Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2008, 06:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax and Walmart.com

Now that you can buy a K20D at Walmart.com, and Pentax has let most or all of their US sales reps go, I was wondering what the future hold. Is this the end or a new beginning? Any predictions?

VR
Darryl

04-26-2008, 06:42 PM   #2
Damn Brit

I don't think sales reps make much difference for Pentax. Most people on the Forum seem to do their research and know what they want before they buy. Especially when you have excellent websites like this to help you decide.
I would be interested to know how many people have issues about buying from Walmart.
04-26-2008, 07:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Anything associated with Walmart instantly make me think of cheap low end crap. Bad move by Pentax. Perhaps the Walmoart stores might be different in the USA, but here in Canada they are Welfare city. I guess with most of the smaller camera shops disappearing, it might be tough to find stores to sell camera in these days.
04-26-2008, 08:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Walmart has sold Pentax for a while now (before the Hoya takeover). They used to have K10Ds on the website too. Easy to sell against because they sold them for map and people had to order them. People just go down the street to a (smaller) stocking store and buy them.
thanks
barondla

04-26-2008, 08:23 PM   #5

They have Nikon DSLRs also, but sold out of the D300. I saw a floor display of Nikons at their Sams Club store just the other day.
04-26-2008, 09:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I think the local sales reps played a significant role. It was their job to convince local stores to stock pentax and also train the employees as to the benefits of pentax equipment. When I worked for Ritz, the local Pentax rep usually gave us a training before the holiday season, teaching us all about the pentax cameras and their features/benefits. For a lot of salespeople, this was basically the only time the found out about new stuff. If the employee liked Nikon, they knew nikon, sold nikon, and didn't sell anything else because they didn't know jack diddely about it.

I personally knew the local Pentax rep and was sad to here that he'd been let go. On the other hand, Walmart DOES provide a lot of volume for Pentax...
04-27-2008, 12:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Sales reps are being hit pretty hard in many industries in the U.S., as corporations continue to pare away at workforce costs. Damn shame, as how are newbie retail clerks going to learn about product features and making meaningful comparisons that are actually useful to customers? I agree with Clawhammer's first paragraph.

As a former union local vice president and organizer, I don't personally set foot in Wal-Marts, and I ask my friends to find other retailers that treat their employees more decently.
04-27-2008, 04:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by spyglass Quote
Anything associated with Walmart instantly make me think of cheap low end crap. Bad move by Pentax. Perhaps the Walmoart stores might be different in the USA, but here in Canada they are Welfare city. I guess with most of the smaller camera shops disappearing, it might be tough to find stores to sell camera in these days.
I begs to differ. I AM NOT WELFARE CITY. And even if I was and even if WM is welfare city not everyone on this earth of ours is equal. You, unfortunately, have not taken into consideration people's fate or mis/fortunes.

Personally, I think it is a good move as it brings the Pentax name back to the fore to the commoner, like it was in the 60s and 70s. Pentax is returning to their roots.

And BTW, not everything at WM is cheap. It is more affordable buy using their buying power.

End of rant

04-27-2008, 04:55 AM   #9

I find it hard to believe that people will buy a $1,300 camera at Walmart, at least in the stores. If I am looking at a camera that expensive, Walmart is the last place I would look.

Tom
04-27-2008, 05:05 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ennacac Quote
I find it hard to believe that people will buy a $1,300 camera at Walmart, at least in the stores. If I am looking at a camera that expensive, Walmart is the last place I would look.

Tom
As much as I dislike Wally world and as much as I like getting a good price on my camera equipment, If they had the best price then I would not wait to buy from them. I have noticed in the warranty and rebates pentax offers if Wal-mart was the place of purchase then you may not get the rebate. On the warranty side it would be their extended store warranty I would stay away from. (not worth the paper it's printed on.
04-27-2008, 06:42 AM   #11

Tom

I wonder if some of the folks who are to uppity to be seen shopping at Walmart wouldn't, in the anonymity of the internet, turn over their credit card number to Broadway Photo for one hell of a smart bargain!
04-27-2008, 07:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member

it may drive the price down faster. and i hate to say it BUT if it makes it more afodble so be it lets say WM sela the K20D for 100$ less than B&H that will forse B&H to drop theres to compeet and we win becuse we pay less.
04-27-2008, 07:31 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by fwbigd Quote
Now that you can buy a K20D at Walmart.com,

VR
Darryl

Just checked Walmart.com and they list only the K10D and K200D as the only two cameras available. Maybe Pentax is not ready to release the K20D till sales fall off a little, Just a thought. I do not mind shopping at Walmart and find their price matching a nice benefit and the liberal return policy is pretty decent as well. I see a lot union emplyees shopping at walmart with me and they enjoy the lower pricing on different items as well. I see shopping at walmart as being wise with my money as I am not too "upity" to save a buck. And in conclusion, at least walmart still allows the Salvation Army bell ringers at Christmas time so all the welfare recipients that shop there can donate their money to less fortunate than them. JMTCW.
04-27-2008, 08:13 AM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
I would be interested to know how many people have issues about buying from Walmart.
I am adamantly against shopping at WalMart. Not only will I not shop there I won't even enter their doors. I don't care how cheap stuff is there they are not going to get my hard earned money. I will gladly spend more elsewhere than buy it (whatever it is) there. I ain't "uppity", just informed as to their global domination of the retail sales market. I've been to some of the poorest countries in the world and witnessed first hand how Walmart keeps their prices low. I have seen Walmart close stores in Canada because the workers became unionized or even hinted that they wanted to exercise their democratic right to join a legal trade union.

They are the bullies of the retail world and I hate bullies!

QuoteQuote:
I wonder if some of the folks who are to uppity to be seen shopping at Walmart wouldn't, in the anonymity of the internet, turn over their credit card number to Broadway Photo for one hell of a smart bargain!
Nope - not shopping there either; they have a horrible customer satisfaction rating and I don't trust them. That would just be dumb.
04-27-2008, 09:53 AM   #15
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
I am adamantly against shopping at WalMart. Not only will I not shop there I won't even enter their doors. I don't care how cheap stuff is there they are not going to get my hard earned money. I will gladly spend more elsewhere than buy it (whatever it is) there. I ain't "uppity", just informed as to their global domination of the retail sales market. I've been to some of the poorest countries in the world and witnessed first hand how Walmart keeps their prices low. I have seen Walmart close stores in Canada because the workers became unionized or even hinted that they wanted to exercise their democratic right to join a legal trade union.

They are the bullies of the retail world and I hate bullies!

Nope - not shopping there either; they have a horrible customer satisfaction rating and I don't trust them. That would just be dumb.
I second the motion. I'll switch everything to Nikon before buying even a Pentax battery at a Walmart store. I totally agree with staying away from them.

If anyone thinks they give a Flying F@#K, read this. Brain-damaged woman at center of Wal-Mart suit - CNN.com

They will stop at nothing to wipe out competition and even to the point of turning small towns into ghost towns. There are cheap alternatives. Thank God for K Mart, Target and Zellers. Support them.

Jeff I'll do you one better. I only ever bought one thing in their stores and that's because they lost money on the deal. I cut through one of the Walmart stores here that's in a mall. I'd been looking for a bike for my son at the time. C. tire had the one I wanted. But I decided to check their price anyway. They had the same model with an incorrect price tag (wrong UPC on the tag and wrong model number) the correct price was on the rear reflector. So I said to the clerk, get me one. After 45 minutes of fighting with the section manager and then the manager, I walked out with a $400 bike for $199. They thought they could bully me into leaving because it had been mis-tagged. Not a chance.