QuoteOriginally posted by zygonyx Quote
why ?
srsly?
07-01-2014, 06:59 AM   #108
Site Supporter

If Ricoh doesn't follow what i mean, definitely yes, Ricoh is doomed
07-14-2014, 09:53 PM   #109
Pentaxian

I am thinking that the entire camera industry in general will be in a world of hurt, if some are not in it already. Too many players in a shrinking market. Smaller players will be pushed out. If Ricoh hadn't picked it up, Pentax would have been gone by now.

07-17-2014, 10:57 PM   #110
Site Supporter

Well, we're past mid-July, and no sniff of a special anniversary announcement (with an 'L' or any other letter)...

Unless 'XG-1' is their celebratory effort. 'L' is sort of in between those two letters.

Another hope dashed...next date is photokina. There must be something there (here we go again)
07-18-2014, 12:05 AM   #111
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
Well, we're past mid-July, and no sniff of a special anniversary announcement (with an 'L' or any other letter)...

Unless 'XG-1' is their celebratory effort. 'L' is sort of in between those two letters.

Another hope dashed...next date is photokina. There must be something there (here we go again)
I think XG-1 is just a teaser. Maybe we'll see something in Photokina.
07-18-2014, 01:33 PM   #112
Site Supporter

You mean XK-1 for FF premium ?
07-18-2014, 03:09 PM   #113
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
You mean XK-1 for FF premium ?
And XK-120 for 6x6 premium camera?

07-18-2014, 03:28 PM   #114
mee
Site Supporter

haha

Like I said... there likely would be no anniversary announcement.. if anything keychains and can cozies. I mean I never saw the point in celebrating such an anniversary with an entire camera release.. it is beneficial to the oldies that were around 50 years ago shooting Pentax to feel warm and fuzzy.. but beyond that, it makes more sense to launch at a trade show or when ready for max impact.
07-18-2014, 03:49 PM   #115
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In the past when milestones for Pentax came up, the company took an existing camera and issued it in a special, limited edition. There was a gold-plated Pentax LX to mark the 10 millionth camera made by Pentax, and a titanium LX to mark the 75th anniversary of Asahi/Pentax, with 300 copies only of each model issued for sale. Similar special edition issues of existing production cameras have been produced by other companies, such as a 50 year special edition Leica. So a unique K3 is what I would expect, if anything.
07-18-2014, 03:54 PM   #116
Pentaxian

How about a cake? That would be nice.
07-18-2014, 04:17 PM   #117
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
haha

Like I said... there likely would be no anniversary announcement.. if anything keychains and can cozies. I mean I never saw the point in celebrating such an anniversary with an entire camera release.. it is beneficial to the oldies that were around 50 years ago shooting Pentax to feel warm and fuzzy.. but beyond that, it makes more sense to launch at a trade show or when ready for max impact.
I don't know, personally I can see the point in taking advantage of the company's past. Not just to give 'oldies' a warm and fuzzy, but to say to newbies 'hey, we're a brand that's been around a long time, we know what we're doing'. That's particularly relevant for Pentax, which isn't as high on the radar as it once was, and should be using everything available to increase their credibility in the marketplace.

I also think that a pre-photokina announcement wouldn't be such a bad idea. Launching at a big tradeshow runs the risk of being drowned out by all the other manufacturers' big announcements, which could reduce the impact.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter what I think. We all know that they do what they want, when they want, and our thoughts have little relevance.
07-18-2014, 05:32 PM   #118
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
In the past when milestones for Pentax came up, the company took an existing camera and issued it in a special, limited edition. There was a gold-plated Pentax LX to mark the 10 millionth camera made by Pentax, and a titanium LX to mark the 75th anniversary of Asahi/Pentax, with 300 copies only of each model issued for sale. Similar special edition issues of existing production cameras have been produced by other companies, such as a 50 year special edition Leica. So a unique K3 is what I would expect, if anything.
Gee, I don't know. I thought LX marked the sixtieth anniversary of Asahi Optical Co. While not preciesly on the date it was said to have been released in honor of that anyway.
07-18-2014, 05:58 PM   #119
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't know, personally I can see the point in taking advantage of the company's past. Not just to give 'oldies' a warm and fuzzy, but to say to newbies 'hey, we're a brand that's been around a long time, we know what we're doing'. That's particularly relevant for Pentax, which isn't as high on the radar as it once was, and should be using everything available to increase their credibility in the marketplace.

I also think that a pre-photokina announcement wouldn't be such a bad idea. Launching at a big tradeshow runs the risk of being drowned out by all the other manufacturers' big announcements, which could reduce the impact.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter what I think. We all know that they do what they want, when they want, and our thoughts have little relevance.
I think you're right on all counts. It's probably even more important to affirm your existing customers than to gain new ones, as important as that is. Engaging in faux nostalgia to attract new buyers can be tricky though (look at the way the Nikon Df was marketed, as an example).

The available gap for a pre-Photokina announcement is closing rapidly, now, so if anything significant is going to appear, it's likely to be in the two weeks beforehand.
07-18-2014, 06:14 PM   #120
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Gee, I don't know. I thought LX marked the sixtieth anniversary of Asahi Optical Co. While not preciesly on the date it was said to have been released in honor of that anyway.
The special titanium version was issued in 1994 for the 75th anniversary. The gold version was earlier.

---------- Post added 07-18-14 at 09:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
How about a cake? That would be nice.
Can't eat your cake then photograph it too.