Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2008, 10:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My Pentax Sponsorship is Over...Benjamin Kanarek

Hello Everyone;

I wish to announce that I am no longer sponsored by Pentax and am a free agent. I will use Pentax gear as it suits my needs for now.

Let us just say that there were some rather profound differences of opinion that ended in the decision that this would be the best for all parties. I had made my intentions clear several months ago. There were some back and forth resonant expressions of intent on either side, with the resultant situation I am in today, free to choose what best suits my purposes.

As of this point in time, I am just another pro photographer.

There you have it...Let the show continue

Benjamin Kanarek

Last edited by benjikan; 04-22-2008 at 09:32 AM.
04-21-2008, 10:28 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Ben,
I want to thank you for all your help and shared knowledge over the last +/- 18 months. I hope you will continue to participate in the Forum.
Are you able to share more details about your differences with Pentax.
Best wishes and I am sure you will have no trouble finding another sponsor should you desire.
04-21-2008, 10:28 AM   #3
Inactive Account

So I guess the logical question is - now that you are free to choose, what would you and why? And, no more NDA. Tell us what you know that we don't! hehe
04-21-2008, 10:35 AM   #4
and
Veteran Member

wonder what happens when canon comes knocking with a free 1ds mkIII or nikon in some months with a brand new d3x. Anyone taking bets if he still shoots pentax in6 months

04-21-2008, 10:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wethphotography Quote
Ben,
I want to thank you for all your help and shared knowledge over the last +/- 18 months. I hope you will continue to participate in the Forum.
Are you able to share more details about your differences with Pentax.
Best wishes and I am sure you will have no trouble finding another sponsor should you desire.
Thanks, but no thanks to another sponsorship....Too complicated.

Let's just say, that I, like all of you, are photographers using stuff we need to do what we do, capture images. If we don't need it why use it? I have cameras' and lenses. That usually does the trick.

Ben

PS...I don't plan on leaving this place for a while.

Last edited by benjikan; 04-21-2008 at 12:42 PM.
04-21-2008, 10:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
wonder what happens when canon comes knocking with a free 1ds mkIII or nikon in some months with a brand new d3x. Anyone taking bets if he still shoots pentax in6 months
You can address me directly and not in the third person if you like.

Ben
04-21-2008, 10:48 AM   #7
Not Registered

Even if I disagreed with most of your posts, I think you did an excellent job (both for pentax and for your real profession). Good luck with whatever system you choose. You are a gifted photog so I dont think that it will take too much time until you start another sponsorship (or did it already happen ))

Edited: forget about the sponsorship, you already answer before.

Last edited by Not Registered; 04-21-2008 at 11:05 AM. Reason: correction
04-21-2008, 11:29 AM   #8

Ben, thank you for your lively, insightful and informative contributions to this Pentax community. We look forward to your continued involvement!

Arthur
04-21-2008, 12:07 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I would have to say this is Pentax loss. Ben, I would have to go with whoever gave me the latitude to shoot "my" way and willing to give me the equipment to support that. Anyway, I wish you the best and hope you will remain a part of this forum even when sponsored by another manufacturer.
04-21-2008, 12:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

How About Samsung ?
04-21-2008, 12:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by squarerigger Quote
I would have to say this is Pentax loss. Ben, I would have to go with whoever gave me the latitude to shoot "my" way and willing to give me the equipment to support that. Anyway, I wish you the best and hope you will remain a part of this forum even when sponsored by another manufacturer.
Thanks again. As I said earlier, I have no plans of being sponsored by anyone right now. After Canon and Pentax, I think I would prefer to be a free agent.

Ben :-)
04-21-2008, 12:17 PM   #12

So THAT'S what the NDA was all about?

Just kidding. Hope you will stay around. And hope you will enjoy your freedom.

MaritimTim
04-21-2008, 12:25 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ben, you're a true artist, and I've enjoyed your work and your posts here a great deal. I hope Pentax realizes what they are losing. Anyway, the name on the gear doesn't really matter, it's the vision that counts - I'm sure you could successfully sponsor Holga if you wanted. Good luck with your future endeavors
-G
04-21-2008, 12:27 PM   #14
racinsince55

Well Ben,

It's been a fun 18 months.

I hope you will continue to praise Pentax products as an independent user as much as you did as a sponsored user.

r
04-21-2008, 12:29 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, similar to the desert island thread...

Lets hypothetically say that you were sponsored by Pentax, and given ANY pentax gear to work with. Then you sponsorship ended on undisclosed terms...

Which pentax gear would you keep knowing you have to pay for it?

I am guessing you start with the K20D, the DA*16-50/2.8

then you suffer trying to decide between the 12-24 for those creative angles... but it does put you so close to the models as to be distracting? or maybe you like the extra length of the DA*50-135/2.8? maybe the FA77ltd and the DA*200mm instead?

the limiteds? Where do you start with these? the FA's? the DA's?

I am curious, as a pro fashion shooter, I am assuming you are starting over with gear... what do you buy first? What would you have to have to do a shoot this weekend?