Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2014, 06:20 PM   #121
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
I don't know, personally I can see the point in taking advantage of the company's past. Not just to give 'oldies' a warm and fuzzy, but to say to newbies 'hey, we're a brand that's been around a long time, we know what we're doing'. That's particularly relevant for Pentax, which isn't as high on the radar as it once was, and should be using everything available to increase their credibility in the marketplace.

I also think that a pre-photokina announcement wouldn't be such a bad idea. Launching at a big tradeshow runs the risk of being drowned out by all the other manufacturers' big announcements, which could reduce the impact.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter what I think. We all know that they do what they want, when they want, and our thoughts have little relevance.

That is an interesting thought about marketing the brand based on legacy..

And, yes, what we say here has very little relevance to the company management... yet it doesn't stop all of us from posting armchair tactics and strategies... sadly. haha

07-19-2014, 12:20 AM   #122
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
The special titanium version was issued in 1994 for the 75th anniversary. The gold version was earlier.
Yep, but the LX itself is an anniversary cam (60 years of Asahi). LX=60.
07-19-2014, 02:45 AM   #123
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I recall the LX was introduced during 1981. I bought my MX at the beginning of the year and the LX was not available. Late in the year one of my classmates got one. And I recall the gold limited edition came about the same time, it might even have been a limited edition that came at the time of introduction of the LX.
07-19-2014, 03:27 AM   #124
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
The special titanium version was issued in 1994 for the 75th anniversary. The gold version was earlier.
I think we're in agreement on these naming conventions and special anniversary editions - but naming the original camera LX was intended to mark the 60th anniversary of the company - so Pentax has issued and named at least one non-special-edition camera to mark a larger anniversary (which was the OP's original question).

From Dimitrov's K-Mount Page:

The gold LX is a special edition body commemorating the 10 millionth Pentax SLR camera. Only three hundred of these 24-carat gold-plated units were manufactured. Each one was sold in a set with the gold SMC 50/1.2 Gold lens.

The titanium LX is a special edition body celebrating the 75th anniversary of Asahi Opt. Co. Only one thousand of these bodies were manufactured. Each one features titanium top and bottom plates. The LX limited is a special edition body celebrating 15 years of LX production. The body features a titanium top and bottom plates which are painted in black, and carries the inscription "titanium". The LX 2000 is a special edition body celebrating LX production in the year 2000. The body was sold in a set with the SMC-A 50/1.2 Special lens. This body comes with the FF-60 viewing scren, and not with the "standard" SC-21.