Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
05-07-2014, 03:43 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Apple and Leica stores succeed because they are iconic brands to start with same with Coach, Hermes, and even Sony.

Pentax is not.
Pentax is what not?

Seriously? ... Thinking.... Take a good look:

But despite the fact that it is indeed iconic, the PENTAX brand could really use more ADVERTISING and a FF with a fat 28-200 wr kit lens, 2 real good WR Zooms like a 28-70 at f:2.8 and a 70-200 at f:2.8...
and for those lenses they should offer switchable SDM AND Screwdrive AF...

And yes a Store... and there should be also cooperations with other companies that offer outdoor related products and outdoor activities...

Attached Images

05-07-2014, 04:40 PM   #17
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax *IS* iconic brand. If Ricoh opens several "Ricoh Imaging" stores, it will all crumble down to dust because that would be corporate ego-nonsense with no emotional dimension attached to it. No memories of the name, no immediate "aha!" sensation in minds of many. No value in it.

But if they open several "Pentax" stores, then the name will jingle and awake many good memories. It may even work then.

How iconic is Pentax? Unlike Apple’s advertising of The Beatles albums on iTunes for the sake of iTunes and for the sake of Steve Jobs’ love for their music, Apple has nothing with The Beatles apart from legal battle with recording company. But Pentax has more intimate relationship with them — The Beatles actually LOVED Pentax.

We live in times when new names mean little, we already expect them to disappear next day, and old ones are easily purchased. But not from inside of our memories — that reality cannot be easily altered and that is why users whinge.

We all know many iconic brands are impulsively bought with financial capital only to be milked out of remaining good values they represent, and then, in the act two of the corporate comedy, the aim is “to give them new life with our cool new stuff” — but with an opposite emotional dimension to it.

So in wake of globally bad news in that area of business reality, which is more a continuos nightmare, Ricoh should be more careful and thread carefully. So far they’ve been loudly clumsy, and quite naively ignorant. Yet they have not done as much damage as they could have — or maybe they are preparing for the act two of the comedy right now? Thus far, though, I give them neither thumbs up nor thumbs down.

Last edited by Uluru; 05-07-2014 at 04:52 PM.
05-08-2014, 09:07 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
there should be also cooperations with other companies that offer outdoor related products and outdoor activities...
Right on! I do not understand why Pentax does not market to the outdoor enthusiast demographic. It is a match made in heaven! Pentax needs to be advertising in outdoor sport magazines (Outside, Nat'l geo adventure, Backpacker, climbing, Rock & Ice, Outdoor Photographer, etc) I have yet to see a Pentax ad in one of these magazines...

Partnering with an outdoor gear company or retailer would be great as well. I can imagine walking into REI and seeing an "Adventure Proof" Pentax display.
05-08-2014, 10:48 PM   #19
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
Right on! I do not understand why Pentax does not market to the outdoor enthusiast demographic. It is a match made in heaven! Pentax needs to be advertising in outdoor sport magazines (Outside, Nat'l geo adventure, Backpacker, climbing, Rock & Ice, Outdoor Photographer, etc) I have yet to see a Pentax ad in one of these magazines...

Partnering with an outdoor gear company or retailer would be great as well. I can imagine walking into REI and seeing an "Adventure Proof" Pentax display.
They did try to do some work, but is all random and sporadic. No persistence, which indicates no dedicated effort and no clear goal.
It is all a kindergarten approach to marketing.

05-09-2014, 04:34 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
No persistence, which indicates no dedicated effort and no clear goal. It is all a kindergarten approach to marketing.
Such a shame! Pentax caters to the outdoor enthusiast demographic. Why on earth don't they market to it? It is of course a niche, but a niche that Pentax SHOULD be number one in.
05-09-2014, 04:40 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
Why on earth don't they market to it? .
Because they could actually have success. And that means more cameras to build, new factories, new workers... until they keep selling all the cameras they build, they seems to be perfectly happy.
05-09-2014, 03:15 PM   #22
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
Because they could actually have success. And that means more cameras to build, new factories, new workers... until they keep selling all the cameras they build, they seems to be perfectly happy.
That what you stated is, unfortunately, quite possible.

05-10-2014, 06:55 AM   #23

Well, .... that went OT fast ...
I took a look at the site and even watched one of the macro tutorials there. Was quite interesting. What I didn't like was, that I could not take a look at the forums there without registering beforehand.
Going to check it from time to time now for the workshops.
05-10-2014, 09:09 AM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Stores are so history
Its a catch 22. I don't like to lay out a major purchase on something sight unseen. Even BH and Adorama have major storefronts.
05-10-2014, 11:27 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Its a catch 22. I don't like to lay out a major purchase on something sight unseen. Even BH and Adorama have major storefronts.
I agree that having a chance to test some new stuff in a shop is giving much more confidence before shopping. I am even so "old fashioned" I actually buy in shops, not just testing and later buy online to safe a few Euros.
And yes, it is very good to see Pentax equipment in more stores lately. But I am sure that some "dedicated Pentax only" stores would be a failure. The market volume is just not there.
In no way you can compare Pentax with Apple, for example.
05-10-2014, 06:06 PM   #26
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

delegopa is right. This has gone OT. The Pentax Akadamie is another Forum, but it packages the information a little differently. The same kind of thing is here, but it is more a case of having to search for it. That is because the Forums are primarily a place for users (and a very nice social space) but is less user friendly for someone who is maybe making decisions about which camera system to go with. With Pentax Akadamie the pretty pictures up front say "come and learn how" with the subtext of "you can do this with a Pentax".
In the end, a user driven "Academy" could pressure Ricoh-Pentax into engaging more with owners on how they should market and who they market to. After all we, as Pentax owners, like engaging with people broadly similar to ourselves. So we could do much worse that recruit new Pentax owners who we share common interests with. The Pentax Akadamie looks like a good recruitment tool.
Here is a rough idea : Say we had a "Pentax Academy - Australia" (or anywhere else). The "Academy" could sit in front of the Forums. The pretty pictures would all be up there - landscape, wildlife, birding specific, macro, Pentax cameras, etc, etc. (using older lenses could be a good one) We should have enough people to drive it.
Anyway, the boss is calling me now, so I have to run. Anyone interested after thinking it over, start a new thread.
Pete