Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2014, 05:09 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sounds fun. Any resolution requirements?

04-14-2014, 12:30 AM   #92

QuoteOriginally posted by dicks Quote
Great event! But... what am I going to do with two K-3s ?
Give one as a gift to those who are not so lucky... say... to me?
04-14-2014, 02:53 AM   #93

wonderfull
04-14-2014, 09:44 AM   #94

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dicks Quote
Great event! But... what am I going to do with two K-3s ?

well if you don;t know what to do with two, then I can help you by gladly taking the second K3 as a gift and set you free from your burden It would be more than pleasure to help you out Really, I am very serious, I would be so happy to lay my hands on Pentax K3

04-15-2014, 02:01 PM   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My depressingly pessimistic side tells me this will end up going to an experienced photographer who probably already owns a K3 living in a much more visually interesting place than most of us do.
Hopefully the judges will see past the gorgeous postcard snapshot photos and look for true creativity.

Ideally I would love the contest to be Pentax only and no medium format or pictures taken with a K3 allowed, that would at least help level the field and increase the chances of it going to someone who really needs it.

Some kind of theme would be nice too, its really hard to gauge what is "best" since there are an awful lot of different bests out there.
04-15-2014, 02:15 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Good point. The playing field may not be very level. A pro or someone with a lot more time on their hands can run circles around many of us enthusiasts. Maybe there could be two categories of submission: amateur/enthusiast and semipro/pro. If there are 64 spots then maybe there could be 48 for the amateur/enthusiast category and 16 for the semipro/pro category.

I'm actually OK with leaving the gear requirements wide open. I've seen wonderful shots taken with an iPhone and horrible shots with a DSLR. Each format offers its own challenges and opportunities for creativity. They almost cancel each other out and what's left is the photographer behind the gear and the computer.

I'm so-so on the amount of post processing allowed. While I understand that at least some PP needs to happen to generate crisp images I don't want the content to devolve down to someone using expensive pre-canned effects in their image editor. It could become a contest of credit cards like you would fear with expensive gear except here it its expensive software.

Maybe it's a good to have the judging guidelines published. What would the judges be looking for? Structure? Form? Composition? Shadow/light placement? Where does post processing end and photoshopping begin?
04-15-2014, 03:04 PM   #97
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I personally don't really care too much about winning a K3 (yes I do have one but it's not because of that), I just want to submit my work to see how it goes, see how I compare. The image I will be using for Round one (yep chosen one already) was taken with a Canon 350d, with some light PP I have turned it into something a bit more (didn't go over board) and I feel it's a good image. I think people should just give it a go without thinking about the end goal here. I'm sure there will be so many submissions winning the lottery might be easier lol It's all about creativity people Embrace the competitive spirit and just give it a go

04-16-2014, 01:46 AM   #98

Adam, please show me the way.
04-16-2014, 03:39 AM   #99

How can one submit a photo for the contest?
04-16-2014, 12:21 PM   #100

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
ohh now it makes sense to me :c )

Please remember to never squeeze nor poke the photographer, however, when they are taking a photograph.
Yeah that was a bit ambiguous, sorry. I meant the shutter release, but the same goes for photographers as well =P Much like shooting a gun, the less wiggle you create while shuttering, the more 'accurate' - or in-focus - your shot. Proper stance, elbows in, breathe in, breathe out while squeezing.
04-16-2014, 08:29 PM   #101
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by skyer Quote
How can one submit a photo for the contest?
Read this entire thread from beginning to end, paying close attention to all posts made by a member who goes by the name of Adam.

Then come back and ask that question again.
04-16-2014, 09:44 PM   #102

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Read this entire thread from beginning to end, paying close attention to all posts made by a member who goes by the name of Adam.

Then come back and ask that question again.
Thank you, Racer X 69!
I don't have any questions anymore.
04-16-2014, 09:57 PM   #103
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by skyer Quote
Thank you, Racer X 69!
I don't have any questions anymore.
Well you are welcome!
04-17-2014, 01:33 AM   #104

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Absolutely, though for round 2 you may want to borrow a friend's camera as we will require a 1000px image.
I found out, that to really appreciate a photo, I need to ignore the equipment and manner in which the final picture was made.
04-17-2014, 02:03 AM   #105
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great news