Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 53 Likes Search this Thread
04-24-2014, 02:20 PM - 6 Likes   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mourning the Loss of Bruce "Bramela" Stephenson

It is with great sadness that I write about the passing of Bruce "Bramela" Stephenson, who succumbed to his illnesses in hospital last week. After being diagnosed with cancer in November, Bruce responded well to treatment and remained in good spirits together with his wife Pam and his family. Many of you may have seen him posting quite actively on the forum earlier this year, as he was starting to feel better up until his final days.

Bruce joined Pentax Forums in January, 2007, just 4 months after I launched the site. Since then, he had been a valuable contributor and a friend of many forum members. He became a part of our moderation team in March, 2010, and he was a tremendous help to our staff during his tenure. Bruce has always been kind and very cheerful. Photography was his passion; in addition to posting hundreds of photos throughout his time here, he participated in and led photo challenges such as "Single in Month". This very last upload here on the forum was "Old Age", a submission to our February "Trees" photo contest:

Name:  4103811030_fe8af269b5_z.jpg
Views: 4359
Size:  174.9 KB

Stop by his forum profile to see more of his photography:
Bramela - View Profile - PentaxForums.com

Bruce will forever be remembered here on the forum. His name will live on in many ways on the site: I plan to host a special photo challenge in his memory, and you may also see some his family members who have recently taken up photography. Back in November, we also wrote a tribute to Bruce on the PF homepage: Thank you, Bruce Stephenson! - PentaxForums News- Pentax Camera Forums

On Tuesday, Rod "OzzRod" delivered flowers and a card on behalf of all his friends on the forum to Bruce's wife in Australia. Rod adds:

"When I joined the Forum in 2011, I soon noticed Bramela’s avatar popping up in so many threads. It was through the Single in Month Challenges that our virtual friendship developed, as we both noticed each other’s posts of familiar Newcastle landscapes and landmarks, sometimes racing to identify each other’s sites. It turned out that we lived less than a kilometre apart. Bruce’s special love was flowers, not only as a photographer, but also as an enthusiastic home gardener and a regular volunteer at the Hunter Region Botanic Gardens. This prompted donation of a Bromilliad from my garden to his, an “excuse” to meet him, but he wasn’t home when I called. A couple of months later he posted a picture of that bromilliad in flower, acknowledging its source, and so our on-line link continued to flourish, augmented by occasional phone exchanges.

Ironically our first face-to-face meeting occurred only late last year, when he was first being treated for cancer. Bruce’s sincerity, sense of purpose and quiet determination were immediately apparent as he sought to confront and overcome the initially blunt and bleak prognosis. And what a treat to witness first hand the comfort and delight that he and his family experienced from the worldwide deluge of posts in the Flowers for Bruce thread. That support certainly strengthened his resolve and so many were in turn thrilled to see him start posting again this year. Alas, it wasn’t to last, but what a fight he put up. I for one feel privileged to have known Bruce, but oh to have had more time. Rest easy Mate."

I will devote the rest of this thread to personal comments from other forum members who knew Bruce and would like to pay their last respects. May he rest in peace.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-24-2014, 02:30 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Thanks for the sad news, his posts and suggestions to others will live on! Condolences to the family, and hopefully the happy memories will ease their transition.
04-24-2014, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I didn't know Bruce outside of PF, but I considered him a friend. He is a kind soul, I will miss him. My deepest condolences to his family.

One for you, Bruce:

04-24-2014, 02:54 PM   #4
Pentaxian

This is sad news. Bruce will be missed by all of us. I participated in several Single in .....challenges and will always consider him a friend even though we never met in person. His beautiful flower close ups always brightened my days during our long winters. My prayers are with his family.

04-24-2014, 03:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

RIP my friend. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
04-24-2014, 03:17 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My condolences to his family and friends who are mourning his loss, may he always be remembered for the good person that he was.
04-24-2014, 03:22 PM   #7

Please accept my condolences. A sudden and unexpected loss is especially hard.

04-24-2014, 03:22 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Yes, Bram will be missed. I picked up quick a few tricks from him as a newbie. It is because of devoted members like Bram that this forum has flourished.
Rest in peace, our friend. Freddy
04-24-2014, 03:24 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Condolences to the Family. Bruce was a well respected contributor and will be sorely missed here. RIP.
04-24-2014, 03:30 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sending my sincere condolences to his family... Wishing them peace....Regards, David Meyers
04-24-2014, 03:32 PM - 4 Likes   #11
Veteran Member

Gods speed

A nice gesture by Pentax Forums....good form.

I didn't know Bruce either but may his loved ones find comfort in the good times and warm memories of his life here. Now he can dwell in that light and shadow we photographers strive so hard to capture in images, but always fall short in the pursuit of. Gods speed Bruce.
Attached Images

04-24-2014, 03:35 PM   #12
Keebler

My thoughts go out to Bruce's family.

I'm not on PF as much as I'd like, but each time I do, I'm rewarded with friendly advice and a kinship.

It sure sounds like Bruce embodied much of PF is like and also seemed like a gentle soul.

Cheers,
keebler
04-24-2014, 03:42 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What sad news - my heart goes out to his family.

Jer
04-24-2014, 03:42 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bruce was one of the good guys and will be greatly missed. My condolences to his family.
04-24-2014, 03:48 PM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Oh dear what sad news indeed, RIP. My thoughts and prayers are with the family.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 04-24-2014 at 05:08 PM.