Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2008, 07:19 PM   #46

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
After reading the pages of distrought diction in the 'Ben's leaving Pentax' thread I ask this to you, the Pentaxians out there, old and new, can WE save Pentax?
The short answer is that only Pentax can save Pentax. If Pentax designs and manufactures a competitive product, then it will not only hold on to existing customers but it will also gain new ones. If its products are me too and/or inferior, then it won't last long in this competitive world of DSLR cameras.

04-26-2008, 07:29 PM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
if im getting this right, you are afraid of pentax losing its 'underdog' status and becoming and acting like canikon, right? I don't really see that happening, even if they do gain a lot of popularity and market share they well always be the smaller company to most people and I really don't think they will ever be on the same level as canikon. I don't see that they need saving personally. if they can make it through the plastic fantastic FA-J period to survive and still remain true to their former and still remaining customer base I think they will do just fine now. the falling out with Ben is something between him and pentax of trance not the entire company so I don't see anything to worry about.
Pentax is a lot like "Canikon" already. In fact, Nikon is becoming more and more like Canon too. The new Pentax and Nikon lenses look very similar to Canon lenses: without aperture rings and many of them have in lens motors. Pentax used to support OTF TTL flash, but it now only supports Preflash TTL, just like "Canikon." Without a full frame model like the D3 or 1DSMKIII, Pentax is of course the "underdog" to "Canikon." And since Sony has a flagship full frame ready for release this fall, Pentax will become an underdog to all of the other 35mm format DSLR camera makers.

As long as Pentax is profitable, it will survive. As long as it can sell every camera it makes, it will be profitable. However, Hoya is an ambitious company, and mere profitability may not be what it is looking for. It is looking for greater profitability, and Pentax may or may not be able to deliver what Hoya wants.
04-26-2008, 07:30 PM   #48
Veteran Member

I think it is always good to pass on sound advice to people around you. I have steered 4 people to Pentax. I also see that there are 4 Pentax Billboards in my area. Ya, love to see them when I am driving around. Makes me think that the push is on.
04-27-2008, 01:19 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anastigmat Quote
The short answer is that only Pentax can save Pentax. If Pentax designs and manufactures a competitive product, then it will not only hold on to existing customers but it will also gain new ones. If its products are me too and/or inferior, then it won't last long in this competitive world of DSLR cameras.
exactly, pentax does what it wants / what it thinks is best, it always has. The entry level / amateur market is what pentax want, it has been for a long time. It is their choice if they wish to change that.

It has never been overly concerned with retaining customers, just with getting new ones. talk to people with slr's more than 10 years and to hear 'I used to have a pentax' is very common. look through dpreview forum in other categories how many ex-pentax people there are. How many people run dual systems. there are dozens of people who used to come here that gave up waiting for pentax to fulfill their needs and moved on.

It may well be that they feel this is most profitable way to be and that all is good and dont need saving

I also think as they are 'essentially' a sensor manufacturer now, they have the capacity to go anywhere from here.

Last edited by philmorley; 04-27-2008 at 02:15 AM.
05-05-2008, 04:21 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Even more so when they see my black t-shirt with an 11 inch Pentax logo on the back.

throw up your paypal address, and start making some!
05-06-2008, 12:39 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 247nino Quote
throw up your paypal address, and start making some!
Cost me $9, shirt included. A friend of mine made it for me. Living in a second-to-third world country does have its advantages.
05-07-2008, 08:17 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I've convinced my BOSS (of all people) to order a K200D after more than 10 years of being an avid supporter of Canon.
I convinced my Brother in law to sell his K100 and buy a Videocamera ...
I bought the K100 for peanuts