Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
04-08-2014, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #46
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by billyc847 Quote
Can we enter more than one photo, or is the decision we will have to make going to be as hard as the decision the judges are (likely) going to have to make?
It'll be just one pic.

QuoteOriginally posted by RichA Quote
The contest is fine, but hopefully it doesn't involve providing names, addresses, phone numbers before the winner is chosen. Most of these are sold by companies after the fact. Data sales are one of the largest generators of income on the net, in retail, etc. However, there is no reason people need to provide their information up-front. Usernames and passwords should be sufficient to submit a photo so if that is all they need, fine.
We're hosting the contest, so all that advertising crap doesn't apply

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-08-2014, 04:47 PM   #47

Photos: Gallery
Should I hold off buying mine?
04-08-2014, 04:59 PM - 4 Likes   #48
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
The contest is fine, but hopefully it doesn't involve providing names, addresses, phone numbers before the winner is chosen. Most of these are sold by companies after the fact. Data sales are one of the largest generators of income on the net, in retail, etc. However, there is no reason people need to provide their information up-front. Usernames and passwords should be sufficient to submit a photo so if that is all they need, fine.
Such a kiljoy.

Seriously, I doubt that Adam and company are using this forum for data mining or to subvert the confidential information that members here may have entered into their profiles. Take a real good look at this forum.

Do you notice anything unique?

Yes, there is a significant lack of ad banners here.

Because this forum is supported largely through the funds generated buy members who choose to be "site supporters" or those who make an occasional donation. There is also a small amount of revenue generated when one of us chooses to click through the B&H or Adorama banners to make a purchase.

Other than that, this is simply a group of like minded individuals, sharing ideas, questions, techniques, photographs, and friendship.

Perhaps your foil hat is on a bit too tight.
04-08-2014, 06:01 PM   #49

I only have an ipad and galaxy 3 are this count?

04-08-2014, 06:01 PM   #50
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Such a kiljoy.

Seriously, I doubt that Adam and company are using this forum for data mining or to subvert the confidential information that members here may have entered into their profiles. Take a real good look at this forum.

Because this forum is supported largely through the funds generated buy members who choose to be "site supporters" or those who make an occasional donation. There is also a small amount of revenue generated when one of us chooses to click through the B&H or Adorama banners to make a purchase.

Other than that, this is simply a group of like minded individuals, sharing ideas, questions, techniques, photographs, and friendship.

Think RichA has a good point. And he doesn't seem to be under the allusion of conspiracy theories.. just reality to what happens with personal data these days. Even to fill out a Mens NCAA Tournament bracket with ESPN you had to provide your name, address, and phone number to enter the prize pool. And the possible combinations in that were over 9.2 Quintillion (though one article claimed that is if you picked randomly for every. single. game. which most people don't -- the real odds would be closer to 128 Billion haha).

And there were still over 11 million brackets submitted.

Even if someone submitted multiple brackets.. and the average per person was 4 brackets (which is extraordinarily generous), then there were still almost 2.8 million people's personal information collected (the fiiiine print stated you agree they can contact you about special deals via phone, text, and/or mail).

That is just how the internet rolls today and it is better to be safe than sorry, I find. Contacting the winners via PM should be sufficient for requesting further information to ship out their prizes. Not that I think Adam is up to nefarious schemes with our datas.. but the less info you provide someone, the better.

---------- Post added 04-08-14 at 08:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by naldopr Quote
I only have an ipad and galaxy 3 are this count?
Says any camera.. so it seems if it takes photos, it qualifies! Actually that would be rather remarkable if a cellphone or tablet taken photo wins and they are awarded with the current flagship Pentax K-mount camera.
04-08-2014, 06:09 PM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Think RichA has a good point. And he doesn't seem to be under the allusion of conspiracy theories.. just reality to what happens with personal data these days. Even to fill out a Mens NCAA Tournament bracket with ESPN you had to provide your name, address, and phone number to enter the prize pool. And the possible combinations in that were over 9.2 Quintillion (though one article claimed that is if you picked randomly for every. single. game. which most people don't -- the real odds would be closer to 128 Billion haha).

Even if someone submitted multiple brackets.. and the average per person was 4 brackets (which is extraordinarily generous), then there were still almost 2.8 million people's personal information collected (the fiiiine print stated you agree they can contact you about special deals via phone, text, and/or mail).

That is just how the internet rolls today and it is better to be safe than sorry, I find. Contacting the winners via PM should be sufficient for requesting further information to ship out their prizes. Not that I think Adam is up to nefarious schemes with our datas.. but the less info you provide someone, the better.

---------- Post added 04-08-14 at 08:03 PM ----------

Says any camera.. so it seems if it takes photos, it qualifies! Actually that would be rather remarkable if a cellphone or tablet taken photo wins and they are awarded with the current flagship Pentax K-mount camera.
I will do my best
04-08-2014, 06:09 PM   #52
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Such a kiljoy.

By the way, I didn't mean to be rude or insulting. I only wanted to point out some obvious facts.

I see you are new here.

Welcome to the clubhouse.

Have a beer. On me!

04-08-2014, 06:25 PM   #53
Forum Member

Very cool - I'm in! 😊
04-08-2014, 07:13 PM   #54
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I think I may give it a try
04-08-2014, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #55
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote

Well all I can say is for the contest here an entrant only needs to be a member. So the only information that will be required to enter the contest will be whatever was asked for and given when a member registers here, which, if memory serves, is only your e-mail address.

Should one be fortunate enough to win one of the great contests that Adam has, then all that is asked for is an address to send the prize to. For me, I live in a very rural area, and the post office does not deliver to my home, so I have a PO box. In the February contest I picked up a couple of the daily prizes, and one of the grand prizes. Adam contacted me each time that I won and asked where to send the items. For all he knows I didn't give him my real name, and the PO box could have been rented under a fictitious name. No other information was asked for or given, and I was not compelled to concede to allowing contact for specials deals via phone, text, and/or mail.

I think the difference between this forum and ESPN is the fact that ESPN is a multi-million dollar commercial enterprise and Pentaxforums is an extension of Adam's photography hobby, and I would venture to guess that it operates at a fraction of the annual budget of ESPN.

Now let's get those photos out and ready for the contest!

04-08-2014, 07:42 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just my luck, I need a k3 to take a decent photo, any chance of a loaner
04-08-2014, 08:25 PM   #57
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Imageman Quote
Just my luck, I need a k3 to take a decent photo, any chance of a loaner
You can rent one at that lens rental dot com place I think.
04-08-2014, 08:50 PM   #58

QuoteOriginally posted by Bman Quote
If someone can win an international photo contest, they probably don't need a brand new K-3.
I agree, wish there was more to it like photo and short essay on how a new camera will help better contribute to society in some way. Or contest based partly on those who need such new prizes. I guess that's asking much.
04-08-2014, 09:35 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Expeditioneer Quote
Too bad one is not skilled enough to have a shot at this.
A K-3 had been a great upgrade from my canon 600d in the APS-C class.
There should be a category for self declared average photographers!
04-08-2014, 11:24 PM   #60
Forum Member

but where i need to submit the photo?
here?