Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2008, 10:06 AM   #16
Veteran Member

bravo, peter, you made the already cheap price of walmart even lower, thereby increasing what you strive to stop from happening, by boycotting them!

also, you said the correct price was marked on the rear reflector, right? who's to say that someone didn't just attach the wrong price on the front, since it was double-tagged, and that they just weren't trying to pull a fast one, and, in fact, you bullied them into giving it to them for a price that would cost them?

really, think about that for a minute.

04-27-2008, 10:25 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Before we all go nuts, this is about visability, Pentax needs that and having their cameras at wallyworld next to nikons is needed for just that.
04-27-2008, 10:27 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nels Quote
Just checked Walmart.com and they list only the K10D and K200D as the only two cameras available. Maybe Pentax is not ready to release the K20D till sales fall off a little, Just a thought. I do not mind shopping at Walmart and find their price matching a nice benefit and the liberal return policy is pretty decent as well. I see a lot union emplyees shopping at walmart with me and they enjoy the lower pricing on different items as well. I see shopping at walmart as being wise with my money as I am not too "upity" to save a buck. And in conclusion, at least walmart still allows the Salvation Army bell ringers at Christmas time so all the welfare recipients that shop there can donate their money to less fortunate than them. JMTCW.
Very interesting. It has been pulled since I posted. It was listed as a kit with the 18-55 for $1349.00. Some one from Pentax probably saw my post and had them pull it.

VR
Darryl

Last edited by fwbigd; 04-27-2008 at 10:39 AM.
04-27-2008, 10:39 AM   #19
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OniFactor Quote
bravo, peter, you made the already cheap price of walmart even lower, thereby increasing what you strive to stop from happening, by boycotting them!

also, you said the correct price was marked on the rear reflector, right? who's to say that someone didn't just attach the wrong price on the front, since it was double-tagged, and that they just weren't trying to pull a fast one, and, in fact, you bullied them into giving it to them for a price that would cost them?

really, think about that for a minute.
Well I highly doubt it. The bike was on a rack that was 12 feet off the floor. It was a spring promo and all the bikes had similar tags but this one was clearly for another model. The margins in this category are around 20%, so I know they lost money on the deal. They changed the tags right after I got the bike.

Anyway we're getting away from the point of the thread. It's an upscale model (K20D) and although Walmart will give them a higher profile, is it the right profile? Say what you will but Walmart is a discount retailer. It's not a place where marquis brands are normally profiled.

04-27-2008, 11:34 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
I begs to differ. I AM NOT WELFARE CITY. And even if I was and even if WM is welfare city not everyone on this earth of ours is equal. You, unfortunately, have not taken into consideration people's fate or mis/fortunes.

Personally, I think it is a good move as it brings the Pentax name back to the fore to the commoner, like it was in the 60s and 70s. Pentax is returning to their roots.

And BTW, not everything at WM is cheap. It is more affordable buy using their buying power.

End of rant
Sorry to ruffle your feathers JCSullivan, not my intention to make anybody feel bad, or fuel the cast system. The Walmart in my city is very low end, dirty, and filled with low end merchandise that I would not want anybody to fall victim to. When the Walmart store opened a lot of good family priced clothing stores closed down as they could not compete (slightly due to buying power, mostly due to Walmart selling subgrade clothing). While I do like opportunities for Pentax to gain exposure..... what is the old saying "if you lie with dogs, you get fleas" I can think of no dirtier, filthier, flea infested, dog, than Walmart
04-27-2008, 01:20 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ennacac Quote
I find it hard to believe that people will buy a $1,300 camera at Walmart, at least in the stores. If I am looking at a camera that expensive, Walmart is the last place I would look.

Tom
Pentax DSLRs are most definately an "online only" item for Wally World.
04-27-2008, 10:15 PM   #22
Damn Brit

I urge anyone who hasn't seen it to rent the movie 'Idiocracy', it's a comedy. It's not that good but it's a good scenario for what Walmart is doing to this world (along with governments and their education policies). Walmart is destroying towns and communities. If they have their way there will be NO other stores than Walmart. I read somewhere a while ago that if Walmart were a country, they'd rank 5th in the world for exporting goods from China (they're probably third or fourth by now).

Last edited by Damn Brit; 04-27-2008 at 10:25 PM.
04-28-2008, 05:34 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is little difference in buying from Walmart or B&H, or Adorama, etc. They all use their big buying power to put others out of business. Soon there won't be any small dealers. There may not be any brick & mortar after the internet gets done.
thanks
barondla
04-28-2008, 05:41 AM   #24

I dislike walmart as much or more than anyone on the planet. I do however have a problem with people "blaming" walmart for one thing or another i.e. putting the small guy out of business etc. The problem is not so much walmart as it is the consumer. Consumers are the ones who helped walmart gain its status and they will be the ones to eventually suffer. BTW how many of you who refuse to shop at walmart will shop at home depot or lowes or costco ?(you get my point) it is the same thing.

I will probably catch a lot of flak for this but that story about the brain damaged woman -- It is heart wrenching and all that but if you look at all the facts, walmart's original position was correct albeit harsh and emotionless. Like it or not those were the terms of her employment and she agreed to them.

[rest of post deleted -- I was starting to rant -- sorry]
04-28-2008, 06:00 AM   #25
Veteran Member

WM reversed it's decission
04-28-2008, 06:14 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BeerCan Quote
I dislike walmart as much or more than anyone on the planet. I do however have a problem with people "blaming" walmart for one thing or another i.e. putting the small guy out of business etc. The problem is not so much walmart as it is the consumer.

In my hometown, there was a fight when Wal Mart was given advantages that weren't available to the local business owners, like installing turn lanes and stop lights so that there was easy access to the Wal Mart parking lot.
04-28-2008, 06:50 AM   #27

I agree

QuoteOriginally posted by ennacac Quote
I find it hard to believe that people will buy a $1,300 camera at Walmart, at least in the stores. If I am looking at a camera that expensive, Walmart is the last place I would look.

Tom
I'm a Wal-Mart shopper (except for the meat - too watery ). But anyway, I agree with this thought. When I drop that kind of money on a camera I'm going somewhere where there is support.
04-28-2008, 01:56 PM   #28
Veteran Member

If you're going to boycott Wal-Mart, don't forget Toys-R-Us, Babies-R-Us, and Bed Bath & Beyond. All are Wal-Mart owned. I don't have a problem with Wal-Mart at all because unfortunately, we live in a time where gas prices are going to top $4 a gallon very quickly, and that's roughly $20-25 more per fill up than it was just a few weeks ago. Any time we can cut the consumer a "break," I'm for it.

Not to poke the piranha, but how would Wal-Mart not support the customer if there's a problem with the merchandise? Has anyone ever had any trouble returning anything? It's not like they're going out of business any time soon.
04-28-2008, 02:31 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
In my hometown, there was a fight when Wal Mart was given advantages that weren't available to the local business owners, like installing turn lanes and stop lights so that there was easy access to the Wal Mart parking lot.
do any local businesses own the same area of land, and command the same amount of consumers? i doubt you'll need a dedicated turn lane to get into your local Ma & Pa grocer's store parking lot, because, 1, i doubt the lot they're on will command the same area, and have as few entrances as a walmart parking lot, or even a mall parking lot, for that matter. 2, i also doubt that the smaller store will get the same volume of traffic into their lot.

there are more 'local' chain stores that get the same amenities, such as Kroger's, Wegman's, Food Lion, the more 'regional' chains. it all has to do with volume, though.
04-28-2008, 04:04 PM   #30
Inactive Account

OniFactor - you are definitely a WalMart ambassador! I can't help but notice that you are very quick to jump to their defense. It may seem irrational and incomprehensible to you but I will never 'come to the dark side' and shop there regardless of your sound reasoning. Yes, I also shop at other big-box stores; I just won't shop there for reasons mentioned earlier, that's all. I know lots of people that shop there and can be friends with them in spite of their obvious character flaw. (That's just a joke - relax. )

I mentioned it here because someone asked for our opinions. Now I'll just shut my pie hole and let you carry on about how great they are.