pay, but this should be quite appealing to collectors and enthusiasts.

04-02-2014, 04:56 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Much better package than the former one.
In fact, I just used a similar set of lenses last week for a one day trip.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/256302-pentax-outing-more-q-...-new-post.html

This is almost all the lenses one needs for casual trips where absolute IQ is not the end concern but photographydoes not take an absolute back seat too .

Very worth set to buy rather than buying individually
04-03-2014, 04:16 PM   #6

Adam - I assume you'll add the order and pre-order links when they become available? This looks nice. A bit out of my budget but I can start saving or wishing.
04-03-2014, 06:55 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deesquared Quote
Adam - I assume you'll add the order and pre-order links when they become available? This looks nice. A bit out of my budget but I can start saving or wishing.
Looks like it still hasn't been posted at the Pentax web store. I don't think it will be available elsewhere in the US.

Considering that the Q7 can be had with the 02 lens for just $396, the standalone pricing of the 06 and 08 lenses is just ridiculous...the bundle is a much better deal as others have mentioned if you want more than the 02 lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-03-2014, 09:25 PM   #8

Thanks, Adam. I didn't even think about it being a Pentax web only deal. I can certainly check the Pentax site for it. I was thinking maybe some of the other places might have it too. I

04-04-2014, 01:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hmmmm..... I am tempted to pick up a Q (or some variety) as the price is dropping nicely on the older models. However, this kit is really nice value.... and the Q7's IQ is a fair bit better than the Q10/Q.

When Pentax releases limited edition kits/bodies it often signals an update is a few months away.... I wonder if this means we might see a Q5 in September or something?
04-04-2014, 04:27 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Hmmmm..... I am tempted to pick up a Q (or some variety) as the price is dropping nicely on the older models. However, this kit is really nice value.... and the Q7's IQ is a fair bit better than the Q10/Q.

When Pentax releases limited edition kits/bodies it often signals an update is a few months away.... I wonder if this means we might see a Q5 in September or something?
Not always the case. Limited edition Q kits come out in Japan almost immediately after the new Q camera's announcement, and then they disappear quickly. Then, after many months they reappear again in the US, or elsewhere, and are available again in Japan.
And so on. It is possible a new Q may come in following months. Q5?

But honestly, is anyone excited about a possible new Q? I personally find small form factor cameras like Q to excite a very little after two iterations. Because there isn't much room for any noticeable or crucial change in them at all. They must follow stricter design rules and restrictions than bigger cameras, and after a while, it really doesn't really matter which Q one has. Q can only excite with some new interesting lenses, but lens development for the Q has been put on ice for 2014.

(On the other hand, the number of Ricoh's APS-C mirrorless patents is rising)

But on the K-mount DSLR front, things can be much more exciting. There are plenty of lenses, but bodies are all the same old song. Hopefully Ricoh Imaging will bring us something new, refreshing, not just repeated K-7 form factor derivatives. I fear, however, I'm hoping too much.

Last edited by Uluru; 04-04-2014 at 04:40 AM.
04-04-2014, 05:32 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
But on the K-mount DSLR front, things can be much more exciting. There are plenty of lenses, but bodies are all the same old song. Hopefully Ricoh Imaging will bring us something new, refreshing, not just repeated K-7 form factor derivatives. I fear, however, I'm hoping too much.
If it isn't broken, don't "fix" it.
There's nothing wrong with the K-7's form factor, on the contrary; and I'll be happy if they'll continue on the same line even if (when?) they'll go for a somewhat larger format.
And I'd call the K-3 both "new" and "refreshing"
04-04-2014, 07:24 AM   #12
JPT
Pentaxian

So for the price of a cardboard box and a piece of foam packing, they get a mention on a number of websites and users get a pretty good deal as well. Great marketing, I'd say!

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
ut honestly, is anyone excited about a possible new Q? I personally find small form factor cameras like Q to excite a very little after two iterations. Because there isn't much room for any noticeable or crucial change in them at all. They must follow stricter design rules and restrictions than bigger cameras, and after a while, it really doesn't really matter which Q one has.
I think there is a lot of room for a high-end Q to be sold alongside the Q7.
- Improved sensor. It's about time for an improved 1/1.7 sensor, perhaps with a higher pixel count or just better high ISO.
- Better screen. The screen in the current Qs has poor resolution.
- Return to the metal build quality of the first Q.
- Give it an EVF or an EVF option.
- Wi-fi
- Bigger battery

But personally, even though I like the Q, I don't find it easy to use. The buttons are just too small and close to each other. I think the single best thing they could do would change to body to be just like the GRD cameras but with a Q mount. The 1st generation GRD was almost as small, but didn't have the ergonomic compromises of the Q.

And they need more lenses - a wide-angle prime, a better standard zoom and some kind of crazy extreme telephoto like Nikon just announced for the Nikon 1.
04-04-2014, 08:34 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Return to the metal build quality of the first Q.
That's the direction they should go if there is enough market, especially if they want to charge what they're charging for stand-a;one lenses.
  • Qxx-line with colored bodies and mid-range style controls
    • 02 and Toy lenses targeted
  • Qx line with metal bodies but a slightly larger form, and DSLR controls, external EVF and new technologies.
    • 01, 06, 08, etc. and accessories targeted.
04-04-2014, 09:14 AM   #14
Site Supporter

I think there is good opportunity to improve the video framerates, jello cam, moire, etc. Seems like this would be a pretty reasonable place to focus on video capabilities compared to video on bigger sensors, since the technology is better established for smaller sensors. Also mechanical video SR.
04-04-2014, 04:13 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
If it isn't broken, don't "fix" it.
There's nothing wrong with the K-7's form factor, on the contrary; and I'll be happy if they'll continue on the same line even if (when?) they'll go for a somewhat larger format.
And I'd call the K-3 both "new" and "refreshing"
Mea culpa I meant, in addition to current look of the Pentax DSLRs. I think there is possibility to do something else, and still use the K mount.
K-01 was such an attempt, and abandoned. But other directions are possible too.