Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2008, 10:09 PM   #31
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Walmart is evil

wow, what a hornet's nest this thread has dug up!! We all still love Pentax don't we?? BTW, I am more of a Target shoper I like their popcorn better

As far as Pentax is concerned, I think it is a good move to get items seen where the masses go to shop. There may be lots of people here that don't like to shop at Walmart. However, if you look at annual worldwide sales, you and I are in the minority. Plus, those that might buy and like an entry level Optio p&s will one day maybe upgrade in the family.

cheers

04-29-2008, 02:19 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fwbigd Quote
Now that you can buy a K20D at Walmart.com, and Pentax has let most or all of their US sales reps go, I was wondering what the future hold. Is this the end or a new beginning? Any predictions?

VR
Darryl

Where did you hear that they have let their sales reps go? Do you have a link?
04-29-2008, 03:01 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
Got it from my local camera store. Their rep called them on the 31st of March and told them. It had been mentioned previously in this forum. It was interesting to note that within a day of my original post that you can no longer by a K20d at walmart.com

VR
Darryl
04-29-2008, 03:36 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Ned said it in an interview, can't remember where. Talked to my local store today and it was confirmed.

04-30-2008, 03:58 PM   #35
Veteran Member

I'm SO glad I live in Europe. I have never seen a Walmart store yet, and I couldn't be happier.
05-01-2008, 08:49 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I'm SO glad I live in Europe. I have never seen a Walmart store yet, and I couldn't be happier.
Keep your lips sealed.

We had a big Walmart opening here in Munich a couple of years ago. Somehow people didn't like it and it did fail miserably, though...
05-01-2008, 10:06 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Keep your lips sealed.

We had a big Walmart opening here in Munich a couple of years ago. Somehow people didn't like it and it did fail miserably, though...
That's because Europeans (at least in German ones) are more discerning and conservative. There's enough Metro, Penny Market, Cora, Carrefour etc. Why have more of the same?

05-01-2008, 01:11 PM   #38
Damn Brit

Walmart is big in Britain, they bought a supermarket chain called ASDA. They're operating the same way, just under a different name. The ironic thing is, ASDA started out as a farmers cooperative to sell their produce.
05-05-2008, 05:05 PM   #39
JMS

I can confirm this. I work at a shop, and, indeed, we lost our rep. Still waiting for Pentax to give us a new one.
05-07-2008, 05:53 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The reps are gone, thats for sure. Tried to place an order recently and was told it would have to be faxed or emailed to them. It was like 6 items. Couldn't be bothered with it over the phone. This required more time to prepare "correctly". Not a fan of this change at all.
thanks
barondla
05-07-2008, 06:35 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
The reps are gone, thats for sure. Tried to place an order recently and was told it would have to be faxed or emailed to them. It was like 6 items. Couldn't be bothered with it over the phone. This required more time to prepare "correctly". Not a fan of this change at all.
thanks
barondla
I rep 9 different companies and the day has passed that phone orders are accepted. Any well run operation needs a paper trail on all orders. You need it also.
05-07-2008, 07:14 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
thanks
barondla
I am an end user and had to fax information somewhere in Raliegh, NC for an extended warranty. My guess this is for paper tracking more than anything else.

Reading from different statements from Pentax, is that they are restructuring their sales force. From what it sounds like Pentax's salesforce was P&L region based. Now it sounds like they are switching to a market based sales model. Teams of people who will work different market segments; Big Box retail, Online retail, distribution etc etc etc. The addition of Walmart is just the first of these sales initiatives from these teams. Target online already carries Sigma lenses for Pentax bodies so we may see Target carry some items in the future as well.

For me it would make sense to make a dual lens kit and sell at warehouse stores like Costco since their members usually have a bit of disposable income available and their mindset is that buying at that store means they are getting more value for their dollar. Go into a Costco and you will see a D60 + 18-55VR + 55-200VR for about $900. I would think that if you had a Pentax Bix Box Retail rep at a store selling a comparable kit (K10D or K100DS) for at least $700-$750 they would be able to sway a few people away from the Nikon kit. Get them in the store just before summer starts when families are looking to go on vacation and try to capture some sales from people looking to upgrade from their P&S.
05-07-2008, 07:24 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I don't think sales reps make much difference for Pentax. Most people on the Forum seem to do their research and know what they want before they buy. Especially when you have excellent websites like this to help you decide.
I would be interested to know how many people have issues about buying from Walmart.
I don't think the target market are the readers of this, or any similar discussion group. Rather, it's the plebian masses that gravitate to whatever the store clerk pushes at them ...usually a Cannon because at this point their marketing is geared that way.

I know that Canon took a group of Future Shop employees (from the camera dept.) from across Canada, flew them to Toronto, put them through a two day seminar on how great a camera the Rebel is ...gave each participant one for their own usage and sent them home. Now what do you think those folks are going to push on the uninformed masses?

Cheers, Mike.
05-08-2008, 05:51 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Never said I didn't have it written down on paper. What I had to do was make it all pretty and hook up the darn fax machine to send it. That delayed the order a day. We are now 3 days later and still don't have confirmation that they got the order. So now I have to call and see what is going on. PIA. Order from many companies over the phone. Pentax is the only one to tell me in writing or else. Starting to get more like C everyday.
Its funny as a consumer I can call a big place like B&H photo, Adorama, Dell, etc and place an order over the phone. Any time you put more road blocks between the company and the buyer you will sell LESS! Very basic marketing.
thanks
barondla
07-16-2008, 05:17 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Interesting - Animated Growth of Walmart Across America

Animated Growth of Walmart Across America

Watching the Growth of Walmart Across America