Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-26-2014, 09:02 AM   #16
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I wouldn't worry about this list. It seems to be from the BCN Ranking list in Japan. I don't know exactly which shops they survey, but it is less than half and the top selling cameras always seem to be at the cheaper end and often discontinued models. Another thing that works against Pentax in this ranking is that, unlike other rankings, each colour and kit is listed separately. So the K-50's sales are split into four colours (black, white, pink, order colour) and five kits (body, 18-55WR, 18-55+50-200WR, 18-55+55-300, 18-135) meaning a total of 20 kits. If you look at other websites (kakaku.com / yodobashi.com), you'll find the K-3 in a respectable position. It might do better when the price drops below the psychological barrier of 100,000 yen.

But I think it's important to remember that, while Pentax seems to be doing better these days, it is still a minor player in Japan. And I found the same thing as southlander in Kuala Lumpur. Very few Pentax cameras, although I did see a guy with a K-3 and DA20-40mm and I found one shop in a mall with a fair range of Pentax products.

04-26-2014, 09:12 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by afan137 Quote
It is declining, but Pentax K-3 never get lower than 20th position. Check kakaku:
http://kakaku.com/camera/digital-slr-camera/ranking_0049/?lid=shop_pricemenu...ng_button_0049

Currently hold 13th position, with weekly reporting. And the best position I have ever seen was 7th position. I think K-3 is always in a good position.
FYI, I was living in Japan, and Kakaku is always a good reference for looking cheapest product sold by many online shops throughout Japan market.
Is this an actual sales ranking, or a search engine product hit ranking?

M
04-26-2014, 09:21 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Is this an actual sales ranking, or a search engine product hit ranking?

M
There are three tabs above, in the left that I shared the link here, is the marketable good ranking, in the middle is the hot ranking due to internet attention, and the right tab shows the satisfaction ranking.
You can actually google translate it to English, and it will tell you: selling ranking of digital single-lens camera.

Best,

Fan
04-26-2014, 09:48 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Cameras aren't selling

So many great cameras go unsold now that making sense of the numbers seems impossible. Almost every camera at the local stores is heavily discounted and yet there they sit.

04-26-2014, 10:20 AM   #20
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just a personal sampling in answer to this question. I am currently in central Miami attending a conference. I went for a walk around midday and walked into Electric Avenue on Flagler Street - who also do on-line sales, and in their window claim to match Adorama and B&H. They had some good visible Pentax displays, so even better.

Fantastic I thought, I am in the market for a K5IIs or K3 - lets see what they can do?

They would love to sell me a camera I was told, but there has been a big run on the top end Pentax DSLR's lately, and they were out of stock. They had a K3 display model, but nothing else. A large number of Pentax Q's and K500's in all colours on display, but no K5's or K3's available.

I am in New York later in the week, so I am sure I will buy one there.

Interesting comment I thought about the top Pentax K bodies - in Miami at least, they seem to be selling well.
04-26-2014, 10:28 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
OK, there's a list with a bad ranking: the product not sold at all.

Is there any logic at all?

No wonder is Pentax is doomed.
04-26-2014, 11:15 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax apparently sells OK in Canada, except the Q, which is a dog according to my sources.

04-26-2014, 12:18 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Wrong URL, start from: Amazon.co.jp
(it's on #78 now... those rankings can vary wildly within hours)
04-26-2014, 01:01 PM   #24
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Pentax apparently sells OK in Canada, except the Q, which is a dog according to my sources.
I have a Q - it is a fun little camera, and a good supplement to a K-series DSLR, especially if you have adaptors. At the original price - no way, at the price they sell at now on the PF Marketplace you should give one a try. You might be pleasantly surprised. The interface is the same as the K DSLR's so very easy to learn and use.
04-26-2014, 02:18 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
\I saw two Pentax Q7s in Quebec only today. Oh wait.... they were my own!
04-26-2014, 06:12 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Guy,
Pentax is #4 or 5 in DSLR . Dont expect them to be on the top 50
Canon and Nikon do have about 50 models and they own about 60-70% of the market and more.
04-26-2014, 06:28 PM   #27
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Fuji has the hottest camera out there the X-T1, they can't even fill the back orders for weeks.....yet it is not even on the list. I wouldn't give much serious regard to this list. The K3 seems to be doing very well from what I see here and at other sites, but it is a Pentax and is not going to match a mainstream Canon or Nikon in sales. No need to start your plans for the demise of Pentax...for the 1,000th time...it's not happening this time either!

Regards!
04-26-2014, 08:59 PM   #28
Banned

K-3 is selling better than expected for Pentax (I mean, Ricoh Imaging). 645Z news is creating quite a stir too.
I expect a good second half of the year, with some sweet bonbons coming out as well.
04-26-2014, 11:40 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
K-3 is selling better than expected for Pentax (I mean, Ricoh Imaging).
Do you know this or is this speculation?
04-27-2014, 01:11 AM   #30
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
Do you know this or is this speculation?
Not a speculation. RI had very conservative numbers planned (remember, they are always conservative), but it seems demand was stronger than anticipated. I think that is good.
And now with the 645Z on the horizon, the team should be congratulated indeed.