Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2008, 12:38 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kmccanta Quote
Lets hypothetically say that you were sponsored by Pentax, and given ANY pentax gear to work with. Then you sponsorship ended on undisclosed terms...

Which pentax gear would you keep knowing you have to pay for it?

I am guessing you start with the K20D, the DA*16-50/2.8

then you suffer trying to decide between the 12-24 for those creative angles... but it does put you so close to the models as to be distracting? or maybe you like the extra length of the DA*50-135/2.8? maybe the FA77ltd and the DA*200mm instead?

the limiteds? Where do you start with these? the FA's? the DA's?

I am curious, as a pro fashion shooter, I am assuming you are starting over with gear... what do you buy first? What would you have to have to do a shoot this weekend?

Just a point of clarification. I am keeping all the gear Pentax gave me.

If I had to choose one lens and camera for this shoot on Wednesday, the decision is quite simple. The K20D with battery grip and the DA*16-50 f2.8 lens. In fact when I was with Canon almost all the stuff I did was with the 17-40. The 16-50 Covers 90 percent of everything I need. Think about it, the Pentax 16-50 translates to a 24-75mm lens at f2.8 in 35mm format. Perfect range for my metier and my style of shooting.

Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 04-21-2008 at 12:57 PM.
04-21-2008, 12:45 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Well.. crap. That's all I can say.
04-21-2008, 12:53 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Just a point of clarification. I am keeping all the gear Pentax gave me.

If I had to choose one lens and camera for this shoot on Wednesday, the decision is quite simple. The K20D with battery grip and the DA*16-50 f2.8 lens. In fact when I was with Canon almost all the stuff I did was with the 17-40. The 16-50 Covers 90 percent of everything I need. Think about it, a 24-75mm lens at f2.8. Perfect range for my metier and my style of shooting.

Ben
ie. the Tamron 28-75mm is your lens of choice....
04-21-2008, 12:56 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
ie. the Tamron 28-75mm is your lens of choice....
What I meant was that the Pentax DA 16-50 translates to a 24-75 in 35mm format.

Ben

04-21-2008, 12:58 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Well.. crap. That's all I can say.
What is Crap? What I said or the situation?

Ben
04-21-2008, 01:17 PM   #21

sorry to hear that.
is it about some kinds of gear you would like to use in the future?
04-21-2008, 01:19 PM   #22
Veteran Member

why are you all talking like Ben's vacating the forum?!
like we say to everyone here asking about Nikons and Canons, get the gear that fits your needs.

04-21-2008, 01:20 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by norm Quote
sorry to hear that.
is it about some kinds of gear you would like to use in the future?
Nope...purely political.

Ben
04-21-2008, 01:28 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What is Crap? What I said or the situation?

Ben
well, I can't speak for ftpaddict, but I myself have the same feeling. granted, you've said that you will still use what you have for the time being and that you plan on staying somewhat active on this forum, but still the new situation suggests a couple things: that pentax perhaps could not recognize what a good advocate you were so to me it indicates that pentax doesn't recognize the positive influence a photographer with excellent skills brings to their brand. the second, more selfish thing I'm a bit disappointed in is that you've offered your advise/assistance on many things that I have found helpful (ie: your post production tips) and now it's possible that these nuggets won't be offered as often.

but regardless, so long as you're happy with your current arrangement, that's the important thing. good luck with your steps forward!
04-21-2008, 01:43 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Hi Ben,
You probably can't answer this, but is Pentax backing away from sponsoring professionals like yourself? Granted, with your talent, it doesn't seem that the camera really has much impact, but many of us are 'dyed in the wool' Pentax users. Having someone of your caliber is really testament to their desire to grow the product. What ever the case, it is always a pleasure to read your threads and view the images you so generously share.
All the best!
04-21-2008, 01:44 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
well, I can't speak for ftpaddict, but I myself have the same feeling. granted, you've said that you will still use what you have for the time being and that you plan on staying somewhat active on this forum, but still the new situation suggests a couple things: that pentax perhaps could not recognize what a good advocate you were so to me it indicates that pentax doesn't recognize the positive influence a photographer with excellent skills brings to their brand. the second, more selfish thing I'm a bit disappointed in is that you've offered your advise/assistance on many things that I have found helpful (ie: your post production tips) and now it's possible that these nuggets won't be offered as often.

but regardless, so long as you're happy with your current arrangement, that's the important thing. good luck with your steps forward!
Thanks..I promise that I will respond to the best of my knowledge to any queries you have. Look. I didn't make my career by using a brand. It is just a tool for creating an image. A great tool none the less the Pentax is.

Look , between my discussions and conflicts with Carole, Philippe etc. at Pentax France, I had the feeling that they really didn't quite get how to build a myth from a brand. Their creative marketing choices were not credible to my sector. Perhaps with the improvements of the Pentax line there will be more migrations.

My intention was to re-establish the pedigree that was Pentax=Fashion. Not ephemeral but deeply ensconced in Fashion and therefore cutting edge and avant garde.

I was also taken aback by a certain lobbying magazine that placed pressure on Pentax in regards to my rather unconventional approach...That is..."he is actually using a Pentax and coming out of the closet with conviction. That is dangerous." Pentax seems to need the main stream press more than they needed me it seems.

But that is between N-d, myself and and a very P-Pular magazine.

C'est la vie...

Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 04-21-2008 at 02:17 PM.
04-21-2008, 02:30 PM   #27
Veteran Member

C'est la vie...

Ben
Ben,
I'm very sorry to hear about this. You have been a good marketing tool for Pentax and it is their misfortune you are parting ways. I'm not surprised at what appears to be a "Business as usual" attitude from Pentax. Your vision of what could be was probably more than they could deal with.

Thank you for some of the valuable tips you have given us and some of the thought provoking statements you have made. Stick around will you? There will be a lot of things that will pop up in the next year that I for one would welcome your input.

Thanks again,
Ken
04-21-2008, 04:12 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I just wanted to wish you good luck as a free agent Ben
I'm sure that you'll like it way more.

I sometimes find that a semi sponsorship is tough enough (I get pretty much anything I want at or below cost), and I imagine that it must have been harder on you with a full sponsorship
04-21-2008, 04:35 PM   #29
Veteran Member

But that is between N-d, myself and and a very P-Pular magazine.
Ben
So how p-pular is this photography magazine then?
04-21-2008, 04:40 PM   #30
Inactive Account

Sorry if this is a stupid question....... (and I mean no disrespect at all)

What does it mean to be sponsored by a Camera Company being a profesional photographer and how does something like that work?

Who benefits? Them or you or both?

Ben, I don't know you and to be honest I don't know OF you.... are you that famous / known that it was a big deal that you used Pentax gear?

(Although that question may seem rude its intent is not.... I know nothing of the photography world.... so I am the ignorant one here)

D.