Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
04-10-2014, 04:38 AM   #76
Forum Member

So I finally get on this site for the first time (site access isn't very stable where I live) and this is what I see. What a nice surprise!

04-10-2014, 07:47 AM   #77

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
As a follow-up to the successful giveaway we held in February, PentaxForums.com will soon be hosting a full-blown photo contest featuring a Pentax K-3 as the grand prize, courtesy of B&H Photo.

The photo contest will consist of multiple stages, where the first stage will be an open qualification round to determine 64 semi-finalists. We expect the contest to begin in late April, once B&H re-opens after the Passover holiday.

During the first stage of the contest, judges will select up to 48 semi-finalists, while a popular vote will nominate the rest for a total of 64.
There will be very few restrictions during this round:
  • Just submit your best photo, that's it!
  • Can be taken with any camera (non-Pentax is fine)
  • Can be taken at any point in time
  • Any and all post-processing is allowed
  • Must be taken by you
  • Open to members worldwide
I'd like to invite all our members to partake for a chance to win this wonderful camera! 3 runners-up as well as one honorable mention will also receive B&H gift cards.

So, just keep this contest in the back of your head the next time you're out to shoot, or pick a photo from your archives that really stands out. In the first round, it's all about the "wow" factor!

Good luck and stay tuned for more details

If you're unfamiliar with the K-3, don't miss our in-depth review:
Pentax K-3 Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com
«Open to members worldwide»
- Nice, very nice.
04-10-2014, 07:48 AM   #78
Forum Member

Its not clear by the note, but are their multiple rounds in that we will submit multiple photos or is a single photo submitted for the entire contest?
04-10-2014, 08:13 AM   #79

My guess is multiple photos, the first selection is just to judge general skill. I'm curious as to what the rest of the assignments will be! Should be a fun contest to follow, whether you participate or not.

And accepting worldwide entries is awesome.

04-10-2014, 03:44 PM   #80
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
What I read is that you submit one photo only to try and qualify for the First Stage (or round 1). I suppose if you make the cut of 64 semi-finalists you then progress to Second Stage which may be a submission of a new photo (given theme) or maybe still using the same photo??? I guess these are details we will have to wait for
04-10-2014, 09:06 PM   #81

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I'm sure you don't need a K-3 to win. The camera you have is probably up for the job - unless it's broken. I don't see a reason why an *istD shouldn't be able to take a great picture (especially since it won't be judged based on a 4x6 foot print). Hey, even if all you have is a film 35mm that cost you 20 bucks, you should be able to enter and you have a chance. It's all on how good a picture you can take.

Also - You might be able to win with whatever lenses you have, as well. See this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/255879-mont...er-lenses.html

If I don't win it, I won't blame my equipment
Matter of fact, myself and the DS are going to attempt. K-3 would be a most gratifying upgrade!

Also, don't sell yourself short folks! The picture is made by YOU, NOT the camera! As long as you can compose, control your light and focus, and remember to squeeze and not poke, you've probably a decent shot at getting picked.
04-11-2014, 07:08 PM   #82
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SoC1Bar Quote
...and remember to squeeze and not poke...
What does this mean?

04-11-2014, 07:33 PM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
What does this mean?
Unlike what I used to do when I activated the shutter... It is better to gently squeeze the camera button rather than mashing down on it like it's a whack-a-mole game...

It took me more than a year to get used to not doing it with the digital... never did it with the 35mm... Now, I'm trying to teach my 6 year old grand daughter not to do it...
04-11-2014, 08:28 PM   #84

QuoteOriginally posted by dicks Quote
Great event! But... what am I going to do with two K-3s ?
^^Give one to me?

I'll see what I can find to enter.
04-12-2014, 11:00 AM   #85
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by loganross Quote
Its not clear by the note, but are their multiple rounds in that we will submit multiple photos or is a single photo submitted for the entire contest?
QuoteOriginally posted by Lauke_101 Quote
My guess is multiple photos, the first selection is just to judge general skill. I'm curious as to what the rest of the assignments will be! Should be a fun contest to follow, whether you participate or not.

And accepting worldwide entries is awesome.
QuoteOriginally posted by clintox Quote
What I read is that you submit one photo only to try and qualify for the First Stage (or round 1). I suppose if you make the cut of 64 semi-finalists you then progress to Second Stage which may be a submission of a new photo (given theme) or maybe still using the same photo??? I guess these are details we will have to wait for
== Ahem! ==

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
04-12-2014, 04:13 PM   #86

members worldwide, that's great!
04-12-2014, 11:49 PM   #87
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yeah, when does it start?
04-13-2014, 05:56 AM   #88
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobphoenix Quote
Unlike what I used to do when I activated the shutter... It is better to gently squeeze the camera button rather than mashing down on it like it's a whack-a-mole game...

It took me more than a year to get used to not doing it with the digital... never did it with the 35mm... Now, I'm trying to teach my 6 year old grand daughter not to do it...
ohh now it makes sense to me :c )

Please remember to never squeeze nor poke the photographer, however, when they are taking a photograph.
04-13-2014, 08:11 AM   #89
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
Yeah, when does it start?
Here are the answers to your question.

We expect the contest to begin in late April, once B&H re-opens after the Passover holiday.
It'll all be hosted here. The official announcement (later this month) will contain all the submission details.
04-13-2014, 03:57 PM   #90
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
ohh now it makes sense to me :c )

Please remember to never squeeze nor poke the photographer, however, when they are taking a photograph.
It all depends on how (socially/emotionally) close you are to the photographer. If you're really close it might be appreciated but in most cases you might just end up in jail.