Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2014, 09:25 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
'645 or k-mount' is what I was responding to. They really aren't that much different in area...
Oh, sorry
They aren't that much but it seems the market segmentation, though, is pretty much there.

Question is: will this segmentation disappear or will the current MF market (44x33 with a handful exceptions) move to bigger sensors (645 1.0/1.1x crop). Moving to bigger sensor would maintain this segmentation easier and restore the MF raison d'Ítre.

IMO it will move to bigger sensors. They just moved to CMOS, which as it is, already restores competitiveness of the MF sensors (at the expense of the CCD look some love so much). Now they need to up the size.

Of course in the context of moving to bigger sensors, Leica is screwed (pun intended).

04-20-2014, 09:48 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Oh, sorry
They aren't that much but it seems the market segmentation, though, is pretty much there.

Question is: will this segmentation disappear or will the current MF market (44x33 with a handful exceptions) move to bigger sensors (645 1.0/1.1x crop). Moving to bigger sensor would maintain this segmentation easier and restore the MF raison d'Ítre.

IMO it will move to bigger sensors. They just moved to CMOS, which as it is, already restores competitiveness of the MF sensors (at the expense of the CCD look some love so much). Now they need to up the size.

Of course in the context of moving to bigger sensors, Leica is screwed (pun intended).
Would we rather have a$8.5k 44x33 or a $XX k 51x38? Dunno. Off the cuff I'd say I'd like to see the bigger sensors - right now there isn't enough reason for me to move to the 645Z - but I don't know what the price/performance curve is.

A 51x38 sensor sounds great but if it's $20k I'm not going to buy it.
05-02-2014, 07:20 AM   #48
Veteran Member

There is a puzzling rumor out there, that Sony is going to join the fray and release a MF camera using the same sensor as the Z (and the Hassy and the Phase One) . But the story is that it's going to be mirrorless, and designed sort of like a Mamiya 7! Now how cool is that??? Of course the million dollar question is what mount they would use. Hard to imagine Sony coming out with a third lens mount. Maybe it would come with a choice of lens adapters and no native mount... Or maybe, just maybe, Sony strikes a deal with Ricoh! Oh, wouldn't that be sweet. Of course highly unlikely too. And for that matter I think the whole idea of a Sony MF body is pretty far fetched. But its fun to think about!
05-02-2014, 09:41 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by revdocjim Quote
There is a puzzling rumor out there, that Sony is going to join the fray and release a MF camera using the same sensor as the Z (and the Hassy and the Phase One) . But the story is that it's going to be mirrorless, and designed sort of like a Mamiya 7! Now how cool is that??? Of course the million dollar question is what mount they would use. Hard to imagine Sony coming out with a third lens mount. Maybe it would come with a choice of lens adapters and no native mount... Or maybe, just maybe, Sony strikes a deal with Ricoh! Oh, wouldn't that be sweet. Of course highly unlikely too. And for that matter I think the whole idea of a Sony MF body is pretty far fetched. But its fun to think about!
They also have the FZ mount for CineAlta cameras and more. No problem for them: different lenses for different uses, different mounts. If they want to take advantage of the relative compactness allowed by the absence of mirror box, they need a short flange mount.

As for the probability of a medium format camera under the Sony brand, let's wait and see.

05-02-2014, 10:11 AM   #50
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Now, they need a proper WA Tilt/Shift lens.
There isn't a great choice when it comes to pentax 645D mount in the tilt/shift catagory other than Hartblei 45mm ?
05-02-2014, 12:07 PM   #51
Site Supporter

There is a puzzling rumor out there, that Sony is going to join the fray and release a MF camera using the same sensor as the Z (and the Hassy and the Phase One) .
I thought that rumor started as speculation here?
05-03-2014, 01:15 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I thought that rumor started as speculation here?
Oh! That may be true. I'd be curious to see where. I first encountered it at Sony Alpha Rumors.
05-03-2014, 08:29 AM   #53
Site Supporter

Oh! That may be true. I'd be curious to see where. I first encountered it at Sony Alpha Rumors.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/256...um-format.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/255...at-camera.html

But it looks like maybe they were reading Sonyalpharumors and reposted it here, now that I go back and re-read.