Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 64 Likes Search this Thread
04-15-2014, 01:59 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I'm afraid this is their way of saying: "Now, here's your camera that can shoot your old FF Pentax lenses in FF format."
Except that it can't? Unless you figure out some way to rip out the mirror and mount the FF K-mount lenses somewhere inside the body...

04-15-2014, 02:05 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I see on their site they are advertising its as a medium format and 35mm full frame camera camera..
QuoteOriginally posted by Daikokuya Quote
Looks like expensive in the US. You can buy for $7600 in Japan in the current exchange rates
True. It sounds like a comparison...
but the way they kept mentioning 35mm makes one think, "is there another one coming?"

well that just sounds like every answer they've published so far for interviews whether it's Photokina or CP+!

Last edited by Alizarine; 04-15-2014 at 02:24 AM.
04-15-2014, 04:03 AM - 1 Like   #18
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Ricoh have a '645Z Special Site' setup just to highlight the 645Z.

PENTAX 645Z Special site | RICOH IMAGING

Not as cute as some of the special sites they used to create - eg for the K-x - but some interesting info and extras.

This image from the special site is particularly interesting:

Philosophy and Craftmanship

Ricoh seems to be saying it is doing stuff for the long term, has a consistent vision and isn't discouraged by various ups and downs. Reading between the lines, I think it means one can be sure that a FF is on the way too.
I really like that page, and the three fellows on the top.
They need to be congratulated! Compared to 645Z, everything else — even including its direct MF peers — look like toys. It is uncanny, almost surreal.
An ultimate image making machine on this planet.
04-15-2014, 04:33 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am sick with lust.
I could conceivably afford it, but I can not possibly justify it.

Uluru's comment above is spot on. This is the current pinnacle of ultimate image quality.

04-15-2014, 04:34 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I really like that page, and the three fellows on the top.
They need to be congratulated! Compared to 645Z, everything else — even including its direct MF peers — look like toys. It is uncanny, almost surreal.
An ultimate image making machine on this planet.
It sure does look like a tool for professional, or very serious enthusiasts.. Well made page, I must agree.
04-15-2014, 04:37 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Medium Format Digital Camera and 35mm Full Frame Camera is either a very poor translation or they are claiming it is both formats in one.
04-15-2014, 04:45 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Medium Format Digital Camera and 35mm Full Frame Camera is either a very poor translation or they are claiming it is both formats in one.
well if you go to that page and scroll down and read it you get the meaning... it has both formats in one. and it is 645, which is even better than 35

04-15-2014, 05:29 AM   #23
Banned

Medium Format HD video !

QuoteQuote:
Beautiful, full HD movies and H.264 video

Enhance your video recording experience with full HD movie capture in the H.264 format (1920 x 1080 pixels/60i/30p), also including the ability to switch from still image to video recording with the flip of a dedicated switch. Equipped with a stereo microphone terminal for external microphone connection, the user can also adjust the audio recording level manually and visually monitor sound levels during recording.
Pentax 645Z officially announced: Sony sensor wipes out the MF sensor competition! | sonyalpharumors
04-15-2014, 05:49 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's what I was reading between the lines: "You don't need 35mm because there's something larger." Tells me that Pentax digital 35mm format camera is further away then ever.

Last edited by Clavius; 04-15-2014 at 07:39 AM.
04-15-2014, 06:09 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Great machine, I will never buy one but I find the vision of Ricoh consistent . They dont make camera for hype but for the long term. You can almost be sure a lot of the actual 645D owner will want to switch as this is a major upgrade. Most of them are using it for business and it's easier to justify. And that why some can have one camera instead of 2 because the 645Z can do probably more than 90 % of what an FF do.
04-15-2014, 07:16 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Click the link and read the page. It is very clearly saying MF is better than FF. But, it is also clear that there is some translation issues, and the page title does make you wonder. The text on the page however leaves no doubt.

"The field extended by PENTAX 645Z is the world of [Master] for people who aspire to Medium Format ranked higher than Full-Frame."

"Since PENTAX 645Z is equipped with a large-size sensor, the lens used has a longer focal distance and a larger diameter than the one used for cameras equipped with 35 mm-format sensor. Therefore, when the same scenery is taken by PENTAX 645Z and 35 mm Full-Frame Camera under almost the same conditions and with the same angle of field, PENTAX 645Z having a high resolving power is able to send more information to the sensor. The sensor receiving that high-density information is featured with super high definition of approx. 51,400,000 valid pixels. Coupled with the state-of-the-art image processing, PENTAX 645Z realizes high-definition and stereoscopic depiction far exceeding cameras equipped with 35 mm-format sensor."

Last edited by rangercarp; 04-15-2014 at 07:19 AM. Reason: typos
04-15-2014, 07:32 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They're implying that, while the D800E may be close to the 645D in IQ and resolution, it is no match for the 645z.
04-15-2014, 07:48 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
They're implying that, while the D800E may be close to the 645D in IQ and resolution, it is no match for the 645z.
I think the same.

Cf. their claim ( Medium Format Digital Camera and 35 mm Full-Frame Camera / PENTAX 645Z Special site | RICOH IMAGING ):
QuoteQuote:
Coupled with the state-of-the-art image processing, PENTAX 645Z realizes high-definition and stereoscopic depiction far exceeding cameras equipped with 35 mm-format sensor.
The 645Z surely is a great camera and I expect it to lead DxOScores once tested (I estimate it'll score at 105).

The camera with the world's best image quality is a ... Pentax! Bravo!

Nevertheless, Pentax is exaggerating in their claim and it's something I don't actually like.

The 645Z has a 35mm-equivalent crop of only 0.79. It is a much smaller sensor than the 645 format would suggest and built into a mirrorless camera, it would be rather small, not much bigger than an RX1!

Truth is, a 645Z with F/2.8 lens is outperformed (in light sensitivity) by a full frame with F/2 lens or faster.

Not something I'd call "far exceeding". I assume a D800e/Sigma50/1.4Art vs. 645Z/75/2.8 will be hard to distinguish. Esp. now that they are made from the same silicon and spatial resolution is only 17% apart (only 12% in 3:2).

Last edited by falconeye; 04-15-2014 at 07:57 AM.
04-15-2014, 07:53 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
The 645Z has a 35mm-equivalent crop of only 0.79. It is a much smaller sensor than the 645 format would suggest and built into a mirrorless camera, it would be rather small, not much bigger than an RX1!
At 50MP and the processing required it a mirrorless MF would get about 10 shots on the RX-1 battery and the lenses would break the mount out of the frame! Not to mention processing power and heat (video).
04-15-2014, 07:56 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Onliest thing I don't like is that image stabilization is in lens rather than in body. So either you have to use it with a tripod, or pay more for stabilized lenses.

NaCl(I'm thinking the sensor is too large for in body stabilization)H2O