Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2008, 11:26 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow wow and wow, that's very nice, Ben.
I almost couldn't believe that is no PP at all.
Now I understand the difference between amateur and Pro.
I always thought that kind of shots must have been retouched.
So controlled lighting is the key. I remember one time I read a book that mentioned
Photography = Painting With Light.
Now I can imagine your lighting must be like the paint that you choose and not just any paint.

Please share with us, Ben.
Maybe with that video footage that you mentioned, we can learn a little bit on how to become a pro.

Thanks again,

04-25-2008, 12:59 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Great stuff Ben! Not that I would have expected anything less from you!

I've done my first steps in the studio shooting for a few photography class assignments and found out it requires a special talent to work with a model. Of course I only had access to first time models (mostly friends posing to do me a favour). These generally are too reserved to go for the poses that really catch the eye unfortunately. I would love to work with a professional model one of these days...

The lights look interesting and I am coming to term with that aspect of studio work, but the dynamics of a scene is sth else. Focussing on the technical aspect is currently still too distracting to me... Which is fine if still life work is concerned, but not for models... And the fact that for some assignment we need to use a technical camera doesn't help either...

BTW, did you use ventilators to produce the wind?

Oh, if ever you decide to do a workshop for a limited group of learning photographers I will certainly want to know and try to participate.

Tx!!

Wim
04-25-2008, 01:04 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Great stuff Ben! Not that I would have expected anything less from you!

I've done my first steps in the studio shooting for a few photography class assignments and found out it requires a special talent to work with a model. Of course I only had access to first time models (mostly friends posing to do me a favour). These generally are too reserved to go for the poses that really catch the eye unfortunately. I would love to work with a professional model one of these days...

The lights look interesting and I am coming to term with that aspect of studio work, but the dynamics of a scene is sth else. Focussing on the technical aspect is currently still too distracting to me... Which is fine if still life work is concerned, but not for models... And the fact that for some assignment we need to use a technical camera doesn't help either...

BTW, did you use ventilators to produce the wind?

Oh, if ever you decide to do a workshop for a limited group of learning photographers I will certainly want to know and try to participate.

Tx!!

Wim
Hi Wim...We used 3 Fans. I had 5 assistants on the shoot, three of which used directional tube fans plus the Hair stylist using a huge panel to push air towards the model. I would scream "GO" and he would take a huge downward swing and push the air in the direction of her hair. Crazy production.

Ben
04-25-2008, 03:09 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Hi Wim...We used 3 Fans. I had 5 assistants on the shoot, three of which used directional tube fans plus the Hair stylist using a huge panel to push air towards the model. I would scream "GO" and he would take a huge downward swing and push the air in the direction of her hair. Crazy production.

Ben
That must have been an impressive enterprise indeed! I expect the studio was warm enough with all the lights burning for the model not to catch a cold with all that wind? Over a 1000 shots you said? Not an easy job, modelling those next to nothing clothes...

Wim

04-25-2008, 04:02 AM   #35
Veteran Member

awesome stuff Ben !
04-25-2008, 02:55 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Another Sample

Here is another sample...NOT Retouched.

Ben

Link:

User Photo Gallery - Miscellaneous
Attached Images

04-25-2008, 04:01 PM   #37

Man, I love your shots! Great work as always.

04-25-2008, 07:47 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Eh, I dunno Ben... looks like you shot this with a pin hole camera...

Great lighting BTW, amazingly brilliant as always.

Oh, just so you know some guy came to the camera store gloating about the $3000 he spent at Calumet to take a class hosted by a "TOP" fashion photog... I showed him your site and these were his exact words:

"Holy crap... this guy is friggin awesome!" I then asked how it compared to the guy he is going to learn from next month... "Ummm, I'm getting my money back"

They use "TOP end fashion photographer" way too loosely in the states.

Hey Ben, wanna come to the states and get paid $3000 a head shoot in front of a crowd?
04-25-2008, 09:00 PM   #39

Still not sure Ben if it is the dramatic lighting or the HOT chicks in the pics hehehe

PK
04-26-2008, 03:24 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Eh, I dunno Ben... looks like you shot this with a pin hole camera...

Great lighting BTW, amazingly brilliant as always.

Oh, just so you know some guy came to the camera store gloating about the $3000 he spent at Calumet to take a class hosted by a "TOP" fashion photog... I showed him your site and these were his exact words:

"Holy crap... this guy is friggin awesome!" I then asked how it compared to the guy he is going to learn from next month... "Ummm, I'm getting my money back"

They use "TOP end fashion photographer" way too loosely in the states.

Hey Ben, wanna come to the states and get paid $3000 a head shoot in front of a crowd?

If they want to guarantee a minimum of 30,000, dollars for 10 students, I will do it and give you 10 percent for getting the gig...Seriously. If it is 20, I want 60,000 etc.

Ben

PS..They pay my ticket and hotel.
04-27-2008, 08:00 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Another RAW Sample

Another RAW Sample. Shot with the 40mm Limited.

Link:

Attached Images

04-28-2008, 02:19 AM   #42

Hi Ben,
Great photographs (although this last model looks like she is about to die due to malnutrition...)

One question about your photographic technique: when you have all your assistants perfectly directing the light and the wind to make the perfect photograph do you fire off a burst of images or do you only trip the shutter once at just the right moment?

I don't want to turn this thread into yet another "Pentax needs more fps flame-war" (after all, how many people take fashion photographs using wind-effects?), but would having 10 fps have helped you in this particular photo-shoot? Could that have made it easier to capture just the right moment given the moving fabric?
04-28-2008, 02:45 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jms698 Quote
Hi Ben,
Great photographs (although this last model looks like she is about to die due to malnutrition...)

One question about your photographic technique: when you have all your assistants perfectly directing the light and the wind to make the perfect photograph do you fire off a burst of images or do you only trip the shutter once at just the right moment?

I don't want to turn this thread into yet another "Pentax needs more fps flame-war" (after all, how many people take fashion photographs using wind-effects?), but would having 10 fps have helped you in this particular photo-shoot? Could that have made it easier to capture just the right moment given the moving fabric?
When in the studio I only use Single Shot Mode as the recycling time of the Flash units at the output used is about 1.2 FPS maximum.

Ben
04-28-2008, 08:39 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Another Sample

Link:

Attached Images

04-28-2008, 01:54 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I will post under a new Topic "Spring Retouched" shortly. You will see major differences. Before and After.

Ben