Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
05-08-2014, 02:07 PM   #1

Pentax no longer providing parts for DSLR diy repairs

Not sure if folks are aware but I was trying to get a part to repair a K-x DSLR and I was told they are no longer providing parts to the general public but are required to go through a third party service company...the one they referred me to was chris or something like that...when I contacted them they informed me they will not sell parts either but I was welcome to send it in to them for repair...what a joke.

looks like I will be ditching all Pentax products I have and switch to a company that actually provides customers with what they need to use their products!

In the past dealing with Pentax parts was enough of a pain in the keister that I dreaded my interactions with them but this is the final straw for me...and I would bet many other users of their products!

05-08-2014, 02:28 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Bad move by Pentax, if true.
05-08-2014, 02:34 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Nikon made the same change a couple of years back. I think it's ridiculous, but at the same time I don't think I'd ever try to repair a DSLR myself.
05-08-2014, 02:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Dodgy repairs by DIY'ers who bodge something together in order to sell a 'working' camera on ebay etc could definitely give the brand a bad name.
We may have paid for our copy of the hardware but we don't own the name or the engineering.

05-08-2014, 02:42 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Dodgy repairs by DIY'ers who bodge something together in order to sell a 'working' camera on ebay etc could definitely give the brand a bad name.
We may have paid for our copy of the hardware but we don't own the name or the engineering.

I don't think this excuses the company from this poor decision.

Your reason of when buying on ebay does not hold water for me. They have buyer protection that greatly favors the buyer over the seller so I am not sure I believe this is a valid reason for not providing parts to purchasers of your products...but each to their own I guess...if you don't feel confident in your abilities to repair simple things then clearly you should not, and continue to rely on others who are capable.

as far as owning the name or engineering I would disagree...I gave them my hard earned money for a product. What I choose to do with it afterwards is entirely up to me...I did not purchase a digital use license for a limited time or such as until it no longer works exactly as it did out of the box.
05-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
Bad move by Pentax, if true.

Very much agreed...I spoke with Paul, I believe it was, in the customer service department at their 8008770155 number this afternoon and found out after a bit of a run around...I was first given a repair and parts number to Chris cameras or something only to be told that they only repair and don't provide parts...Chris camera then told me to call Pentax back and that I could get parts from them...when I called Pentax back again...3rd or 4th time I was told that Chris camera should have known that Pentax was no longer selling parts to consumers and that is when I gave up with them...I will still try and get my camera fixed as I think I can find another parts supplier but I will no longer do any business with Pentax or Chris camera in the future even if that means trashing my K-x and going with a different brand...

It really is a shame though as I really like the K-x as a workhorse camera for my kids to use and for their sporting events and trips where I didn't want to have to worry about my damaging my "good" camera.
05-08-2014, 02:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrettC Quote
I don't think this excuses the company from this poor decision..
It's only a poor decision for those who don't like it

My suggested scenario above might not have held water for you personally, but that really changes nothing.
eBay buyer protection does not protect Ricoh/Pentax - only the buyer. eBay was used as one example only.

as far as owning the name or engineering I would disagree...
I have no problem with that.

05-08-2014, 03:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Er, it will still be possible to get the parts through C.R.I.S., right? So what's the issue?

The Nikon case was much different. Nikon stopped selling repair parts. Period. Nikons have to be repaired by Nikon.
05-08-2014, 03:07 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
Er, it will still be possible to get the parts through C.R.I.S., right? So what's the issue?

The Nikon case was much different. Nikon stopped selling repair parts. Period. Nikons have to be repaired by Nikon.
Ahh...C.R.I.S. huh...lol..ok...no they told me they will not sell parts to consumers either and referred me back to Pentax who said C.R.I.S. should have already known this
05-08-2014, 03:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Hopefully things have changed with Ricoh, as one might argue Pentax didn't supply parts to CHRIS either. (from the sounds of things they may be getting worse??)
I have a feeling CHRIS had to pull some teeth to get parts for their repairs.
A common repair would always be on back order for at least four to eight+ weeks.

If Pentax cannot keep up supply to the one and only repair center in the entire US, they certainly can't supply parts to individuals.

It is honestly the biggest (maybe the only?) reason I have for dumping my Pentax equipment next time around.
You simply cannot get your stuff fixed in a decent amount of time. Pro or otherwise... I mean even a soccer mom will miss most of the season if a repair is necessary.

It just ain't right.
05-08-2014, 03:08 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
It's only a poor decision for those who don't like it

My suggested scenario above might not have held water for you personally, but that really changes nothing.
eBay buyer protection does not protect Ricoh/Pentax - only the buyer. eBay was used as one example only.

I have no problem with that.

Fair enough I suppose clearly we have different standards by which we value our individuality and abilities.
05-08-2014, 03:23 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Not sure if folks are aware but I was trying to get a part to repair a K-x DSLR and I was told they are no longer providing parts to the general public but are required to go through a third party service company...the one they referred me to was chris or something like that...when I contacted them they informed me they will not sell parts either but I was welcome to send it in to them for repair...what a joke.

looks like I will be ditching all Pentax products I have and switch to a company that actually provides customers with what they need to use their products!

In the past dealing with Pentax parts was enough of a pain in the keister that I dreaded my interactions with them but this is the final straw for me...and I would bet many other users of their products!
Well before you get too wrought up at Pentax, I believe they may not be alone.

I think both Canon and Nikon have similar policies. I could be wrong so if anyone knows differently, please correct me.
05-08-2014, 03:30 PM   #13
mee
Veteran Member

We have a thread over here about it from last month https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/137-photographic-industry-professionals/2...dividuals.html
05-08-2014, 04:45 PM   #14

Original Poster
I got an email address for James Malcolm from a friend who knows him and sent him an angry email basically reiterating some of the things I posted earlier. I wonder if he will reply...if he does I will post a summary of his response if appropriate.
05-08-2014, 04:47 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I think both Canon and Nikon have similar policies. I could be wrong so if anyone knows differently, please correct me.
Last I heard, Canon will still sell to anyone. They no longer provide technical support to people who want to know how to repair an item.
Closed Thread