Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-11-2014, 02:49 PM   #16
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Another good step from Ricoh Imaging.

04-11-2014, 03:47 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
These appear to be very low volume, very high cost items for inventory that can significantly degrade such metrics as annual inventory turn, cost of carry, etc. If my compensation were in some way tied to perforamce on these metrics I might be reluctant to order Pentax USA stock them too.
I tend to agree ... I'm not so sure that ignoring the US market was an oversight; it may have been intentional.

Maybe the 645Z is going to be so awesome and dominate the US market that they think this is the right time.
04-11-2014, 05:19 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These appear to be very low volume, very high cost items for inventory that can significantly degrade such metrics as annual inventory turn, cost of carry, etc. If my compensation were in some way tied to perforamce on these metrics I might be reluctant to order Pentax USA stock them too.
While all that is likely true, there is no particular reason those lenses had to be actually stocked in the US was there? Shipping from Japan is days. All you really need is to offer them for sale with delivery of say 7-14 days. If they are so low volume that stocking is impractical at the brick & mortar level then global fulfillment should work. Or am I am totally missing something?
04-11-2014, 05:36 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
While all that is likely true, there is no particular reason those lenses had to be actually stocked in the US was there? Shipping from Japan is days. All you really need is to offer them for sale with delivery of say 7-14 days. If they are so low volume that stocking is impractical at the brick & mortar level then global fulfillment should work. Or am I am totally missing something?
I think this will work when coupled with a good professional program (something like this but better: PENTAX - PENTAX ANNOUNCES PRO PROGRAM: BENEFITS INCLUDE EQUIPMENT LOANS AND EXPEDITED REPAIRS). Pros who need gear Right Now can get it from Ricoh USA while their lens/camera/whatever is shipped from Japan.

04-11-2014, 05:59 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For these prices a test drive may be necessary. Most buyers will come from areas where they can drive to a B&H or one of the brick and mortar stores that actually stocks a 645z and accessories. Prestige stores catering to some customers definitely need some inventory and showpieces. That takes up capital, expertise, warranty services, taxes, etc.
04-11-2014, 08:34 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
For these prices a test drive may be necessary. Most buyers will come from areas where they can drive to a B&H or one of the brick and mortar stores that actually stocks a 645z and accessories. Prestige stores catering to some customers definitely need some inventory and showpieces. That takes up capital, expertise, warranty services, taxes, etc.
And probably requires some support fromPentax.
04-11-2014, 09:16 PM   #22
Veteran Member

If they are afraid to sell their lenses, I'm not sure what the point of manufacturing them would be. Our why they wouldn't be afraid to sell the more expensive d.a. lenses.

04-13-2014, 06:34 PM   #23
Veteran Member

645Z with K mount adapter with auto crop sensor would be nice.��
04-13-2014, 07:53 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

The flange distance for 645 lenses is much greater than the K-mount (to accommodate the larger mirror), so that wouldn't be possible, unless there were a removable adapter, and some other way to swing the mirror up so it wouldn't hit the aperture lever on the back of the K-mount.

I think some folks are still hopeful a future design might be mirrorless and use different length adapters for either 645 or K-mount lenses. However there are some reasons why Pentax might never want to go that route; someone might come up with a 3rd party adapter that would fit 3rd party lenses which would defeat the purpose of selling the 645Z to begin with.
04-13-2014, 08:05 PM   #25
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster

Drop shipping is ok, but there was no way to get warranty on those lenses in the US. Plus, no catalogs listed them.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-14-2014, 06:20 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Dunno. I live in one of the most affluent areas in the country and I have never seen a K-5 in a camera store.

---------- Post added 04-14-14 at 05:20 AM ----------

And probably requires some support fromPentax.
Yup, if it was 'subsidized' it would happen.
04-14-2014, 07:17 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
645Z with K mount adapter with auto crop sensor would be nice.
645z with K mount adapter = Pentax full frame.
04-14-2014, 07:30 AM   #28
Pentaxian

645z with K mount adapter = expensive cropped macro-only system.
04-14-2014, 08:03 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
645z with K mount adapter = expensive cropped macro-only system.
Or expensive cropped, mirror-up, live view-only system (with inner adapter).
04-14-2014, 08:39 AM   #30
Pentaxian

And if used with a 40mm Limited, inner lens