Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2008, 06:34 PM   #151
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JasonS Quote
That sure brings back memories! My group of friends "rebelled" against "preppies wearing Izod" by going punk.....
Nah, no fashion in that...
How innocent of you. Go check out what kids are wearing these days. $300 spiky boots

05-02-2008, 04:30 AM   #152
Inactive Account

Hi again

To be fair, the point of my original contribution was to challenge the blanket-assumption that Pentax have
'worldwide brand recognition' !! In reply to falconeye, if you read what I actually wrote, I never remotely claimed that:

QuoteQuote:
Pentax is......among the Top-100 brands.
nor

QuoteQuote:
......that Pentax is one of the top 10 brands on this planet.
My question simply was:

QuoteQuote:
Q: Do you recognise any of the following brands and if so, kindly place them in order of magnitude ?
And in reply to Pål Jensen's answer:

QuoteQuote:
It is your interpretation of the lists that's the problem.
O.K., let's get down to brass-tacks for a moment. I am in my mid 50's and well remember numerous camera companies that used to ply their wares during the latter half of the 20th century, including some Very-Well known makes AT THAT TIME.
The fact remains that many of those businesses have subsequently bitten the dust along the way. However, if you were to resurrect a selection of these 'forgotten' names and present them to an audience of under 20-year olds today, it is entirely possible that you might receive mystified expressions or blank looks from a sizeable percentage of those young people.
Despite what you might think, it is not my intention to knock the fine products that Pentax manufacture, but to bring them to a wider audience, which is an area in which I believe the current management executives have failed pretty miserably !

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 05-02-2008 at 01:44 PM.
05-12-2008, 02:45 PM   #153
Pentaxian

Too bad for Pentax that the relationship has been severed. I used to work in the publishing industry, way back in '68. At that time the cameras that were regarded as the two top lines, were Leica and Nikon.

Pentax was probably # 3, possibly Canon was # 3. I'm not really sure. Canon did have their fine Rangefinders.

I was told by my publisher (small company) that I had to buy a 35 mm camaera that could take pictures suitable for publishing. He told me to get either Nikon or Pentax. I bought my new. '68 Pentax S1a and a hand held light meter, that still work today.

In the '60's Pentax were used by a number of pros but the number dwindled to almost nothing, I think until the K10D came out.

There were those who used the 6 X 7, the 645 or the LX...but their numbers paled compared to Nikon and of course Canon.

It's unfortunate that Pentax and Ben are no longer working together, because having a Pro use their equipment, means a lot of sales and status. Pentax needs to have all the pros they can get, using their cameras.

I have to tip my cap to you Ben. Not too many people would continue to use the equipment of a company they had severed their relationship. I'm glad that you continue to use the equipment, as it says to me that if a Pro uses a certain tool, without any compensation, it must be a good tool.

You are a 'class' fellow.
05-12-2008, 06:13 PM   #154
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Ben,
I am truly sorry to hear about your sponsorship. With or with out it you are one of the very best and most creative photographers I know. I always enjoy your work and I don't give a rats ass what camera you use. You have been there many times and I thank you so very much for your support. I know You will be there as a mentor for most of us here and I want you to know if there is anything you need and i can do or if you just want to shoot the shit You know where to find me.
I will look forward to seeing your posts here and seeing more of your professional work and also your private work. Take care my friend and you know where to find me .
David

05-14-2008, 01:31 PM   #155
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
Ben,
I am truly sorry to hear about your sponsorship. With or with out it you are one of the very best and most creative photographers I know. I always enjoy your work and I don't give a rats ass what camera you use. You have been there many times and I thank you so very much for your support. I know You will be there as a mentor for most of us here and I want you to know if there is anything you need and i can do or if you just want to shoot the shit You know where to find me.
I will look forward to seeing your posts here and seeing more of your professional work and also your private work. Take care my friend and you know where to find me .
David
Thank you David...I will be using Pentax products for all of the shoots done unless asked to shoot in Medium format digital.

Ben
05-14-2008, 02:08 PM   #156
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hey Ben,

Breakups over creative direction or differences probably equal the number of marriage divorces...

Regardless, I hope you keep chiming in here once in awhile, and I also presume that you are a reasonably smart businessman that understands cash flow, which is to say that if I were in your shoes, I would work that FREE gear until it dropped dead before I paid a penny for anything eles, regardless of brand.

Of course, if a given assignment requires X, you have to rent or buy X if you want that job, but at the end of the day one still has to pay the bills, n'est-ce pas?

Ray
05-28-2008, 03:35 AM   #157
Inactive Account

I must say, what an interesting thread.

--------------

I am most certainly a small fish in a big pond, but some of the attitudes taken toward brand loyalty tend to border on the absurd.

Pentax does not pay my bills. They don't message my feet at night, offer to babysit my children when I want to see a movie with the wife, or call me to wish me a happy birthday.
Pentax makes cameras and lenses. Very good cameras and lenses. Then they sell them.

-----

Why would anyone truly care if Pentax was a popular brand or not? It's not as if their prices would be significantly lower because of the greater popularity -- The fact that same-quality Canon and Nikon system prices are higher than Pentax proves that.

Pentax makes a DSLR system. I hope they improve upon that system to improve the performance of my camera, and to offer me upgrade paths in the future. I certainly hope they continue to provide technical support, etc. for their cameras.

But frankly, I don't give one iota if Pentax fails to reach mass-market status. That doesn't help my position. Having "other people" know about Pentax really doesn't help me at all, besides maybe being able to borrow a lens from a friend

As long as Pentax doesn't disappear completely from the planet and continues to flesh out their DSLR system and make great cameras, they can remain the underdog. I really don't care.

They make great cameras and lenses - Perfect? Of course not. For for my purposes they certainly suit me. If I can pick up my Samsung/Pentax/Hoya K500D (or whatever) in 10 years and have it fit my soon-to-be-had DA* 16-50mm and 50-135mm lenses, then I'm a happy camper.

Let the Canoneers strut around with their long white lenses -- My satisfaction with my camera's performance is all that matters. Good for them (or anyone else!) for buying Canon - I hope they enjoy their camera system as much as I enjoy mine.